Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
626 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  5:05:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We have a Murphy Oil Plant within 20 miles of us, where tankers go to fill up. They have put in a Express Station in town......This morning it was a 1.49, by noon 1.38, mid afternoon it went to 1.29, then 1.14 and right now it 1.13. It's all the Radio and TV Stations are talking about.
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  6:02:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
WOW, and I went nuts when I saw gas for 1.55 in Fayetteville today.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  05:18:41 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here in NW WI., we just saw a 10 cent drop again. We are now at $179.9. We can be all appreciate the decrease--for now. But, the newspapers are now saying that due to the millions of people laid off, food prices are going to go sky-high, gas prices arent going to mean much, when we cant afford to put food on the table.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  05:38:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Why would food prices go up because people are laid off? If anything, because of lower fuels costs, the price should go down because almost all food is trucked in and oil based products are used in fertilizers, packaging and many other food related items. There is a very good book which covers this in far greater detail: Eating Oil - Energy Use in Food Production. Westview Press, Boulder, CO. 1978

Gas is still around $1.65 here.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62073 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  08:55:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
$1.67 today.
Go to Top of Page

ShelliHoskins
Star Contributor

Indianapolis, IN
USA
324 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  2:28:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
$1.41

Shelli ;)
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  9:24:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
$1.89

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  09:42:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was down to $1.37 here yesterday....one of the 'experts' predicted it would actually get back down to $1 a gallon....can you believe that?

Oh, my....I still remember whe it was well under $1...guess that really dates me! lol
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  10:04:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just talked to my Mom, and they are paying 1.49 euro...a LITER ( in France)! That's about 5.62 euros per US gallon, or about $7.30 USD. AND, that's a low compare to the summer time when they paid 1.79 a liter, or 6.80 a US gallon, which would be $8.77 USD.

I guess it's not so bad for us after all....

$1.51 here in good ol' Minnesota yesterday. Maralyn, can you beat that today?

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  10:22:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw signs for $1.45 yesterday and heard about under $1 gas in Texas on the radio yesterday.

I long for the olden days. When I bought my first car and took it for a fill-up I paid $.27 a gallon. Gas stations were competing for business and kept dropping the price, with cars lined up for blocks where the cheapest prices could be found. At the time I couldn't comprehend how it made much of a difference to the consumer to pay one or two pennies less per gallon if you had to sit and let your car idle, eating up extra fuel while waiting your turn. Still don't.

I also always went for full-service, which was about a nickel more per gallon--back in the days when it was still available and we all knew we should "trust our car to the man who wears the star." Full service is still available at one gas station near my home. I was quite surprised to see that when I moved here.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
626 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  12:29:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Servanne, It is at 1.39 yesterday and 1.29 today, not out much today, the weather is really bad....started out and had to come home. Tornadoes are not my idea of fun. 57 right now, suppose to have snow showers tonight and be 61 tomorrow. Just weather in the south.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  07:48:36 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Quinn, to answer your question as to why food prices are rising, take a good look at what fuel/deisel prices were last spring/ summer. Also, with less people in the workforce to manufacture goods,supply and demand will effect the prices we pay. Less product will be available, due to the lack of employees, or materials, to produce that item. The manufacturer saves money by laying off,but then has to adjust his prices to keep the company viable.
The farmers experienced high seed and fertilizer prices at a time when planting was to begin,on through harvesting ,proccessing and transporting. These costs will reflect the price we pay at the supermarket for a longtime, as the farmers/processers try to recoup some of the investment they made and lost. Yes, we have lower fuel costs NOW, but we will be paying higher prices, they say for at least a couple more years,to recoup their losses, and we all know that when food prices go up, seldom do they come back down. Locally, vegetables have skyrocketed, canned or fresh, meat has gone off the charts,and cereals contain less ounces per box to make up the price changes, just to list a few. I could go on and on. Even prices at our local "farmers markets" have doubled in price. $1.69 a pound for garden fresh string beans and white potatoes. Now figure that out for the cost of a bushel! That bushel of beans or potatoes would have cost me almost $100! Every aspect of farming has almost doubled, and eventually gets passed down to the consumer. Wages didnt rise, but the costs associated with every facet of getting that product in the ground/out,plus higher costs for electricity and natural gas to operate machinery to proccess, also skyrocketed. Then also too, diesel fuel went out of sight in price to get that product to the supermarkets, or wherever it was to be sold, depending on the product being shipped. IF product/merchandise of any kind was shipped over land or sea, semi- truck or train, to your location, the added costs of shipping, (higher fuel charges),they are passed on through a price adjustment, to the item you purchase as a consumer.
Go to Top of Page

ShelliHoskins
Star Contributor

Indianapolis, IN
USA
324 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  3:08:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
$1.29...only took $15 to fill up!

Shelli ;)
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62073 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  3:12:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
$1.62 currently
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  6:00:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, thank you for elaborating. I am well aware of how the high fuel costs earlier this year are affecting the current price of food and how it will for some time. This was not mentioned in your initial post and I was just stating that, in my opinion, people being laid off has little or no impact on the price of food unless they work in the food industry. However, layoffs in food related industries would lower their costs and thus have a smaller impact on the price of the finished product.

Gas is sitting at 1.65 here.
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Cassada
Valued Contributor

Rio Grande, NJ
USA
193 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  1:13:32 PM  Send Jennifer Cassada an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gas here in Central PA is 1.58-1.79...all within 2 miles of each other. I love the places that have even more off when paying cash.
Diesel is still ridiculous and we just traded in our truck last week for a gas powered engine.

Shopping the South Jersey Shore
Go to Top of Page

DarleneH
Star Contributor

Cleveland, OH
USA
1322 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  3:05:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's went up yesterday to 1.79 in Cleveland.
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  5:46:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Down to $1.79 in north central West Virginia.

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Deby P
Valued Contributor

Orlando, FL
USA
139 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  9:38:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have noticed from $1.59 to $1.99 just in Orlando. Seems to be staying steady.

Deby P
Serving Orlando and beyond
MSPA Silver Certifed
Study in process for Gold
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  07:50:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We've been oscillating between $1.64 and $1.69 for a while now.

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums