Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Elsie
Star Contributor

Camuy, Puerto Rico
USA
444 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  7:25:52 PM  Visit Elsie's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't know about other states, but here in PR, the consumer affairs agency is going to the gas stations and asking for the invoices to make sure that gas stations are not gouging customers. I know for a fact that once Katrina touched land, prices went up 10 to 20 cents a liter. That is ridiculous here for several reasons:
1) The gas they are selling was bought at a much lower price, and now they are trying to make more profit off their cheap gas.
2) At least here in PR, our crude is from St. Croix, which gets their crude from Venezuela, which is much cheaper than getting it from the Gulf of Mexico, which means that we are not affected by what happened in the Gulf. I'm sure that in other places in the US, this is the same situation.

I recommend complaining fiercely and constantly to the consumers affair agency in order for them to start doing their job and making sure that distributors and stations alike are not engaging in price gouging, which seems like exactly what is happening.

Shopping Puerto Rico! I wanna merchandise too. Help!
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  01:15:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lynda, love the picture!

Elsie, good advice. I'm not going to call based on one experience, and since I almost never prepay a set amount, I probably won't notice it unless the gouging is bad. Usually, even if I prepay, I pay more than I need so I can fill the tank, so I don't see it stopping before I'm ready for it to stop. But I'm not at all hesitant about reporting it when I think I've been cheated.
Go to Top of Page

.ChristinaHall
Inactive

Louisville, KY
USA
2126 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  01:26:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I watched some news magazine show a long time ago about how some gas stations will rip you off. The machines were (somehow) calibrated to where if you stopped on an even say, 10 gallons worth of gas, it would be the correct amount, but, if you stopped on a random number, it would way overcharge.
I'm not a very technical person, but, I guess it can be done. (I think most people are honest, but, some will cheat ya)

Christina Hall
silver certified zqst3x
Go to Top of Page

Lynda
Contributor

Ontario
Canada
63 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  11:41:19 AM  Visit Lynda's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hubby bought gas this morning at $1.34.4/litre in Owen Sound, Ontario. That was at a self-serve station for the cheapest gas. Ouch!
Go to Top of Page

LauraMarie
Star Contributor

CA
USA
412 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  2:32:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I stood in a long line at Costco and filled up last week at $2.75 a gallon. Everywhere else it was $2.90 at the time. Since then, it has exceeded $3 all over town!

Busily shopping all cities in San Bernardino County, Riverside County, Los Angeles County and Orange County.
Go to Top of Page

.ChristinaHall
Inactive

Louisville, KY
USA
2126 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  4:09:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I quit selling insurance last year when it went to a little over $2.00 a gallon. I can't imagine what people who have to drive a lot for a living are doing.

Tighten your (seat) belts; it's going to be a bumpy ride!

Christina Hall
silver certified zqst3x
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  6:23:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Funny thing: This morning, the expensive Main Line gas stations that were at $3.41-$3.46 went down to $3.31-$3.33. But the Malvern gas stations that were at $3.29-$3.31 haven't budged.

I got another four gallons today. I pre-paid $20 so it wouldn't run out early on me and got my change after pumping the 4 gallons. As soon as the price changes, up or down, though, I'm filling up. My car gets cranky on a low tank.
Go to Top of Page

SelenePN
Star Contributor

Fairfax, VA
USA
942 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  8:51:22 PM  Send SelenePN an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Last week (8/31/05) it was $2.82 at a Citgo in Norfolk, while the BP directly across the street being $3.02. Both of them were at the 4-way intersection. I said to my DH, "Who would not make a left turn to go to the 20-cents-cheaper Citgo?" 2 days later, the same Citgo was $3.39, and the BP was $3.17. Today, however, they were both $3.29. The gas prices in this area (near Norfolk Naval Base) ranges a lot (and I mean on the same day). Some stations were $3.09 and others were $3.39, and of course all kinds of prices in between (and they were all within 5 miles from one another). I wish I had filled up last week, but I didn't.

Thanks,
Selene
Go to Top of Page

LimorB
Contributor

CT
USA
90 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  08:22:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
$3.64 in New Canaan, CT
ouch
Go to Top of Page

Donnabella
Star Contributor

Peoria, AZ
USA
369 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  9:24:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Idaho gas prices have stabilized since the spike. We are just below $3.00, at $2.95 ($2.88 at Costco).

What's sad is looking at this post when it came out July 2005. People were complaining about prices being just over $2.00....THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!

Donna
Shopping the Metropolitan Phoenix Area
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  03:58:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This is what I don't understand. Right after Hurricane Katrina oil went up to over $70/barrel. Thats what caused gas prices to skyrocket. Now oil is back down to around $64/barrel. Why haven't gas prices gone down? We are paying between $3.19 and $3.59 per gallon here. It has had one positive affect on me. I have slowed down! For the first time in my driving life I am actually observing the speed limits on the streets and expressways.

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

CarolynNC
Star Contributor

Landis, NC
USA
1204 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  05:15:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just can NOT understand how they could jack up the price of the gas that was ALREADY in their tanks at the stations. They didn't pay any more for it...AND, most knew they would not get fuel trucked in till a few days later SOOOOOO, they thought they would PICK our pockets to make MORE on what they paid LESS for to start with.....and after they got their gas shipment in, they still won't drop the prices any. How money hungry are these people!! They should take that money that they 'stole' from us and give it to the victims of the hurricane

I'm not asleep....I'm checking for light leaks! :)
Go to Top of Page

BlueAbe
Star Contributor

Mid-Central, Ohio
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  05:18:43 AM  Visit BlueAbe's Homepage  Send BlueAbe an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Why lower their prices? They saw a opportunity to raise the gas prices. Americans are still driving, and they are buying gasoline at the price it is. They now feel its acceptable to charge that much since we have no problem paying it. We're still buying those huge trucks and SUV's.

It's not so much the gas stations as it is the oil companies. At the same time, the other gas stations raise their prices even though they didn't get a new shipment of gas. This is why:
The oil that is pumped takes about a month to process before it ever reachs the gas station.
Example:
A gas station is selling gasoline, and hears that oil went up to $68 a barrel. The current gas he only paid $64/barrel. This is going to cause loss, so he raises his price before the next shipment to try and recover. Two days later, gas drops to $65/barrel from the $68/barrel, however, he is still selling the gasoline of which he paid $68/barrel. Other gas stations have already lowered their price, so he lowers his causing a loss on the current gasoline. If he hadn't raised his price on the $64/barrrel gasoline, he would now be in the red on the current gasoline he's selling that he paid more for.

However, this process has stopped since hurricane Katrina. Gas shot up because they thought there was a shortage coming, ect, they needed to make a profit due to the cost of oil going to come and they wanted to recover the soon to be lost money. Here's the problem, the oil is much cheaper now, but they are still charging the same amount creating a huge profit as they are now not losing any money from the oil that became expensive a few weeks ago. This isn't acceptable, but our wonderful president isn't doing anything about it.

In the state of Michigan, our govenor contacted the oil company and asked they lower their prices under $3/gallon last week. In response, all gas stations lowed their price to $2.99 but have not budged at all since.

Gold certified since the beginning. Merchandising, Mystery shopping, & Court Research throughout Mid-Central Ohio.
Go to Top of Page

EliseWeav
Star Contributor

Boston, MA
USA
528 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  08:18:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gas here actually has gone down. 3.19 today at my local station (which is not the cheapest), 2 days ago at the same station it was 3.25. Last week, before Labor Day weekend, at the same Mobil station, it was $2.99.

Elise
Boston area, especially North Shore. Silver certified and shopping since 2004.
Go to Top of Page

JGallica
Star Contributor

Vancouver, BC
Canada
373 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  12:26:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elsie

I recommend complaining fiercely and constantly to the consumers affair agency in order for them to start doing their job and making sure that distributors and stations alike are not engaging in price gouging, which seems like exactly what is happening.

Great post Elsie. Here in BC the price has risen sharply since Katrina. It looks exactly like price gauging.

I and others here are complaining to our consumer affairs agency. Hopefully they will look into it.

Jen

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping North Vancouver to White Rock
Go to Top of Page

DianeM
Star Contributor

Michigan
USA
746 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  3:19:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Prices here in the Detroit Metro area have dropped significantly. They've been averaging around $2.99/gal. for regular and today I noticed it has come down to $2.89, some stations I saw were at $2.86.
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  6:09:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Prices haven't budged here, except that the Wawa where I get gas came down 10 cents to $3.19 tonight. NONE of the other places have changed, but they probably will tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  7:05:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wonder how the gas retailers and suppliers explain away the disparities in price within a small region. Lisa, I live just a county or two away from you and can't touch gas for less than $3.34...and that is at a Wawa.
Go to Top of Page

Sarena11
Valued Contributor

Rancho Cucamonga, California
USA
133 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  7:14:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SelenePN

Last week (8/31/05) it was $2.82 at a Citgo in Norfolk, while the BP directly across the street being $3.02. Both of them were at the 4-way intersection. I said to my DH, "Who would not make a left turn to go to the 20-cents-cheaper Citgo?" 2 days later, the same Citgo was $3.39, and the BP was $3.17. Today, however, they were both $3.29. The gas prices in this area (near Norfolk Naval Base) ranges a lot (and I mean on the same day). Some stations were $3.09 and others were $3.39, and of course all kinds of prices in between (and they were all within 5 miles from one another). I wish I had filled up last week, but I didn't.

I don't want to get political...but did you know that CITGO is owned by the Venezuelan government. And they are anything but on our side when it comes to gasoline!

On a seperate note...here in California our prices shot up like everyone else right after Katrina. Our pipeline comes from Alaska, not the Gulf Coast...explain that one. I know that supply and demand come into play, but give me a break! And the cost of crude oil is down several dollars a barrel...and the price decrease has not fully been passed down to consumers anywhere, yet. Sickening!

Shopping the Inland Empire in SoCal.
Go to Top of Page

Sarena11
Valued Contributor

Rancho Cucamonga, California
USA
133 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  7:22:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlueAbe

A gas station is selling gasoline, and hears that oil went up to $68 a barrel. The current gas he only paid $64/barrel. This is going to cause loss, so he raises his price before the next shipment to try and recover. Two days later, gas drops to $65/barrel from the $68/barrel, however, he is still selling the gasoline of which he paid $68/barrel. Other gas stations have already lowered their price, so he lowers his causing a loss on the current gasoline. If he hadn't raised his price on the $64/barrrel gasoline, he would now be in the red on the current gasoline he's selling that he paid more for.

However, the guy who owns the gas station doesn't have anything to do with pricing. He gets the pricing directly from the oil company that he is selling it for. It is based on many factors, one being demographics. Just like with other retailers, if you live in a higher income area...you pay more. Obviouslly, this is not the only factor but a maddening one at that. This is why the same brand of gas can be very different just a few miles from each other. The gas station owners are not always a fan of this. The station owners don't make any money, hardly, selling gas. Same as a movie theatre owner doesn't with movies. These are people who sell concessions and convenience goods. Gas is just a way for you to come into their store. I heard one report a few years ago that stated the average gas station owner makes about 1 penny per gallon!!!

Shopping the Inland Empire in SoCal.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums