Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueAbe
Star Contributor

Mid-Central, Ohio
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  05:55:16 AM  Visit BlueAbe's Homepage  Send BlueAbe an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Has anyone noticed recently a bunch of old threads coming up saying there are new posts, but when you open it, the newest post was 3+ days ago with no new posts?

Gold certified since the beginning. Merchandising, Mystery shopping, & Court Research throughout Mid-Central Ohio.

Laura_In_Az
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
307 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  07:31:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It happens to me a lot. And not just 3+ days-sometimes it's been months since a last posting.
Go to Top of Page

Andi
Star Contributor

FL
USA
740 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  07:39:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've noticed it, too.

Andi
MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping Central Eastern Florida
Go to Top of Page

AdAora
Star Contributor

Deep in the heart of, TX
USA
3770 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  08:08:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think the moderators are just trying to reintroduce old threads that might be of interest once again, to add variety to the forum and help other threads go into hibernation. Maybe we aren't introducing a lot of new topics.

Gold certified in TX
Go to Top of Page

LauraB
Star Contributor

Frederick, MD
USA
921 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  09:46:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think AdA is right. Also, if someone alters or deletes an old post, the thread moves up as current, even though nothing new may be evident.

MSPA Gold Certified #4xgoix
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  08:09:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've noticed that old threads tend to pop up when someone posts a new thread on a topic that has already been covered. In cases like that I believe that the moderators delete the new thread and refresh the old ones that apply.

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  8:52:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm glad somebody else questions this. I've noticed it quite a bit. Sometimes the latest post is several months old. I asked about it one time just as a matter of curiousity but didn't really understand (or remember) the answer I got.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  05:17:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gayle, as you can see this thread is three years old

Moderators bring up old threads, if somebody posted something similar as a new thread. They don't want duplicates. That's why we are always encouraged to do a search first before posting something new.

They also may bring up old threads for info purposes. New members may find it interesting.

Lastely, if anything has been changed in that thread like somebody decides to correct something in an old post, it will pop up again.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  8:58:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Boy, do I feel dumb, I didn't even notice the thread was 3 yr. old. But I guess that is a good example of the topic of old threads showing up with no new info. So many of them will say Last Post 5/26/2008 for example & actually the last post can be anywhere from weeks to months or in this case even years old. And nothing has been added or edited because the name given as the last post is sometimes not even in the thread.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

SheilaInTX

N Texas
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  9:26:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
(Edited on Oct 9th for clarity!)

If this thread from 2008 about old threads is being bumped behind the scenes by moderators to keep it near the top of this forum ... Thank you!

On numerous occasions I've noticed threads at the top in the MS forum with a new post date but found no new post when I read the thread itself. I thought it was happening in error, but I now know different, thanks to this old thread being here! I've seen plenty of forums with 'sticky' threads elsewhere, but have never seen old threads bumped this way before.

Is there some way the mods can add a marker of some kind to indicate the thread's not actually got any new post/s? Some way to maintain the original last post date perhaps?

Either way, at least I now know neither me nor my computer are losing our minds ... I hope?!

Sheila in TX ...
MSPA Silver & NARMS certified.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  11:20:17 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SheilaInTX
Is there some way the mods can add a marker of some kind to indicate the thread's not actually got any new post/s? Some way to maintain the original last post date perhaps?

I have thought of that, but usually within an hour of moving a relevant old topic up to the front page, someone will reply and then that will be the new post you thought you would be seeing.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly F.
Star Contributor

WA
USA
563 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  1:47:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
so i'm NOT going insane. I feel so much better. Especially after seeing that i replied to one that was 4 years old and i didn't even look at the date until someone else pointed it out,felt like a retard there for a minute!!

Kelly,
Silver Certified.
Merchandising The Puget Sound Area and Loving it! Love what you do, do what you love!
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  2:21:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Even if a person goes in and edits one of their old responses, it will show up then as a new post. I have occasionally been reading one of my old posts and notice a typo. After I correct the typo, the post shows up as new.

I like to browse through old posts. Sometimes I find some that I would like to comment on. It doesn't make any difference to me if it was started two years ago or not. If the subject is interesting to me, maybe some others might like to have it brought to light again.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

BlueAbe
Star Contributor

Mid-Central, Ohio
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  7:26:57 PM  Visit BlueAbe's Homepage  Send BlueAbe an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kinda like this one, eh? Last post was a year ago, but it showed up fresh for me today. Creepily eery

Gold certified since the beginning. Merchandising, Mystery shopping, & Court Research throughout Mid-Central Ohio.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums