Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6340 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  08:59:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Scott (and yes,rolled to the front!...even the little icon indicates this as the right way )

Abe.....groooooooooannn!
Go to Top of Page

CabrusoBros
Star Contributor

NC
USA
744 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  2:43:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Northern double. Rolled to the front. Charmin is too dang linty!
Go to Top of Page

KathyV

Rural Central, Texas
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  5:07:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We use Scott to the front. There is no way I would switch, no other brand has near enough!

Silver Certified,NARMS Certified, doing only Merchandising now locally
Go to Top of Page

ShawnaL
Star Contributor

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  6:52:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Scott? Isn't it 1-ply? I buy it when I have a coupon and can get it for free or $0.50, but only as a back up. Otherwise I usually use Cottonelle or whatever is on sale that is soft. For paper towels, you can't beat Viva, but they are so darn expensive!!

Shawna
Go to Top of Page

AdAora
Star Contributor

Deep in the heart of, TX
USA
3770 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  7:54:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Angel Soft is my favorite, followed by Cottonelle (when it's deeply discounted).

I hated Mr Whippelle so much that I am still unable to buy Charmin.

Gold certified in TX
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6340 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  8:29:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
That's funny,AdAora...I won't buy Snuggles fabric softener because that little teddy bear annoys the heck out of me.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie M
Star Contributor

TX
USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  04:32:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We switched to Scott when we had 3 kids in the house, because a roll a day was being used. Scott deffinately lasts longer. Dollar General has their own imitation of Scott, which is fine as well. And of course, to the front.....
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  09:58:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm not loyal to any brand; I buy whatever is the current best deal. I'm not picky about toilet paper, but if I were, and I had all the money in the world, I might buy Charmin, since it's the softest. I just can't justify paying the exorbitant price for that stuff, even when I can afford it.

I've used Scott, Northern, Cottonelle and Angel Soft, and they're all good. There is a discernible difference between those 4 and Charmin, and another step down between those 4 and the cheaper store brands, but not enough to make me pay more money for something that's getting sent to the sewer.

I always hang my TP rolled over the front. The other way makes no sense to me.

Considering the fact that our ancestors used pages from the Sears catalog and other similar papers, we are spoiled rotten to even have the cheap toilet paper available, besides the 'luxury' brands.

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~
Go to Top of Page

CathyInMD
Star Contributor

MD
USA
441 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  6:25:59 PM  Visit CathyInMD's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Charmin is the one for me.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping In Maryland
xiffkw
Go to Top of Page

JanB27
Star Contributor

OH
USA
4831 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  7:12:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My husband will only allow Scott in the house.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Kimberly13

Colorado
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  6:30:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We only use Charmin in our home, I refuse to use anything else and will even bring it with me on vacation.
Go to Top of Page

GailGibbsYoung
Star Contributor

Salem, OR
USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  12:51:51 PM  Visit GailGibbsYoung's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I hate them all!!!

I can remember when Delsey (Kimberly Clark's product) was the only two ply on the market and each sheet was exactly like their Kleenex facial tissue.

Then someone came out with Aurora, the first scented, fashion conscious toilet paper (since it was tinted on one side and white on the other). It, too, was like a true facial tissue.

Then back in the late '60s they started messing with toilet paper. It began with Charmin when they did the original promotion. By wrapping the rolls more loosely, it allowed the package to "squish" when Mr. Whipple squeezed it and gave the impression that it was softer. All a marketing ploy that the public bought hook, line, and sinker.

Since then the quality of most toilet paper has gone down hill as follows:

1. Though most are now two ply, each ply is so thin that the two ply hardly equals a single ply of former years.

2. The actual sheet size has changed. Rolls are now narrower and the sheets are shorter than in former years. Sheet count stays the same using less paper.

3. Now there are fewer sheets per roll than in former years.

And now the latest scam. Check the square footage on the so called double rolls. They do not equal double the amount shown for most single rolls. Ditto, the newer, supposedly larger rolls. I think Charmin now has 4 different sizes in their lines.

The only two ply toilet paper I have found then comes anywhere close to the Delsey of yore is Scotts two ply toilet paper that is offered to businesses at Office Depot. Unfortunately it is only available in cases of 20 rolls for $1.25 each or 80 rolls for .90 each. It requires a lot of storage space which I have not had until recently. It seems a bit pricey when you do a cost per roll breakdown, but the each roll is 100 sheets longer than all the other brands offered. Quality is such that you will use less of this per use so it is really cost effective and the quality can't be beat.

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=143280&&An=browse

You can order online and pick up at your local store.

MSPA GOLD CERTIFIED dejlg4
Go to Top of Page

BlueAbe
Star Contributor

Mid-Central, Ohio
USA
2090 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  4:43:42 PM  Visit BlueAbe's Homepage  Send BlueAbe an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have always preferred to the back, as the cats loved it when it was forward. Now, it either sits on the sink, or in the cabinet AWAY from where the cats can get it.

Gold certified since the beginning. Merchandising, Mystery shopping, & Court Research throughout Mid-Central Ohio.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
2867 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  5:59:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gail--if only I had the storage space. And do you remember that awful ad campaign with the neighbors talking about so-and-so has repapered the bathroom? They had gotten new, printed TP. Of course, someone farther down the line figured out the ink was not exactly healthy and the prints are pretty much gone, now. I didn't even think colors were still available.

As for the original question, Northern. Scott is so thin you have to use a lot and Charmin sheds. I don't like picking little lint balls off my kid's backside! I do remember when it was always less than 25 cents per roll. Now it is hard to even find it on sale for that price.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

BridgetM
Star Contributor

Wisconsin
USA
312 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  1:20:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I use Angel Soft. It costs a lot less than other brands and is still soft to the touch.
Go to Top of Page

AnaLiz

Copperas Cove, TX
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  06:26:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Angel soft is my favorite is very soft and inexpensive
Go to Top of Page

Roswitha
Star Contributor

Pinellas Park, FL
USA
445 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  6:33:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Cottonelle...

Roswitha
MSPA Gold Shopping sunny Florida Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Largo .....
Go to Top of Page

RisNJ

NJ
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  07:48:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else get confused by all the different TP varities?

I stick with plain old Scott. Though I have started buying that new softer version (don't know what it's called just that the package is purple). I guess that is good brand identification huh!
Go to Top of Page

Sue-MI
Contributor

Muskegon, MI
USA
75 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  7:00:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Charman ultra triple roll!
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Robinson
Contributor

St. Louis, MO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  7:13:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A little OT, but I once heard that whether someone hangs the roll to the front or back depends upon whether they are left or right handed. I am left handed and my mother always yelled at me for hanging it "the wrong way." Other lefties I know did the same thing. Since then, I have converted and hang it off the front....until my 2 yr old decided that she can do the tp herself. Unfortunately, she hasn't quite mastered tearing it....see cat reference above. It is hard to know whether to laugh or scream when you find her bringing toilet paper from the bathroom all the way into the living room because she has a runny nose.

Gold Certified 8/2004
Shopping St. Louis, MO and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums