Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Support Area
 News/Questions about Volition.com & These Forums
 DO NOT "Reply with Quote" unless you need to quote the person for some reason.
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2003 :  2:41:42 PM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
One tip to everyone - DO NOT Reply with Quotes unless you need to quote the person for some reason.

- Click this either at the top or in a post to just reply.

If you specifically need to reply to something someone said (and need the quote inside your post), then click the Reply with Quotes icon in their post which lets you quote that person. But delete everything but the part you need to reply to specifically reply to.

If you do happen to click the Reply with Quotes icon in the post but do not need the QUOTE, please delete the QUOTE prior to typing your message.

SmileyBecca
Star Contributor

Struthers, OH
USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  5:45:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ray,
I bet that some people just go to the icon on the right end. I wonder if the two icons can be switched. Personally, I go all the way up to the "Reply to Topic" link.

Smiles,
Becca
MSPA SILVER CERTIFIED
Go to Top of Page

MarteeC
Star Contributor

Tampa, FL
USA
1352 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  2:01:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I use the reply arrow at the very bottom of the thread in the dark blue border. Strange how much we are creatures of habit! I do wish there were a way to highlight only the relevant portion of the quote, rather than having to erase back...or am I missing another tip?
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  8:38:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
I do wish there were a way to highlight only the relevant portion of the quote, rather than having to erase back...or am I missing another tip?

Martee...Have you thought about cutting and pasting the part of the post you want to quote? Then, you can use the quote feature to highlight the quote in your message???
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  6:59:59 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
What is a double quoute?

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62073 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  8:44:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
What is a double quoute?
A double quote is when you quote a person who already has a quote in their message.
Example: If I were to quote Clare's post above yours, since it has a quote already in her post, a double quote would appear in my post. (Clare's message plus the message from the person she quoted from.)
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  8:46:56 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, got it. So, let's say you want to post once and reply to a bunch of posters as the same time, using their quotes so your post made sense. You couldn't do it huh? You would have to post each time you wanted to talk about that particular quote....

PamInCa
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  07:55:15 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PamInCa

You would have to post each time you wanted to talk about that particular quote....
No Pam you should only post one time.

What drives most readers crazy is when some one makes a post with:

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I like pie.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe
But what kind?

Then Sam just posts Apple.

Except they are not one line. Each quote is 5 paragraphs and no one can figure out what you are replying to.
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  08:05:18 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marie In Chicago

quote:
What is a double quoute?
A double quote is when you quote a person who already has a quote in their message.
Example: If I were to quote Clare's post above yours, since it has a quote already in her post, a double quote would appear in my post. (Clare's message plus the message from the person she quoted from.)

Ok, so please bear with me. Is this considered a double quote? Since Marie quoted me and I quoted her in the same post?

What is the best way to respond to many posters at the same time. For instance.
Sally writes: I like grocery stores.
Sam writes: I do not as they take forever to enter the reports.
Pam writes: It depends on the company.

John wants to respond to all three posters. How does he accomplish this?

PamInCa
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  08:15:36 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Pam you are asking about something different. A double quote 9 times out of 10, the person is quoting themselves and the person who replied to them. Not replying to several different people.

NOTE THIS IS NOT A RULE, it just really annoys a lot of readers when people QUOTE gigantic messages just to post a reply to one part.
quote:
John wants to respond to all three posters. How does he accomplish this?
I guess like this:

quote:
Sally writes: I like grocery stores.
Yes they are pretty.
quote:
Sam writes: I do not as they take forever to enter the reports.
That is why I buy snacks at the store, to eat while reporting.
quote:
Pam writes: It depends on the company.
So, true. Safeway had too many questions that make no sense. I never do those any more.
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  08:18:18 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks. I think I have it.

PamInCa
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  11:05:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What bothers me is when the poster puts the quote under their response to it. You have to read the post from the bottom up to make sense of it.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  11:05:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is also annoying for someone to quote a long post, whenever they are addressing just one line, word, or comment, within the long post. We've already seen the long post that was quoted, so, we don't need to see the entire message again.

It also takes up a lot of space on the forum to have it shown many times. It is not hard to copy/paste the few words one is responding to, and, include that as a quote.
Go to Top of Page

Sandi In Mississippi
Star Contributor

MS
USA
1285 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  11:26:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Totally agreed that posting entire paragraphs of a prior poster can be confusing. But I was taught portions of a quote could be left out only by inserting ..... to indicate something was missing. The dots (...) clue the reader that some portion of the quote is not exactly as the writer produced it. Otherwise I could quote (for instance) Clare's post below as:

"It is annoying message again." by making these omissions:
It is also annoying for someone to quote a long post, whenever they are addressing just one line, word, or comment, within the long post. We've already seen the long post that was quoted, so, we don't need to see the entire message again.

Since few of us are professional writers such selective quoting of our already sometimes 'unique' posts could alter someone's thoughts and lead to confusion or hard feelings.

Just a nitpicking grammar question!! Does anyone have an opinion or thought on this?

MSPA Gold Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  1:10:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree, Sandi; it's standard practice to use "..." to indicate that a quote is being abridged for the sake of brevity. Omitting that all-important courtesy and necessity leads to the possibility that a quote is being intentionally manipulated for effect and can create a meaning that is far removed from its original intent.

I wouldn't call it nitpicking at all; that is a major grammatical error because that somewhat underhanded technique effectively manufactures thoughts that are falsely attributed to another.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums