Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 How soon is too soon to contact your scheduler when traveling?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

A_Green

Oklahoma
USA
33 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  1:14:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here's the deal. My hubby and I will be taking a trip for part of his school next month, and I'd like to pick up some jobs in the area. I'll be checking all the self-assign places closer to time, and try to get some things that way, but what about the schedulers I need to email? How soon before the trip should I let everyone know? Some I have talked to have mentioned that they don't even schedule jobs as early as two weeks in advance, so I was thinking that could be an earmark.

What do the rest of you think?

A. Green

Shopping Texoma (Madill, Kingston, Tishomingo, Ardmore, Durant, OK and Sherman/Denison, TX) since May, 2003

Arlene_HI
Star Contributor

Lawai, HI
USA
676 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  11:02:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think you are better off sticking with the self assign sites if you want to shop out of area. If you are going to a remote area a scheduler might appreciate knowing a shopper is available, but if you are going to a metro area, there are probably already plenty of shoppers trying for the jobs. There are threads about shopping while traveling/vacation several things to keep in mind.

If you don't know the area well, you could end up in seedy places, you could get lost/stuck in traffic not knowing what to expect and miss shopping windows. Getting the reports entered could be a problem unless you have a laptop and Internet access. Some people use libraries but you have to work within their availability. Hotels and other places often charge (hefty amounts) for Internet and fax.

If you have a strong relationship with a scheduler I might let them know; but otherwise, I doubt that schedulers want to hear from all their shoppers when they travel or vacation. I could be wrong here, but just my
Go to Top of Page

Cilla
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  3:43:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think it's time to revive this subject, since most of Arlene's concerns can now be more easily addressed via technology.

I do contact schedulers when I am going to travel and even so that I can get them to help me plan a profitable long distance roadtrip. I use MS Streets and Trips to get good direction in unfamiliar areas. I make sure that my hotel has free Wi-fi service and that I know the location of the nearest alternate free Wi-fi site, like a Panera Bread. Soon, I will have an aircard so that I can sign on to the Internet without needing anything more than a decent cell phone signal, wherever I am. If you want to shop while you travel, perhaps you should consider an aircard and laptop as necessary tools of the trade.

Finally, I ask the scheduler for "gas money" or parking and tolls if necessary. The worst that happens is that they say, "no."

Enjoy, Cilla

Cilla
MSPA Gold Certified 2005
IMSC Certified 2009
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer S

Selden, NY
USA
49 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  4:57:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Cilla,
Those are some good ideas!

Are the schedualers accomodating with the travel fees?
I would love to do some travel shops if they paid for travel expenses!
Jennifer

Jennifer
Secretly shopping in Long Island NY
Go to Top of Page

Carol C
Star Contributor

Washington, DC
USA
436 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  04:42:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to say, I routinely contact my schedulers when I travel. First off, if I'm flying, they will often want to schedule me for shops post-security in whatever airport I'm traveling through. Second, if I have established myself as a reliable shopper, they are typically happy to schedule me in a different city. If nothing else, they know that they don't have to worry about rotation requirements, since I'll only be doing the shop once.

How far in advance depends on the company. If you know that a particular company tends to schedule all its shops at the beginning of a month, then contact them before the beginning of the month in which you are traveling. If they only schedule a few days in advance, that's the time to contact them.

And do check the boards, as well. Typically, you can search by state and/or by Zip Code, in any location. If there are jobs listed in the city you are going to, whether self-assign or otherwise, you can just apply for them in the normal way. However, it is probably a good idea to contact the scheduler for non-self-assign shops, to let him/her know that you did not just make a mistake in applying, and will in fact be in the area.

Washington, DC-area Gold Certified #cr5xij
MSPA Rookie Shopper of the Year 2007
Go to Top of Page

Cilla
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  12:24:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
All of the companies that do new home shops have a problem with running out of shoppers in some areas because of rotation requirements. So, I target those MSCs when I travel and ask for a nice gas bonus. The schedulers are usually so delighted to be able to save their local resources for "next month" that they jump on my offer. I have not yet tried this when traveling by air, but I have also put together a 500 mile roadtrip for one company with just barely enough travel $$$ from them to cover gas and a cheap (but okay) hotel and some meals. It was to a place that I wanted to go for my own purposes, so it was well worth my while, and the fees were gravy. Once I had nailed down the new homes fees, I honed in on some MSCs with bank shops and picked up a bunch of those along my route and then threw in a coffee shop or two.

Enjoy, Cilla

Cilla
MSPA Gold Certified 2005
IMSC Certified 2009
Go to Top of Page

CaraR.
Valued Contributor

VA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  11:41:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just returned home from visiting my parents in TN. While I was there, I checked self-assign sites for jobs in nearby towns. I found quite a few but didn't do any because I don't have a laptop and didn't want to tie up my parents' computer and phone line. The pay wouldn't have offset the hassle, iykwim. Mom and I were hoping for a good dining shop, but I didn't find one. Oh well!

My Mom was *so* surprised when I told her there was a shop available right in the itty bitty town that they live in. Who knew?! I could've walked there. I couldn't do it because it was a gas station audit and I didn't have my digital camera. Besides, it's a SMALL town. The owners would have known I was coming before I ever even got there. LOL! And heaven forbid if I'd had anything negative to report. Tongues woulda been waggin' then! I could never visit my folks again. *snort*
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums