Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Independent Contractor Taxes
 Company says it doesn't issue 1099's and it's my job to report the correct amount.
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roger42
Star Contributor

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  7:53:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been fighting with a company who won't issue me a 1099. They paid for the shops and reimbursements and that totaled close to $1,000.

I need to know the amount reported to see if it included reimbursements. But they won't tell me the amount.

Anyone have suggestions?

Roger
Gold Certified - 15 Years Experience
Specializing In Audits
Covering Mid Atlantic and Northeast

Elizabeth36
Star Contributor

Greenville, NC
USA
566 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  8:03:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Roger,

Report everything you show, including reimbursements, and then just show the expenses as the offset... Don't worry about what they show since they won't tell you... It will be up to the IRS to hunt them down for not reporting their taxes as required.

Sounds to me like if your straight pay with no reimbursements comes in under 600.00 then that must be what they are counting... If they show under 600.00 then they don't have to report it on a 1099.

Elizabeth
Shopping Greenville NC and surrounding areas!
I WANT MORE MERCHANDISING WORK! Call me, ok?
Go to Top of Page

AdAora
Star Contributor

Deep in the heart of, TX
USA
3770 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  03:35:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They are only required to send you a 1099 if your fees total at least $600. Reimbursements don't count. You should have kept detailed records, separating the two.

Gold certified in TX
Go to Top of Page

Roger42
Star Contributor

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  05:08:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My fees come in at over $600. So I should get a 1099 in either case.

I've had other companies include reimbursements in the 1099 total and then I've subtracted that amount as a business expense.

But I can't get a straight answer from them if they included the reimbursements as income.

Roger
Gold Certified - 15 Years Experience
Specializing In Audits
Covering Mid Atlantic and Northeast
Go to Top of Page

KimBie
Star Contributor

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  6:59:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
All companies are required by law to issue 1099's to IC who earn over $600. If they do not provide it, contact the IRS.

Kim
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Mili
Apprentice

Homestead, Florida
USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  6:47:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Help me please! this is my first time that I will do taxes, and I am a shopper in many different companies but the amount does not pass the $600.00 separately, but grouped, they passed that amount, so, What can I do with taxes if they will not send me the 1099?
Please help me I don't know what to do!!!
Thanks

Milagro
MSPA Silver Certified Shopper
Homestead, Miami Dade, Florida
Go to Top of Page

Mary Elizabeth
Valued Contributor

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  11:45:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mili

I am a shopper in many different companies but the amount does not pass the $600.00 separately, but grouped, they passed that amount, so, What can I do with taxes if they will not send me the 1099?
You need to use your records to come up with the gross amount that you were paid during the year. The companies do not have to send out 1099's unless they paid you more than $599.99. If you made $700 last year and it came from 10 companies, you declare the $700. You will not have any 1099's.

Mary Elizabeth
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

SGibbs58
Contributor

Madison, AL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  11:14:02 PM  Send SGibbs58 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
What do you do about a company that doesnt send a 1099 and you made more than $1000 from them?

SherryG
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  05:41:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You report what you earn. If a company doesn't send the IRS a 1099 (what you receive is just your copy), then they are in trouble, not you. That is as long as you report the correct amount. Don't skip or reduce it just because you didn't get a 1099.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  7:25:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
By law, the msc have to send 1099s to anyone who made over $600, or they will be hit with a penalty, if IRS finds out.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

KarenS
Valued Contributor

Arizona
USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  12:16:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If a foreign company is not under US jurisdiction, it is not required to issue 1099s or any other reporting forms to the IRS. So if you are an independent contractor for a Canadian mystery shopping company and it doesn't have an office or presence in the US then it doesn't have to send you a 1099.

Of course, as others have stated, you must still report your income to the IRS.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums