Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  6:37:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I recently purchased a pound of raw red skin peanuts. Is there an easy way to shed them of their skins? I think I might just go nuts
trying to pick off each and every skin with my fingers!!! TIA for
any advice that the people of Volition have to offer!!!

Janette Johnson

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
2864 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  2:38:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to admit ignorance on this one. I have never tried to remove the skins. They go right into whatever I am doing with the peanuts, and I've never considered taking them off. Good luck!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6340 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  3:11:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Once they are shelled, freeze them overnight and the skins should slip off easily. You can also heat up the oven, to about 350, pop them in for a few minutes, cool so that you can handle them, and the skins should slide off. Blanching in boiling water may also work.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50242 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  3:12:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Can you buy them with no skin?
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  3:16:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just this very day checked a book out of the library called How to Break an Egg: 1,453 Kitchen Tips, Food Fixes, Emergency Substitutions and Handy Techniques, by Fine Cooking magazine. Actually, it's tips by the readers as well as by the editors. Presumably they tested them before publishing the book.

I figured a book with all those tips might have the answer to your question. Well, there's nothing for the peanuts, but it says this about other nuts (I like the towel method, and if you can rub the skins off with a towel, you might not need to heat them, etc.):

"Easy-to-skin nuts
Hazelnuts made me nuts until I learned how to get their skins off easily. Blanch the hazelnuts in boiling water with 1 teaspoon of baking soda for 30 to 45 seconds. Drain the nuts and dump them on a dishtowel. Rub the nuts with the towel, and the skins will fall right off. Dry them completely with the towel, then roast them in a 400F oven for about 8 minutes to bring out the best flavor."

"A better way to skin almonds
Here's a simple way to get those stubborn skins off almonds. After covering the almonds with boiling water and draining them, plunge them into an ice bath to cool and then drain again. The ice water further loosens the skins and stops the nuts from softening. After you skin the almonds, spread them on a baking sheet and warm them in a 350F oven for 5 or 10 minutes to improve their texture."

and

"Microwave chestnuts for easier peeling
Some people peel chestnuts by roasting them a few at a time. I use the same strategy, but I do the "roasting" in the microwave. Cut an "X" on the curved side of the chestnut and microwave on high, six at a time, for 40 seconds."

Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6340 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  3:38:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Quinn, you can buy skinned peanuts, but they are either in cans or jars. It's a flavor thing...

If a method works on hazelnut skins, it sure oughtta work miracles on peanuts. I'll pass on the chestnuts though; they taste like smelly armpit, to me.
Go to Top of Page

NatalieH
Contributor

USA
8291 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  06:03:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm with Jnanne. I have never attempted to remove the skins. They are edible, you know.
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  11:56:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The skins usually come right off when I pop them in my mouth. I LOVE raw peanuts!

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums