Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 How do you show your tip on an "itemized receipt" for a restaurant shop?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LisaB

Chattanooga, TN
USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  06:41:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

This is my first post, and I'm going on my first shop, so please bear with me :)

I understand that for reimbursement I must submit an itemized receipt from the restaurant, NOT the credit card receipt. I understand the itemized receipt to be the one the server brings as usual at the end of the meal. My question is, how do you show how much you tipped for reimbursement purposes? Do you request another itemized receipt showing this, or include a copy of the credit card receipt as well, which would show the tip paid? If you must request another itemized receipt including how much you tip (I don't even know if this can be done!), how do you do it without advertising that you're a mystery shopper?

Thanks in advance, and sorry to have such a stupid question right off the bat!

Lisa

CarolynRosell
Star Contributor

Vineland, NJ
USA
1417 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  06:59:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa and welcome!
Yes, the itemized receipt is the one that you get at the end of your meal that shows the items purchased.
No, you can not ask for a receipt that includes your tip.
I am not sure what your fee is for the shop, but in most cases they pay up to a certain amount. This may or may not cover your tip.
There may also be a space when you enter the report to show the amount of the tip.

I shop Vineland, Deptford, Mays Landing and Atlantic City, NJ
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Barbara N.CA
Star Contributor

San Francisco, CA
USA
2397 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  07:06:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I usually handwrite the tips amount on the itemized receipt, in addition to filling in that amount if there is a spot for it on the form.

Barbara
MSPA Gold Shopper since June, 2003.
MSPA 2005 "Go To" Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Kenty
Valued Contributor

Tampa Bay Area, FL
USA
118 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  07:11:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lisa:

For these purposes, unless the shop form expressly asks (and sometimes even when it does), I submit both receipts. I always take care to also black out my credit card number, if needed.

Some companies do not reimburse tip, some will if you're under the budget before tip and will cover tip up to the budget amount. Some companies have very strict guidelines of what you MUST tip. Be sure to review your instructions . And, good luck and have a good time.

Kerstin
MSPA Gold Certified, Shopping the Greater Tampa Bay Area
MSSIC: mascara
Go to Top of Page

LisaB

Chattanooga, TN
USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  07:31:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What an incredibly quick, helpful group!

Kenty, there's no specification as to what I must tip, and the instructions only show the total amount they reimburse.

Carolyn and Barbara, I haven't found a place on my forms to specify amount paid in tip, but maybe the online form will be slightly different.

I'll cover all the bases by faxing both receipts (with acct number blacked out, thanks Kenty :) ), writing the tip amount on the itemized receipt, and writing it on the form.

I'm incredibly nervous about this, sure I'm going to forget something important!

Anyway, thanks for the replies and the welcome :) I look forward to being experienced enough to help others out in the future!

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

DarleneFL
Star Contributor

Tampa Bay Area, FL
USA
343 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  07:33:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Don't worry about having a receipt for the tip. If you pay by credit card, you will have a copy of the credit card receipt in case it is ever questioned. Just be sure to get the itemized receipt either way and/or no matter what! For many companies, the tip amount is asked for on the report form. For most companies, that is the only place that I record the amount of my tip. For companies that require an invoice/receipt page, be sure to write the amount of your tip on it. I have done MANY restaurant shops, and I have never been asked to produce proof of my tip. Just be sure that you understand the reimbursement quidelines before your visit, so that you know what to order, whether or not you are going over budget, and also if there are any tipping restrictions.
Go to Top of Page

Kenty
Valued Contributor

Tampa Bay Area, FL
USA
118 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  09:16:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Darlene makes a great point! I have done a shop where the meal was "comped" and then you tip the server. The instructions of the most recent one required you to get a manager's signature on your receipt to verify you left the tip you said! I can only speculate what would inspire that rule.

I always pay by credit card, it's easy and there's a record. For those that do not have one, I have noticed that my AmEx Blue card now shows my dining purchases divided into "meal" and "tip" right on the statement.

One other tip: grab the itemized receipt and don't send it back with the payment. It is not always returned to you!

Kerstin
MSPA Gold Certified, Shopping the Greater Tampa Bay Area
MSSIC: mascara
Go to Top of Page

Cath
Star Contributor

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2003 :  8:20:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kenty gave you some excellent advice-keep the original receipt, don't hand it in with your payment to the server. They will usually print another one anyway. By holding onto it, you are sure to have it. Many times they don't bring it back and then you have to ask for it back perhaps saying that you need it for your budget records or whatever excuse you think you need or don't need.
Depending on the company you are reporting for, some ask for the tip amount and the total amount on the forms. Others ask you to fax in a copy of the receipts. For those that I have to fax in, I copy the receipt and then write the tip amount underneath it. I then total it so that the company knows what I paid. As others said, black out the credit card number. Many firms will instruct you to do this also.
Be sure to read the instructions regarding the tip. Some firms will only reimburse you up to a certain tip amount. Other shoppers have pointed this out too.
Enjoy!

MSPA "Go To Shopper" 2006
MSPA Gold Certified, July 2003.
MSPA Gold Certified Shoppers Panel, Washington, DC, November 7, 2003.
Specializing in hotels, resorts and restaurants since 2002.
Go to Top of Page

Cchrissyy
Valued Contributor

CA
USA
170 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2003 :  11:50:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I assume you are faxing or mailing the receipt attatched to a piece of paper, perhaps an invoice or assignment sheet.

so, staple the recipt to it, and right next to the receipt, I write "billed" "tip" "total" or something like that, so they know what I tipped and how much to reimburse.

Chrissy
Northern CA full-time shopper
Proudly MSPA gold certified!
Go to Top of Page

Cchrissyy
Valued Contributor

CA
USA
170 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  8:48:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just write it on the receipt or the paper you're taping the recipt on to.

For example, if I'm faxing the receipt attatched to some sort of assignment or confirmation paper, I'll just write in "$5 tip, $45 total speant" next to the recipt.

This depends on the company of course, but you get the idea

Chrissy
Northern CA full-time shopper
Proudly MSPA gold certified!
Go to Top of Page

LindJorg
Star Contributor

Tacoma, WA
USA
921 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  4:41:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I always scan, fax, mail or however they want it sent---- BOTH receipts. Most restaurant shops require a certain percentage tip regardless of service. They need the itemized to make sure you stayed within the ordering requirements, i.e. one entree, one appetizer, etc....

Linda
Go to Top of Page

CathyInMD
Star Contributor

MD
USA
441 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  2:45:19 PM  Visit CathyInMD's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
When the bill comes, I take the itemized receipt and provide my payment. Afterwards, I just write the tip on the itemized receipt.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping In Maryland
xiffkw
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums