Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kathy Foley

Fayetteville, NC
USA
44 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  11:49:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have signed up to do several of those Hallmark resets as part of a team for the 8 hour project. I thought it didn't sound too bad. Then I told my friend in retail that I was doing them and she was very discouraging, telling me that they were a royal pain in every way and not worth it. Would those with experience share with me their yeas and nays on this project? Thank you.

.Carla Thompson
Inactive

Wichita, KS
USA
136 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  01:01:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Kathy! I am scheduled for one of these on Thursday. I met one of the other ladies who has done them before. She said they are very easy. What happened is that WalMart contracted with Hallmark to sell their cards at a discounted price. So we go in and take out the old cards and put in the exact same cards, except they have a Walmart logo added to the back, and cost less. She said they come prepackaged in plastic bundles. After removing the old cards we will place the prepackaged ones. Then we go back through and unwrap them. We will also dust everything off. She has done several of these and she said that 4:00 pm was the longest it has ever taken, usually it only takes 4 hours.

Hope this helps to ease your mind! Good luck!

Carla Thompson
Go to Top of Page

WendyG
Star Contributor

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  03:06:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for telling me what to expect. I have one coming up on Oct 15th.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Janet
Contributor

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  03:44:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't know why your friend would mislead you. They are one of the easiest resets I have ever done.

I have done them, and am scheduled for more. I thought they were a breeze. Just on your feet all day.

You just pull all the product, clean the shelves, and replace the product, and add graphics etc. Everything is clearly labeled.
Go to Top of Page

Shel
Star Contributor

MI
USA
474 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  04:39:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi, These can be a pain when you are actually a customer service rep in a Hallmark store because you have to stop and help customers every two minutes. You then have to figure out where you left off. I believe this is what angle your friend in retail is discussing.
You will be fine, since you are an outside merchandiser. I really enjoy these kinds of jobs.
Go to Top of Page

KittyKat

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  05:35:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am scheduled to do one of these this week. What do you wear when yo do these resets? Business Casual? My scheduler is very nice, but she is so swamped, I don't want to bother asking her.
Go to Top of Page

Kathy Foley

Fayetteville, NC
USA
44 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  9:03:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi KittyKat-

There is a thread on the MSPA shoppers' bulletin board discussing what best to wear for resets. Most say to go with khakis, a polo shirt and very comfortable shoes. I have neither khakis nor polo shirts, so I will just get as close as I can.

MSPA Silver Certification # divlsk
Shopping NC around Fayetteville, Sanford, Laurinburg and Lumberton until the army sees fit to move us somewhere else.
Go to Top of Page

Sandy1920J

Johnston, RI
USA
49 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2003 :  05:02:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kittykat, wear something casual, something you won't mind getting dusty and dirty, there will be plenty of dust.
Go to Top of Page

Gennia
Contributor

Alabama
USA
51 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2003 :  5:51:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kathy, I just did my first Hallmark resets. I was exhausted at the end of the day since I wore uncomfortable shoes and more of a casual business attire. Like the others have said wear comfortable shoes and be casual. You will get dusty. I enjoyed the resets and look forward to the next ones. I met a nice team of folks who worked very well together.

Happily shopping N Alabama and S Tennessee
Go to Top of Page

FaithInGa
Contributor

Rossville, GA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  04:13:18 AM  Send FaithInGa an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I hate to be the one thorn in the group....LOL But I did one and it was HORRIBLE. I've been merchandising for 3 years or so and I myself didn't really think it would be hard, but the team that got hired to help me left 2 hours earlier than I did, took breaks every hour and ate while doing the job!!!! I don't think it would have been that bad if I'd had more experienced help, but sadly there just aren't an overage of merchandisers in this area. If you have experienced people for your set team, you should be fine. It is a simple, pull the old cards out-put the new cards up. And then some fixture changes...etc. Another one of the problems that arrived bright and early when I arrived is that the Hallmark rep/team had the wrong date to reset this store....so we only had a Hallmark person for 1/2 the day. But she was also great....I don't think I've seen a hateful Hallmark rep since I've been doing this kind of work :) My set took, 12 hours, and that isn't even the largest store that I had to do. I can't imagine it only taking 4....but then as I said, maybe with an experienced team?

Merchandising in Northwest Georgia and Tennessee.
Go to Top of Page

MichelePA

Schuylkill County, PA
USA
39 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  06:18:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did one of these on Thursday. I agree with everyone who said wear comfortable clothes and shoes. I wore business casual, but I will be dressing more comfortably for the next one. We had 7 hard working people on our team and it took us 10 hours. We didn't really take any breaks except for the 1/2 hour lunch. One person never showed up, so it should not have taken as long as it did. It wasn't difficult at all, just time consuming, especially cleaning the fixtures. They were filthy! They estimate it shoud take 5-10 mins. to clean each section. It took double that time.
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaK
Valued Contributor

NJ
USA
119 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  12:38:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kathy, I wouln't listen to other people. I have worked for Hallmark for 6 years and have been on lots of revisions. You do want to dress comfortable. You will be on your feet the whole time but this is true for most revisions.
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaK
Valued Contributor

NJ
USA
119 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  12:42:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you are leading this team, I would suggest you lay the ground rules on breaks. Maybe you can find out who your team is before hand and call and make sure they do not have time restrictions on when they have to leave.
Go to Top of Page

Kamy777
Contributor

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  02:18:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did one of these resets last week and it went pretty good, considering the team leader had never done this type work before and noone really knew what to do. It took over an hour after we arrived at 8 am to "find" the pallet with the merchandise, and figure out where to begin. We were not offered any breaks, except 30 minutes for lunch and I didn't take my lunch break until 1:30 pm. This reset was very unorganized, but because of everyone's hard work, we completed it by 5:00. I left at 5:10 pm and will get paid for 9 1/2 hours, so said the team leader. There was alot of dust, luckily I didn't wear my contact lenses! We had a great team of ladies to do this project, and everyone worked together and noone goofed off (we didn't even get morning/afternoon breaks to sit down for even 5 minutes -- there was too much work to be done and we were "behind" all day!). I have another one to do next week with another Team Leader, but with almost the same team members, so maybe it will go smoother next time. I liked doing it, it was very easy after I started putting the cards on the rack in the plastic, and then going back and removing the plastic after I had all the cards set to the POG and spaced properly on the rack. I wore comfortable shoes, but my feet and back still hurt that night after I got home!
Go to Top of Page

ReneeWabs

Marietta, Georgia
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  06:58:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did two of these resets this week. I agree that the speed and organization of the set depends on the team members as well as the lead. The first one I did the lead was experienced but not assertive. It went well even though a couple were some what unprofessional. The second also went well but was off to a rough start because the lead was inexperienced. There was another experienced lead present which helped her to get on the right foot.

For anyone having a rough reset it is probably because some one didn't show or were not cooperative. This is easy work and does not require a degree is rock science.

Good luck

Renee
Go to Top of Page

RebekahTN
Valued Contributor

McMinnville, TN
USA
125 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  09:26:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was the team leader for one of these resets last week. I was there 10.5 hours. The 2 Hallmark reps 9 each. 4 "experianced" ladies were there 8.5 hours and 2 guys from a temp agency 7 hours. Can you tell I had fun???
I get there my hour early do the meeting with management go to pull my 2 white boxes to find my letters to start marking the restet. They are NOT in there. FINALLY find them in one of the boxes. An hour later only the Hallmark reps are there. THEY were GREAT !!!
I call PR so they can try to find my people. The 4 ladies came together they were "running late". I had been told it will go great since these 4 ladies had already done 4 resets. Well.... I had rather have had someone with NO CLUE as to have had these ladies. When they walked in we had just located the stickers to letter the sections. I asked them to start taking down the perimiter banding while I got them lettered. They said we aren't here to do the fixtures. JUST the cards. They said they had already done 4 stores and NEVER had to do fixtures that the team leader ALWAYS did it. They flat out said they would NOT do it. The Hallmark reps said no problem we will. I was like okay, let me get these letters up and you can start the cards. They said where are the boxes? You are supposed to bring us our boxes and take them when we fill them up and bring the new cards to us. They wanted me to wait on them hand and foot. I don't know HOW they expected me to do all the fixtures AND wait on them.
Neither me nor the Hallmark reps could believe how they were acting. One of the Hallmark reps got on the phone to her supervisor and had her come early. She had planned to come by at the end of the day. She asked me after being there about 2 hours if they had acted like that since they got there I reluctantly said yes and she said she would have been on the phone immediately and would have had replacements there. One lady appoligized for the others and herself about an hour after they got there, but they continued acting like kids. They went on smoke breaks every couple hours for 10-15 minutes at a time and when they had been there almost 8 hours they said they were leaving with the job finished or not. I did call my rep and let her talk to them. The one on the phone DENIED saying it. One of the others was saying we DID say that while she was on the phone (not sure if the rep heard that or not). When the one got off the phone the other asked why did you tell her we didn't say we were leaving. She said because "I" didn't SAY it I just agreed with ya'll and since we are riding together when 1 leaves all 4 do. I wanted to strangle her but didn't say anything.
One person didn't show up at all and the 2 guys from the temp service were 2 hours late. When they came in they started on fixtures and were GREAT at it. They did everything I asked, when I asked, only questioning if they didn't understand something. When they finished the fixtures and worked on cards it went slow for them but they never complained once. These other ladies kept telling them they weren't doing the fixtures right. They insisted that the perimiter banding went LAST, you can't do that first because thats not how the other stores did it. I wanted to tell THEM to do if they knew so much but didn't. Finally the Hallmark Leader told them it didn't have to be in any order when they got to it they could put it up. I had already told them but they wouldn't listen because this was my first and they had already done 4 and KNEW how it was supposed to go. Except that they refused to do anything they didn't want to do. I had rather have had people that had no clue but willing to do whatever needed to be done.
I truelly believe that these ladies must be like my oldest brother and are not happy unless they are complaining. When I worked with him I learned pretty quickly to ignore his complaining. That it is just the way he is. He isn't happy unless he is complaining. At first with these ladies I took it personally, not getting mad and saying anything but went along and didn't insist they do fixtures. I truelly thought they were UPSET that I wasn't doing it "thier way". Every thing was going smoothly as soon as I got those letters found and put up but they complained the WHOLE time. By lunch I figured it was just their nature and it didn't bother me anymore. I just listened to them as we all worked in amazement. I hadn't planned on saying anything to my rep but the lady from Hallmark said she would want to know if her reps were acting like that and I should. So, IF my rep ever calls me back I will have to go over it all with her. I'm just glad that the Hallmark rep was there to back me up. These other ladies have worked with the company longer than me and it would be 4 to one. Who would my rep believe?? <sigh>
Life goes on. These are easy and pretty mindless. I actually enjoyed doing it but for only $1.00 extra per hour no way would I listen to that fussing again and be a team leader. I would gladly be the one working though.
I would NEVER EVER dream of acting like they did. They acted like kids... actually WORSE than kids.

Shopping and Merchandising in McMinnville, Manchester, Smithville, Tullahoma, Woodbury, Sparta, Cookeville and Murfreesboro Since April 2003.
MSPA Silver Certified # xxfuj7
Go to Top of Page

Janet
Contributor

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  4:23:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Rebekah,

I agree with most of what you say and that stinks that you had to deal with that.

BUT,,,, so what about their smoke breaks??? You as the teamleader, did you offer them breaks? If it's bathroom breaks, smoke breaks, caffeine breaks what difference does it make. If you can work without breaks that's great, but I think we all deserve a bit of fresh air (or smokey air) and to chill out for a moment every couple of hours or the job just gets too monotonous.

I don't know who your DM or supervisor is but I have no problem with correspondence from mine. She usually answers the phone right away or replies to my emails asap.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy_WV
Apprentice

Pool, WV
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  5:02:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
I am new, and have been reading the forums for quite some time. I absolutely can't wait to read the posts or replies. You people help each other out so much, if only everyone were that way. Now to why I am writing. I worked for Hallmark for about 4 years. I was a Retail Merchandiser, then Team Leader and finally Territory Assistant. Naturally when I seen the posts about the Hallmark resets, I was curious. I had to laugh when I read the one from Rebekah in TN, (excuse the spelling). Hallmark is a very good company to work for, but I can't remember not one reset going according to plans. The resets went much better when Hallmark had their own installation teams, mainly because it is just repetitive. After doing them so long, you get to be good at it. On occasion I had to work with some that must have been the identical twins to the ladies mentioned in the last post. When Hallmark decided to do a reset, all the card departments received them. If the installation team was busy elsewhere, we had to get temps to help or anyone we could drag in that would work. Believe me, I have seen it all and then some. I had one temp come in ready to work a reset dressed like a cowboy. Even down to the hat. We could hear her coming a mile away because her boots clicked when she walked. I also had a temp come into a reset crying because she had just had a fight with her boyfriend. Finally got her calmed down and the boyfriend comes in and starts showing himself. I finally had to ask them both to leave. These are just a couple of times that are fresh in my memory. At one time I was responsible for 9 card departments in WV, OH and KY. I learned after awhile to go in as soon as everything arrived in the stores, that way I could go through and make sure everything arrived. I can't remember the times that either the store threw fixtures and product out, or it arrived with half of the shipment missing. You learn to improvise with what you have or can buy at the store you are in to complete the job. It can give you a big headache, but I guess all work does that at some point. Anyway, just wanted to share with all of you since you have shared with me and especially today, because it made me chuckle and brought back memories.
Go to Top of Page

.Neecy
Inactive

Lyons, GA
USA
93 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  5:04:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I too did my first re-set last week for Hallmark.Only one of my team members showed up and she didnt get there until 11 am.It took us nearly 11 hours because there was only myself,one team member and two Hallmark reps.They were truly a help to me as this was my first ever reset.I have another coming up the 14th and hopefully will have a full team to help
Go to Top of Page

RebekahTN
Valued Contributor

McMinnville, TN
USA
125 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  7:33:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Actually I had no problem with them taking breaks. Didn't bother me at all. I didn't take them because... ummm... what would I do?? Sit there and twiddle my thumbs? I don't smoke. My husband does so I DO understand.... That did not bother me in the least. It was them acting like little kids that aggravated me. It seemed that they were trying to say.. We've done this before and we know what we are doing. We also know that we can get away with as much or as little as we want because you, meaning ME, NEED us here to get this done.
The constant complaining was a bit aggravating. It was like they knew it all and how it should be done but were only willing to do what they wanted to do and then complained about having to do that. They complained that they were having to put all the cards in but it wasn't like everyone else was standing around watching them, we were doing the things they DIDN'T want to do. Like I said, at first I took it personally thinking they thought I wasn't doing a good job. But as the day went on and everything was going smoothly and they still complained non stop I finally decided it must just be the way they were and I overlooked it. I have worked with people who aren't happy unless they are complaining... and that is what this seemed like.
I would gladly do cards again and enjoyed the work and the rest of the people I worked with and I bet that working with any of these ladies individually or only a couple of them at a time it would have been diffrent. It would have been nice if they had jumped in and done "whatever needed to be done" like the others without comparing it to the other stores they did. I mean they said themself EVERY store was diffrent. And ours was the biggest one they had done so far I thought it went pretty smoothly AFTER I found those dang letters and got them up that is.

Rebekah Blake

Shopping and Merchandising in McMinnville, Manchester, Smithville, Tullahoma, Woodbury, Sparta, Cookeville and Murfreesboro Since April 2003.
MSPA Silver Certified # xxfuj7
Go to Top of Page

WendyG
Star Contributor

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  01:54:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have one of these resets slated for October 15th. You guys are starting to scare me. They scheduled me almost 2 months in advance for this, can I ask the Team Leaders or Reps, do they call and remind people that they have made a commitment for this date?

Just wondering why so many people are not showing up?

I know I will.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums