Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Support Area
 News/Questions about Volition.com & These Forums
 What does it mean when the topic is locked?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  06:33:48 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
What does it mean when the topic is locked on the board. Why does this happen?

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"

.PatrickMcGee
Inactive

Sheffield, AL
46 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  07:17:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure, but I saw Ray lock up one once because there was an existing thread...I guess to keep from cluttering up two different threads at once He left a note on that one with the link to the other topic.

Patrick
Go to Top of Page

Barbara N.CA
Star Contributor

San Francisco, CA
USA
2397 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  07:43:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, I can only guess. (I won't say what my guess is because it is just a hunch on my part, without any evidence to support it.) I've only seen one thread locked and I also noticed that many posts have disappeared from the thread. This did not happen all at once. I noticed last night that two important posts were missing. Then, this morning, I saw all the posts that responded to the first of those posts have disappeared and the thread is locked.

On one hand, I'm not happy that I didn't get a notification when one of my posts was among those that have disappeared. On the other hand, if my guess is correct, perhaps someone is being given a second chance. I like that.

Barbara
MSPA Gold Shopper since June, 2003.
MSPA 2005 "Go To" Shopper
Go to Top of Page

SharonMc1961
Valued Contributor

Athens, TN
USA
150 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  07:43:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Could this be what happened yesterday with some questions that were there then gone, Ray? I noticed too that sometimes I can't find a search button on the screen even after refreshing the screen.

Sharon
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  07:46:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The search questions were moved to "Questions and News about this Forum" section at the bottom of the "All Forums" Page.
When tempers start to run hot - I have seen Topics locked. No Topics are locked now.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  10:17:42 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think the main reasons were covered above.

Sometimes when someone starts a new thread on an old topic, I will lock the new thread so as to remind people not to start new threads. (If we did not enforce this rule there would be 50 different threads with the title "Is MSPA Gold worth the $" alone.)

Sometime, like last night, when people start getting crazy I lock a thread and remove all the derogatory remarks. Last night people said things, then when they were quoted, they denied saying them and started editing their posts to show that they never said them. Then it got into name calling. One of the moderators locked the thread.

When the thread gets unlocked, the tempers have calmed down & the incendiary remarks are gone. People can get back to discussing the actual topic.
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  11:21:15 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, but doesn't this leave a lot of people in the dark about some of the facts that were posted last night?

PamInCa
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  1:51:18 PM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PamInCa

doesn't this leave a lot of people in the dark about some of the facts that were posted?
There is no truth to be had in reading people calling each other names. Once tempers are calm, they can come back and post in a rational manner. What we had last night and on the one other occasion I had to do this was interesting drama but very little truth.
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  5:44:19 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Boy, it's been a long time since I posted these things. As you can see, we all were new at some time. I am bringing it back to the top due to some recent posts.

The majority of shoppers here are more than glad to answer questions and help new and old shoppers alike. When you see a post locked, it is so no one else will post. For the simple reason of saving space, it is best for an owner of any forum to try and keep an eye out for such things. When a similar topic is posted, it can easily go into a thread that is similar in nature.

So, don't get discouraged and don't hesitate to ask for help. But, do try and read and search all of the information here on your own. You will be surprised how many of the questions you have that have already been asked and answered. The same answers will still apply today as they did 5 or 10 years ago.

PamInCa
Go to Top of Page

Dawn5515
Contributor

Zachary, Louisiana
USA
79 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  2:31:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How do you get a topic unlocked especially if it is feedback on a company??? I posted a new topic yesterday asking about AIM (because my search only turned up a closed topic) and today it's gone and the closed topic is in it's place. Help please!

Dawn
MSPA Silver Certified
Merchandising
Store Audits & Recalls
Mystery Shopping
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2014 :  11:20:57 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dawn5515

How do you get a topic unlocked especially if it is feedback on a company??? I posted a new topic yesterday asking about AIM (because my search only turned up a closed topic) and today it's gone and the closed topic is in it's place. Help please!

Read the last post in the closed topic.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums