Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kim Castillo

IN
USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  1:54:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Could someone tell me what a PDQ is? I know it is in reference to a display.

TIA
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

Ocala, FL
USA
876 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  7:03:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A PDQ is a pre-made display unit. Usually, these are designed for 4-ways or endcaps.
Basically all you have to do is remove the outer box and stick it on the shelf and maybe put the sign topper on.
Judging from experience, these are most commonly found in Health and Beauty Aids.

Sharon

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page

Val2121
Contributor

Denver, CO
USA
93 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  5:53:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi! I have learned that a schematic is a planogram.
Also, that NOP means Not On Planogram.

Go to Top of Page

AprilL

Waterford, MI
USA
29 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  5:27:50 PM  Visit AprilL's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
In the department stores I service Planograms are called POGs. One store calls them MPD's (merchandise planning directives). So many terms for the same thing.

Here are a few more:

TOC - top of counter display unit

clip strip or J hook - a long strip with upside down U shapes cut into the (usually) plastic. You can hang items in a row down the strip. The strip/hook hangs from a shelf or at the corner of an endcap. In home improvment stores these are usually metal with a row of vertical clips.

pad - a designated display area

rambler - a 6' tall wheeled cart used to transport large amounts of merchandise on and off selling floor

duratrans - product signage made of flexible plastic which allows light to come through from behind the sign.

collateral - product signage (such as duratrans) added to enhance brand recognition. Can be in the primary product display or in a secondary location. In addition to duratrans I've also seen foam core collateral. Foam core is a thin sheet of styrofoam sandwiched between poster board.

There are so many more, but I think this post is long enough.

April Labadie
Retail Merchandise Manager
Mallory&Church, LLC
Go to Top of Page

KimG
Star Contributor

Orlando, FL
USA
617 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  12:24:54 PM  Send KimG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wal-Mart sounds like Disney in their terminology-visitors are guests, employees are cast members, you are either onstage (in front of guests) or off stage, you wear a costume, not a uniform, etc.

I guess the only weird thing I've found is Target's Leaders instead of managers, which someone already mentioned.

Kim
silver certified njtwnf
Go to Top of Page

LeahE
Apprentice

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  6:44:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I''m doing my first merchandising assignment and am having a problem
with a couple of the terms. I couldn''t find an answer anywhere else. I
am supposed to locate a pre-existing islander display set up on a
4-sided gondola with two end caps. I''m pretty sure a gondola is the whole
shelving unit that is attached to the end caps. Is this right? Also, I
have four papers for my planograms and they are labeled Islander Side 1
and islander side 2. Does this mean I am doing both sides?
Go to Top of Page

JennyT.OH
Valued Contributor

OH
USA
119 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  10:22:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
An islander is a type gondola that has two sides of shelving, one on each side, and shelving for an endcap on each end , making four sides of shelving. They call it an islander because it is on wheels and can be moved wherever.

Yes, when the directios in this project (I am doing it too)reference "side one" and "side two" it means you will have to check the POG on both sides as well as the endcaps.

Always looking for great companies to work for in the SW OH, SE IN and Northern KY areas!
Go to Top of Page

JennyT.OH
Valued Contributor

OH
USA
119 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  10:26:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Fluff and Duff: an easy job consisting of basically cleaning and straightening/or facing a product area.

Always looking for great companies to work for in the SW OH, SE IN and Northern KY areas!
Go to Top of Page

Laura_In_Az
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
286 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  12:01:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Instant Redeemable Coupon (IRC). It's the coupon you find on the outside of a package you buy in a store, the peel off kind. You peel it off and 'instantly' redeem it at the check out, when you buy the product. One type of merchandising job is to apply IRC's to packages in a store. I've done this merch job many times, for a variety of different products. Applying IRC's to packages is one of the easiest merch jobs.
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  9:23:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I recently learned that gondola (in DG) means "aisle" shelves as opposed to wall shelves.
Does anyone know what A COD is. It is in reference to a reset at Wal Mart.
T stand at Family Dollar is the display frame inside the door.It usually has that week's sale paper tacked on it.

Light Thief (this one really had me stumped for a while) is the brand display at the very top of the cosmetics section(s) in Wal Mart. Should be lit hence the term Light thief I guess. What I can't understand is whay it is always referred to as shelf #1 in the POG's. It is not a shelf. Hot Spot is the current promotional product display, again in Wal Mart.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

.Colette P
Inactive

Virginia
USA
124 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  1:18:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I feel silly asking this, but I'm filling out a report form that asks if I checked in and packed out. How about "DSD" report? I would ask the supervisor, but I've been doing these reports for awhile and should have asked the first time I saw the questions....

Thanks for any help

Colette P
Go to Top of Page

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  3:02:40 PM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
The only odd one I've heard of is a talking stick. They have these at Stewarts. Basically they are a metal clip strip but they don't hang. They stand vertically up from the counter.

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Merchandising, Demonstrating and Shopping in Rutland County, Vermont and Eastern Washington County, New York!
Go to Top of Page

Judy C
Apprentice

Virginia
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  3:16:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have read the page of merchandising terms in the NARMS proficiency training manual and found it very beneficial. But there is one term that I keep running across that's not described there.

What does "packing out" mean?
Go to Top of Page

.Colette P
Inactive

Virginia
USA
124 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  5:27:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I asked the same question a couple of months ago and never got an answer. I've come to learn that it means: unpacking an order from the backroom.
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  8:45:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
DSD report usually means the receipt printed out on the terminal in the backroom. For example if you or someone in the back logs in items, it prints out an inventory receipt That is a DSD report.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

CamilleJ

NY
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  7:18:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Packing out refers to product pulled from the back room and placed on the shelf. The question would ask "did you pack out product" thats what it means - at least thats what it means for Walmart...

also the plastic things that hold the rollback signs, I think you meant beam flip not bean flip.

other terms used for merchandising (in Walmart) -

OOS - out of stock
DV - Distribution Void - no product on shelf and no tag either.

Camille J
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  9:34:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
WalMart's Plan-o-grams are called modulars & their see thru signs are called light thiefs. I know PDQs are displays & I know what they look like but does anybody know what PDQ stands for? Just curious, everytime I see it all I can think of is pretty damn quick.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
616 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  04:44:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
PDQ: Acronym for Predetermined Quantity Display, a preloaded cardboard display ready to install. Also called a Sidekick, Shipper, or Pre-Pack.

Pack-Out: The total number of packages of an item on a shelf when fully-stocked, shelf capacity or holding power.

( From my WalMart Manual)
Go to Top of Page

Anne of Green Gables
Trainee

San Francisco, CA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  03:34:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Dsd- Direct shipment delivery (no P.O #)
rtv- return to vendor
r.a- return authorization
p.o.s- point of sale
tpr- temporary price reduction
p.o.g profile- measurements by length/height/spacing between shelves/peg holes
huddle- team meeting
henry hanger/outfitter- special hanger to display total outfit or "look" on a 4-way/t-stand/or gondola
facing- # of spaces a sku has in a planogram (ex- shelf #1 item #1 charmin 12pk= 3 facings (side by side)
Base shelf- bottom shelf then next shelf up is shelf # 1
cut-in- updating p.o.g by adding new product into a set w/o doing a reset
race track - aisle that goes around the whole store
upt- units per transaction

side bar note: Walmart sounds like the wackiest place on earth!

Anne
Go to Top of Page

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  06:16:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
"Packing Out" is whatever you want it to be, but it (circa 1932) comes from an old Boy Scout manual meaning "to pack out trash from the wilderness to the dump."

Spar uses it to mean the act of physically trucking product from the back room to the sales floor. "How many units did you pack out [to the sales floor].

I've never actually seen other companies use this term, but I HAVE learned that it's safe to ask, "Gosh - I've never seen this term before! I interpret it to mean [whatever]. Is that right?"

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Hair & MSPA Cert: Silver (70 - the new 30!)
"Retired" and LOVING it (mostly)!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums