Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
2872 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  9:11:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I used to have a Moosewood cook book with the best borscht recipe I have ever seen. A roommate requested the book when she moved out of state (since she really did use it more than I did), and I don't remember the exact title. I have checked several Moosewood cook books, but have never found that recipe. Anyone happen to have it?

Following are the ingredients I remember. The problem is that I don't remember the seasonings:

beets
canned tomatoes
potatoes
turnips
cabbage
honey
onions

It may be the tomatoes and honey that really gave this recipe the distinctive taste. However, I am in the mood to make some (to go with the pumpernickel bread I want to bake), and would prefer to make it as close to the Moosewood recipe as possible...well, as close as I ever come to sticking to a recipe.

Jnanne
Silver certified

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6340 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  08:44:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is the recipe you have in mind, but it comes from the original Moosewood cookbook...sounds similar, but w/o the turnips. Who cares, though, when it's served with homemade pumpernickel?!

Russian Cabbage Borscht

2 tablespoons butter
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
1-1/2 cups thinly sliced potato
1 cup thinly sliced beets
1 large sliced carrot
1 stalk chopped celery
3 cups chopped cabbage
1 scant teaspoon caraway seeds
(optional: 1 tablespoon raisins)
4 cups stock or water
2 teaspoons salt
Black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dill weed
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon honey
1 cup tomato puree
Place potatoes, beets and water in a saucepan and cook until everything is tender (save the water). Begin cooking the onions in the butter in a large kettle. Add caraway seeds and salt. Cook until onion is translucent, then add celery, carrots and cabbage. Add water from beets and potatoes and cook, covered until all the vegetables are tender. Add potatoes, beets and remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer slowly for at least 30 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
2872 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  3:47:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I believe that is the one--and I probably just tossed in the turnips without directions to do so. I love turnips and have discovered that most people like them in a stew if they don't know about them. They just assume they are eating potatoes.

Thank-you so much.

--Jnanne

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MargeI
Star Contributor

Middletown, MD
USA
900 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  7:21:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Nora beat me to it! I also checked in The Enchanted Broccoli Forest and there is no Borscht in there. The original Moosewood has a chilled Borscht as well.

Have I mentioned I hate beets?
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
2872 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  8:42:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Marge, after trying the Moosewood recipe you might change your mind to "hate them most of the time, but just found one way I like them." I served this at Sunday Supper to college students and since it was the only main dish, even those who were leary of beets tried it. Just about all of them loved it. If you can make believers out of about 25 picky 20-somethings, the recipe is a winner.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MargeI
Star Contributor

Middletown, MD
USA
900 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  06:37:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jnanne. I have to say I'm grateful to you for causing me to pick up that cookbook, because I found what sounds like a very yummy cold soup recipe for peach and cantaloupe soup (will post on a separate thread) that I am going to try with all those overripe peaches I bought recently.

Yum.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums