Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Random Thoughts
 What do you use to clean granite countertops?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RebeccainFL

Spring Hill, FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  5:42:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just had my kitchen upgraded and installed granite countertops. Can anyone tell me what they use to clean granite on a daily basis? They say don't use dishwashing liquid and want to sell us a product made especially for granite but it costs $15 for 24 ounces which I thin is a "little" pricey!!!. Anyone have any suggestions? I was wondering if Fantastic or 401 or that type of product would hurt the shine. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions anyone has. Thanks.

MargeI
Star Contributor

Middletown, MD
USA
900 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  6:41:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They say you can use mild dishwashing soap diluted in water. I would not use spray cleaners unless they are specifically formulated for granite. It is important to clean up acid spills quickly (lemon juice, vinegar, salad dressing). Enjoy it!

http://www.monticellogranite.com/granite-care-maintenance
Go to Top of Page

TomShannon311
Apprentice

Colmar, PA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  10:53:34 AM  Visit TomShannon311's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
The harsh chemicals in most common household cleaners won't damage the majority of "granite" countertops.

The problem is that there are thousands of types of "granites" and dozens, and perhaps hundreds of types of common household cleaners.

Nobody has tested them all together, so no one is going to go out on a limb to recommend one.

Any of the dozen name brands of stone cleaner have been tested, so that's what a pro will recommend. If you ask in confidence if that pro uses windex on their granite, they'll all respond (on the sly) that occasionaly they do. Keep in mind that's it's also the quickest way to destroy your sealer. Since the majority (greater than 50%) of the stones out there require little to no sealer, that's not a big deal.

If your variety of stone requires periodic sealing, then stay away from the Windex, Fantastic, 409 etc, etc, etc

More info here:
http://akropolismarble.com/Articles/

Tom Shannon
Akropolis Marble & Granite, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  9:58:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This is my "turf". I've sold and sell kitchen and bath remodels. Simple non-abrasive cleaners are fine with products such as granite. My company used to recommend 409. Personally, I love microfiber cloths and water.

Also, everyone who has granite should know to reseal it on a regular basis. If you use the commonly supplied sealants, the countertop needs to be resealed around the stove and sink at a minimum annually. If you are an active cook and cook with alot of citrus, then biannually. Granite is a porous rock and bacteria and even water will soak in if not sealed properly. If you don't want to seal as often, there is a "new" generation sealant out. It needs to be professionally installed. It's called Bulletproof sealer by Dupont. This sealant is good for two years or more in less used areas.

Here is the link:
http://www2.dupont.com/Stone_Tech.../bullet_proof_sealer.html

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

TomShannon311
Apprentice

Colmar, PA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  06:50:51 AM  Visit TomShannon311's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't want to take over anybody's turf, but 409 is going to strip off sealer pretty quickly. Once a top is completely sealed, it should take a long time for the sealer to degrade from UV rays.

I'm not going to say anything bad about the Dupont bulletproof sealer, because it's pretty good. When we were selecting sealers, we did find one brand that was approximately 300% better though.

Tom Shannon
Akropolis Marble & Granite, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

AnitaTNShopper
Star Contributor

Nashville, TN
USA
704 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  8:33:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
409 now has a cleaner that is specially made for Granite Countertops. I purchased some in the store recently. I was pleased with it.

MSPA Gold Certified 2006
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums