Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 68

BrandiPhil

Buffalo, NY
USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  11:59:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got a call last week from Spar to do some merchandising here in NY. The DM called me once, then never returned my messages. I think my husband threw out the papers that I wrote the contact info on.

I found the number under my daughter's clothes. I was interested because the store was less than a mile from my house.

What are their assignments like?

Shopping in NY - Buffalo
MSPA Silver Certified

TaraSue
Star Contributor

Fort Wayne, IN
USA
384 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  12:32:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would not rush to them
they have a nasty habit of having you go to the same store several days in the same week when all jobs could have been done at once
very poor scheduling
Go to Top of Page

Freesia26

NY
USA
37 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  4:49:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am in Buffalo too and I would not rush to them. It seems they can't keep merchandisers around. I worked for them for two days and said the heck with this.

Mary
Go to Top of Page

Brian4job

Abilene, TX
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  6:17:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well i have never worked for spar. i Did get an email saying they needed someone in a full time position and to please contact them. after 4 phone calls and leaving messages and 4 emails with no reply i finally got an email saying contact another person i did that. called 2 and emailed twice. the 3rd call i got an answer the guy had looked my stuff over and new about me when i had called. we talked told him what i needed to make he said he didn't see that being a problem and as far as he was concerned i was hired. well no replies to any of my attempts to find out where my paperwork is. after talking to another vendor who did this job she said they were always behind and expected you to be on time. so im kind of glad that i wasn't hired. plus there pay was kind of low to do resets on a weekly basis. we all know resets are much harder than merchandising especially if working alone
Brian B
Go to Top of Page

Kathy Foley

Fayetteville, NC
USA
44 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  10:51:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
THANK GOODNESS for this info, you all. I just received an interest letter from SPAR and was tossing the idea around to see what they had to offer. I can see that I need not bother right now...more frustration is the last thing I can take on at this time. My husband (US Army) is deploying in a few days and I still can't get on top of this G3 money-owed-since-the-summer fiasco.
Thanks for the heads up!

MSPA Silver Certification # divlsk
Shopping NC around Fayetteville, Sanford, Laurinburg and Lumberton until the army sees fit to move us somewhere else.
Go to Top of Page

DeeBee

PA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  11:43:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
SPAR pay seems to be really low maybe that is why they cant keep people. You get what you pay for.

DeeBee
Go to Top of Page

Sue AC
Valued Contributor

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  6:29:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have worked for Spar for 6 years now, and I have never had a problem with scheduling or getting a hold of a person weather it be my DM, supervisor or someone directly at Spar.And when I get a job for a store that has more then one assiagment, the instructions specifally state that all jobs are to be done at the same time at that store,not one one day then go back later in the week to do another job. And the other people that I have worked with on a job our all very experienced at their job, not a bunch of flakes. Maybe it is just some states that have problems. I have worked for other companies where the people claim they are experienced at merchandising, but they can't even read a planogram and are being paid $12.00 an hour.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

DeeBee

PA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  04:34:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would like to know where SPAR is paying 12$ an hour. I have done merchandising for 5+ years and have not worked doing a major reset without mileage which I was told they do not pay. I would do work with more traveling if there was compensation, after all I do this to earn a living not just get out of the house for a few hours.
Go to Top of Page

Sue AC
Valued Contributor

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  1:32:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I didn't say spar paid $12.00 hour. I stated another company that I did work for and I worked with people that couldn't even read a planogram,but were suppose to be experinced at resets.
Spar pays what they call an acess fee, instead of mileage. Several other companies that I've done work for have gotten rid of paying mileage as people were cheating, by taking the longest way to the store they could find, just so they could get paid for mileage. It only takes one bad apple to spoil it for eveyone else.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

CareyTR
Valued Contributor

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  12:19:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agreed to cover one store about twenty five miles away. I trained a week and a half ago, and since then have not been getting any answers to my questions. I have sent five emails trying to find out how to get the paperwork i need, and never heard back. I did, however, get an email asking if I was going to get the work for last week done. I reply "no, because I still can't print any paperwork". Never heard anyhing.

Today I got a message saying that they have been calling the wrong phone number. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt on that one and am trying to not to hold the no contact thing against them. I just don't understand why they couldn't email me or look at the phone number that was on every email I sent. But, like I said, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

My question is: Is all the frustration worth it? Is anyone else still having problems? I am making a considerable amount less with them than I do for other companies. Communication seems to be an issue, and I never know how many hours a week I will need to be in the store. I guess I've kind of answered my own question here, I just hate quitting. Anyway thanks for letting me ramble.
Go to Top of Page

CherylC
Trainee

O'Fallon, MO
USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  5:44:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've worked for them for almost two years. Pay is definitely low, but the work is steady. I've never had a problem with communication. Paychecks always arrive on time.
Go to Top of Page

Pamela S
Contributor

Martinez, California
USA
92 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  03:13:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I also do not like SPAR. They expect so much out of you and want to pay the least they can get away with. Also you are always under the impression that you can easily be replaced if you don't want to do certian projects. The one thing i did like about SPAR, it seems that they always were sending me something weather it be a water bottle, clipboard, pens, DVD , etc. That was nice.

Pamela
Go to Top of Page

.TammyLC
Inactive

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  12:40:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I too worked for SPAR for 2 weeks. The pay wasn't worth the drive, paperwork, preassembling things at home, entering data at home & movie merchandising which is total disaster at one retailer. Then I get my 1st check (which was very quick) and they take out 3% administration fee on top of the low pay. I think the administration fee is going towards ADP but SPAR choose to use them I didn't and I shouldn't have to pay for it.

Tammy
Partner
All State Research
Go to Top of Page

Ellie G.
Contributor

ON
Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  10:16:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, all of the negative posts for Spar have been from the U.S. it seems. I just wanted to chime in, and offer my opinion on the Canadian division...I have had nothing but great experiences so far with this company, including an all-expenses paid conference, top-notch equipment and easy reports, and I make more money doing this than when I worked full-time in an office, hands down! Sure, the work is hard, but it's always there, and the pay rate is fair and prompt!

If you are looking for feedback on them, please bear in mind that the Canadian side is well-run, and you shouldn't hesitate to accept work from them.

MSPA Gold Certified #j0dnjw
Go to Top of Page

.Allie B
Inactive

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  3:14:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Someone called from Spar a few days ago with a job offer at K-Mart doing videos. The pay was really bad so I turned it down. It was IC work that after taxes I'm not sure it if would of even been minimum wage... allie

Go to Top of Page

WandaC

Sylacauga, Alabama
USA
43 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  07:56:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Spar called me the other day, too. I took the job. We'll see how it works out. It was setting end caps once a month and straightening a second visit in the month. Three stores. The hourly pay was a little more than I'm making with the two other companies I'm with. Like someone said above, Spar pays a store access fee which actually makes it a good bit more than the two other companies I work for. Wish I could get on with companies who pay more! Who are they?? Well, I do know of one other company I'll hopefully start up with soon that pays really well, but that kind of pay is definitely an exception. The rep in my area has a huge territory, has tons of work and has offered to let me have a couple of stores here.

Wanda - Late getting started today, but that's the beauty of merchandising, isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

GloriaD

Gloucester, VA
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  4:53:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was supposed to do a cosmetic reset job for them. I found the job through Narms. They were going to send me for some training since I didn't have much merchandising experience. I was excited about the training and the job. I never heard back from them. I e-mailed them and called the scheduler. She never returned my calls after I left voicemail messages. I e-mailed the main address and someone e-mailed me back saying that I had to wait on the scheduler. I e-mailed back and said I had not heard from her. They told me that she was very busy and she would be back with me. Well, needless to say, I never heard back. I am very disappointed about not getting the training and the job. It was going to be a learning experience. Oh well. I think they are a little slack.
Go to Top of Page

.DonnaMorehouse in CA
Inactive

Sacramento, CA
USA
287 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  11:40:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi All!

I have been reading the forums on the Spar Group and I have my first merchandising assignment this week. I am waiting to get the shipping labels. My scheduler seems very nice and since I need to get a new printer she sent everything to me in the mail.

Donna
Go to Top of Page

KrissyB
Contributor

Pasadena, MD
USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  12:09:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have worked with SPAR since November and I have no complaints. I only did video merchandising at first but the DM gave me a few other jobs that are bi-weekly. They are very easy and the pay is okay not the greatest but not the worst either. I have never had a problem with getting any feedback from my DM or any contacts at SPAR directly. I think each district may be different.

silver certified ha1itk and proud of it!
Shopping MD counties AA, PG, Baltimore, Howard and DC
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Trainee

SD
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  12:36:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have worked on different projects for SPAR and have been very satisfied with the experience. I must add that from what I've read and learned on different boards that your DM will have a HUGE impact on your experience. If you are fortunate enough to work with a great one like I have been (in the Midwest) it will be a rewarding experience. As we all know or will learn a good DM / scheduler can put things together to make days more profitable.
In addition, with SPAR you are paid every two weeks, on time, every time. In these uncertain times that is worth alot to this merchandiser.
Go to Top of Page

KYDeb1346
Trainee

Florence, KY
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  5:30:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I received a message from them earlier and of course ran right here to check them out. Sure glad I came here because it will make me listen more carefully to what is being offered when I return the call. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 68 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums