Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 68

Suza

St. Louis, MO
USA
39 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  7:09:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been with SPAR for several months now and I have found them to be very easy to work with. Like previously mentioned, it is regular work with regular pay. My DM is easy to get along with and my supervisor and the lady who trained me pretty much held my hand every step of the way until I was able to go at it alone.

I say go for it!

Suza
Go to Top of Page

SusanGA

Thomson, GA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  09:22:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I worked for them a couple of years ago for a few months. I was assigned one store to work at exclusively 2 or 3 days a week that was about 10 minutes from my home. NO problem, paperwork is a pain but the pay was dependable if nothing to brag about. At least, that was what I was told when I took the job. It became more like 4 or 5 days a week. The manager of the store I was assigned to requested a particular merchandiser that was assigned to another store and guess what? He got her! That left me with the store she had been doing and it was 30 miles from my home and in a crappy neighborhood with a store mgr that could care less so the store was a mess.

I got into this business full time to be able to make my own schedule. Now, I would be crazy to turn away auditing assignments that pay me $50 for an hour's work to take $9 per hr merchandising jobs and have a store mgr (that doesn't sign my paycheck) demand I work around his arbitrary schedule that he could change on a whim. That was my brief experience with SPAR. (They also never paid me for some over time work that had been approved by the DM because the store mgr got his drawers in a wad. Wasn't worth the effort to argue.)
Whew!! I feel better now that's off my chest!

Maybe others have had better experiences. I know they have been around forever, and different regions have better leaders. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

JennyK22

Marietta, GA
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  10:19:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My experience with Spar was a very disorganized one, to say the least. Aside from the lousy pay, this particular DMM loves to "stradle the fence" and appease whomever she is on the phone with at the time. I can never understand how an adult can be in that type of position and act like they are in highschool. I did many cosmetic resets for them in the spring and they withheld upwards of 2 grand from me at the end of the gig because they said they had to send another rep in the stores to do the projects. Funny, I have all of the call forms - signed, sealed, stamped, delivered, etc. Need I say more? I'm going after what is rightfully mine. Good luck to the next person!
Go to Top of Page

Linda3456

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  06:29:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was just hired by this company.Has anyone had trouble with the time that was allotted for a job to be done in? It seems to be alot of work for so little time.Also,if more time was needed to complete project where you paid for it?
Go to Top of Page

CindyFrenchie

Houston, TX
USA
39 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  10:18:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here's kind of a new twist on this old topic.....I received en email from their office, indicating that they had tried to reach me "several" times by telephone, but I was not available. If I was still interested in working for them as an in-store demonstrator (response to an on-line application), then please call this toll free number between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm EST. Well, guess what? No one ever picks up the telephone, as I have dialed the number numerous times. Anyone else out there getting these kind of emails? There does seem to be plenty of work out there otherwise, so I think I will nix calling them anymore. Have a great day everyone!

"Men are happier because no matter how much hair they have it is always enough!"

Cindy French
Go to Top of Page

CJWuensche

Wichita, Kansas
USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  12:27:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I havent yet done the merchandising work that Ive been hired for but to add my two cents in, the lady that I have spoken to so far has been so nice to me. Compared to another company that Ive been working with so far, even to the point of her offering me her cell number to reach her. Well, I start the job soon and the lady before me has even offered to train me before she leaves, so it sounds good to me. Ill let you know how things go.

Crystal
Go to Top of Page

Jenny41
Star Contributor

Ohio
USA
746 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  12:55:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I received one of these emails yesterday, called and got right through. The lady I spoke with updated my info and was very nice. They are supposed to be getting ready for demo work in my area. So far so good. I will update.
Go to Top of Page

CindyFrenchie

Houston, TX
USA
39 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  9:14:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update Jenny. I did end up calling their toll free number for the closest office to me, and was routed to personnel. I left a message, but no return phone call yet. Maybe we should compare the toll free number? Cindy

Cindy French
Go to Top of Page

JennyK22

Marietta, GA
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  10:48:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, I didn't get the e-mail with the 800 number, but I did get an e-mail saying "you set cosmetics for us in the spring, and we now have the Eckerd contract for the fall set, so call your DMM." HA! Refer to my previous post where they owe me upwards of 2K. You would think they would remove me from their database, given that I am and will succeed at getting the money owed to me.
Go to Top of Page

Leisa
Star Contributor

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  11:26:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
For those who work for SPAR, do you have your own Worker's Comp Insurance or do you take the 3% payroll deduction for it? Which they note as an administration fee.

I am considering working for them and this w/c insurance is not something I have to do with any of the other companies I demo for.

Thanks for your input.

Go to Top of Page

JennyK22

Marietta, GA
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  11:36:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I never knew the admin fee was to cover w/comp insurance. I never had to fill out an IC contract and when I asked about this admin fee, they said it was to cover "expenses" such as mailings, etc. Glad to know now what I paid for.
Go to Top of Page

Jenny41
Star Contributor

Ohio
USA
746 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  02:12:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
1-800-753-0200 is what I have. But still no job offers, Cindy.
Go to Top of Page

Laurence-MA

MA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  2:47:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Glad I read your post, I was going to apply as I work full time doing cut ins and resets but have most afternoons free to do other work. They have a job on the MA CT border posted in a town I work in every other week, but after reading about the "admin fee" for W/C forget it, I will not pay anyone for the privilege of working for them. W/C insurance is an employer cost at every place I have worked at here in the Northeast part of the country. I have never had to pay an admin fee for anything nor would I. They will keep posting until they find someone desperate enough to take on the job I guess. Funny, you can tell the companies not to apply to when you see the same ad postings every other week for the same job. Does that tell you something.
Go to Top of Page

JennyK22

Marietta, GA
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  10:06:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You are so right - w/comp insurance is and should be provided by the employer with no contribution from an employee (sub contractor, etc.). But this just blows my mind because they told me it was "admin fees," paperwork processing, etc. Blows my mind.
Go to Top of Page

CindyFrenchie

Houston, TX
USA
39 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  8:14:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey, and update and a little information. I did make contact with a nice lady at the 1-800 number....seems she was just asking the questions for the pre-screen, and could give me no additional information other than SPAR is preparing for demos in the near future.

Regarding the workers comp, if you are covered under the state plan, then some states allow your "employer" to deduct half the cost from the employee. HOWEVER, with that said, and assuming you are going to be an IC, most major companies have a broad master insurance policy that covers their exposure to worker injuries by IC's and non-standard payroll folks. The amount that they are claiming for WComp could very well be the premium they have allocated to cover this exposure. I do agree that it is really THEIR cost of doing business, but those who can will pass it along to the IC's.

Cindy French
Go to Top of Page

.Lily Kerns
Inactive

Kingsport, Tennessee
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  7:07:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I worked for Spar for six years. This was the first company I had ever worked for as a merchandiser. I had twelve years experience in retail, though, so I knew how to do everything. I took care of all of East Tennessee by myself, and was paid fairly. However, Spar, like
most companies, think they need to hire more people..just in case. When my territory began to shrink, so did my paycheck. When I complained to my DM, she had me taken off payroll. I still had around
$700 in compensation due me, and payroll was telling me I had to be re-instated to get a check. A call to the Dept of Labor locally helped me. I sent a fax to the regional manager promising a law suit
would be filed on Friday if I didn't get a check. I would name her, the DM and the payroll clerk, and they would all have to come to Tennessee for the complaint. I had store managers[friends] that could verify I did the back wall lighting sets. The Dept of Labor also told me to let them know if I filed the suit. They would see to it that Spar couldn't work in the state of Tennessee for one year. I noted this in the fax to the regional manager. I got my check FEDEX on that Friday. I have gone on to a successful career in merchandising ever since. SPAR.....NO THANKS

Lily Kerns
Go to Top of Page

JennyK22

Marietta, GA
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  01:35:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lily: Your situation is interesting. How long ago was this? Time has come and gone and SPAR did not respond to my current lawsuit, so, I will get a judgement; getting the money is another task in itself (see my previous post). When I filed the suit, it was really no longer about money - it was about principle - and a very unscrupulous individual handling this territory. Just isn't right. I'm glad things worked out for you!
Go to Top of Page

Annette Hart
Apprentice

Blue Island, IL
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  12:15:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi. I just accepted a merchandising job with Spar that starts in September. Since this will be my first job I am pretty excited. After reading all of the post I am choosing to be optimistic. And the fact that I will be working with a team is to my advantage. I feel as if this is an opportunity for me to learn the in's and out's to merchandising because it is for a store set-up. Will keep you all posted once the job is complete. Wish me luck.
Go to Top of Page

.Lily Kerns
Inactive

Kingsport, Tennessee
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  3:53:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hello, Actually, that was eight years ago. In the six years I worked for them, I guess I had nine DMs. There seemed to be a constant changing. I think the DM I had when my work ended was Rush.
Someone in payroll gave me the regional managers fax number, as she
wanted to clear up my outstanding work. As I said, it was the Dept
of Labor that told me to file a lawsuit and name those people specifically. The only other company I've had problems with was People Plus. I never got paid for a demo. They said they never got the paperwork, but it wasn't a large amount like Spar owed me. I get
regular requests from NARMS from they asking if I'd like to work for them. That's an instant delete as far as I'm concerned. Later.

Lily Kerns
Go to Top of Page

YSaez1976
Apprentice

Paterson, NJ
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  7:50:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just received an offer from spar today, placing pop displays in various stores, the DM was nice and helpful. i have nothing bad to say as of yet. thanks for the warning though

Yessica Saez
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 68 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums