Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 68

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  3:03:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I gave up my KM, I had to turn in my HH. Not that I miss it, it was one of the oldest one that they had. It would not communicate automatically, so to get anything I had to prompt it. Basic pain. When I have to take inventory, it would be nice, but otherwise, I've learned to live without it.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

JenNova
Contributor

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  3:56:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Question? Did it require a phone line? I do not have a landline so I hope there is another way to submit it.
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  8:49:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My HH used to use a landline, then last year they changed and it now uses the computer connected by a usb cord. They other spar merchandisers I know all said they were changed over to the computer also.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jenny41
Star Contributor

Ohio
USA
746 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  01:53:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I still have an old one that uses a landline. I had to give back the new one when CC closed.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  05:41:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mine was also a landline connection. It actually was a requirement when I hired on, back in the day. I also only had dial up at the time. Be sure to tell your RM the situation.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  10:55:07 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
SPAR handles the DVD rental boxes in some stores. (NOT Redbox) I just picked up 3 locations. At least, I got a foot in the door.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  1:05:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jeff, Spar WAS doing the TNR boxes last year in my area until RedBox took over. In my area there were 4 TNR machines that were replaced. After they were replaced, Spar lost 1 rep, she didn't have much else.

Welcome to Spar.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  02:35:49 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
OH FUN!! I was called Sunday to take on ODs and KMs week 7. I now have to learn HH fast. For a visit that is NOT a total inventory, how much HH do you do? Do you HH every title each visit?
How do you deal with the dump bin?
Is the time allowed reasonable for those assignments?

My base frame of reference is CMS Sony which I did without HH units.

Thanks for any responses.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  05:04:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jeff, calm down, I did not have any training for my HH. As soon as you know which HH you are getting, take the training courses @ sparinc.com . Different HHs work differently. If your like me, your HH will beep at you several times, until you get it figured out. You will find that it will be much easier to report OOS and returns, but only if there are labels for the OOS. The returns, you'll just scan each dvd and not have to worry about whether it's WS or FS or a different title.

My KM starting teasing me that when my HH didn't beep, I wasn't doing anything. I was doing things right, and it didn't have to beep.

My dump bin was easy. The hardest thing in my store was KEEPING OUT the non-approved titles out. The bin always looks messy, it's supposed to, hence the 'dump' part of the name.

I don't know how much time is allowed for OD, my store was easy. But also, the store manager at that store was a former merchandiser and expects more out of his staff than alot of stores.

My KM was overwhelming, I was trying to do everything and keep everything in place and neat. DON'T. The store is supposed to do most of all of the work, unless a reset. There is just enough time to do what you are supposed to do. My store went thru 4 merchandisers before I came in. That's 4 in less than 3 months. I don't believe, nor did some of the store's employees, that those merchandisers did their jobs even a little bit. Basically showed up, signed in and then signed out and took the entire time, without doing anything.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Sherry Lyons

Junction City, OR
USA
49 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  1:45:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Spar just picked up the Sony jobs from the big red s stores that another company had the contract for. The other company's last day was on Friday. So Spar should be having more work for people.

Sherry Lyons
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  4:05:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What store is that? big Red S Store? I don't know of anything like that near me.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  4:33:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jeff, for km, we don't have to report OOS or returns anymore.You just have to report your store contact, time in & out,and your mx #. And for OD, reporting OOS & returns is easy.Once you've used the HH a couple of times, it becomes very easy.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Sherry Lyons

Junction City, OR
USA
49 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  5:38:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The Big Red stores with an S is Safe---here in Oregon. I don't know what stores are serviced in your area. All I know is that Spar is now doing this account for Sony.

Sherry Lyons
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  06:51:08 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I must say few DMs work as hard as my DM. We have talked morning, midday and at night. She answers her own phones. She is hardworking and has inspired me to do all I can to fill in scheduling holes for her.
Yesterday, she had me call a SPAR help line. I found them helpful and supportive. I have several things to learn about doing things SPAR's way, but with this kind of support, I'm sure to be successful.

UPDATE: 02/20/2010. It turns out that SPAR has a dedicated weekend support person too. I received a call today while I was out on jobs. The weekend person asked how things were going on a select few and was helpful on the other jobs that I was working today as well.

While I'm still a new kid on SPAR's block, few other companies have built such a support team for us. I've been doing what I do for over 5 years. I am very pleased to have been added to the SPAR team.

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Lynne
Contributor

PA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  11:09:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Has anyone done the private pharmacy resets? I did one already, they are the first 3 weeks of each mnoth. Just want ot know what you all think about them.

Sharon Lynne
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  04:49:47 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just read my first pay report. I was told some jobs are flat rate. Those have been paid as agreed. They are easy to deal with.
I was also told a certain hourly rate would apply for the other jobs. One of the hourly pay jobs worked out as expected. The project is one that I have experience with from another company. I know what I am doing and enjoy doing it. The other job for the same client at a different location was a financial disappointment to be polite. I did it quickly. I was only paid actual time. I'm not sure anybody would do any project for the pay on that project. It won't buy a Whopper. Needless to say I will discuss it with my DM.
If you are new to this company, come to a clear understanding as to a minimum rate per assignment. I am guilty of assuming. It won't happen again.

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page

Kelly F.
Star Contributor

WA
USA
563 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  06:32:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I worked for Spar for a year and loved it! If they had more work i wouldn't of had to find another job. My DM was heavenly. Always answered her emails,was there to help and the pay was exactly what they stated. She was really sad to see me leave but when they took out the movie cube i had every week,the jobs went to down to 3 a year instead of 1 a week.

Kelly,
Silver Certified.
Merchandising The Puget Sound Area and Loving it! Love what you do, do what you love!
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  08:46:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, Jeff, they pay per hour/minute. If you report 3 minutes, you will be paid for 3 minutes. If you are on a job that you can complete quickly, you can always find something to clean or updating a manager on future work IS part of the work. Good relations are a big part of merchandising work, as you know. Be sure to report your time correctly, sometimes typoing a 3 instead of 30 really shortens your pay.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

JenNova
Contributor

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  6:25:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anyone get their HHP Dolphin to work with Vista or Windows 7?
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  11:06:06 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jen: Contact either HH support or Diane Osborne at SPAR.
Diane is the one who leads the telephone conference calls on the SPAR orientation and all the HHs too. She is cheery and knows her stuff.
HH support has been backlogged lately. Check your message board for instuctions on how to setup a callback.

I inherited a MC70 from someone who resigned in this area. I still have no clue if the thing works, because they failed to load my work into it. My first impression from the training is it may be more trouble than it is worth. It transmits straight to the central computer without my being able to review it on a regular size PC screen. Given my DVD experiece for another merchandiser company, I'm tempted to give it back to the Indians. Unfortunately that won't fly because the powers that be are sold on this method of doing things.

To anybody thinking I'm down on SPAR, just review my comments at the top of this page. The support is excellent, but some things are just done differently than the other companies that I have merchandised for. There is plenty of work last week and next. I foresee more as the video box market increases locations. The vast majority of the work is easy to deal with. I have one client that I am just behind the learning curve on . The store is patient and appreciates me being there, so given time and effort, it will work out.

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 68 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums