Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 68

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  05:31:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I started with Certified and then the next company was Spar. I did find different with Spar, but Certified was SOOO easy that I didn't think Spar was different.

Since then, I've found out that other companies are different than Spar. Not bad, just different.

Your HH experiences will get better. They had a training module on each machine within the Spar Tools, that might help you. The HH that I inherited would not communicate on it's own, I had to force it each week. Gave it about a year ago, and DON'T miss it at all.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  09:33:50 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
IF you guys & gals have the Matel assembly job this week, take a tape measure with you. That is not listed in the instructions, but the instructions call for certain heights between shelves and off the floor.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  11:26:39 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just received my first check from SPAR. They taxed me about 2.9% of the gross pay for workman's compensation.

Between that and getting the short dirty end of the $tick financially on some assignments that only took 5-10 minutes to do because I honestly reported my time, I'm going to have to look elsewhere for a fair compenation plan. The hourly pay rate is ok if they pay you the hour, but when they only pay a couple of bucks for those quick and easy jobs, there is a skunk with a raised tail in the back yard.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  05:51:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jeff, If you have your own WC policy, tell them and they won't take the WC out.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jenny41
Star Contributor

Ohio
USA
746 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  2:04:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Also, do not quit and expect your final paycheck in a timely manner!
Go to Top of Page

Jenny41
Star Contributor

Ohio
USA
746 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  01:24:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have an HR contact for this company? My DM has not answered my emails and I would like to be paid. I simply left to take a full-time position and she got mad. The rate of pay and the distance I was driving was not profitable. I still deserve to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  05:27:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
sorry I don't at this time. Gail is my RM, was she yours? She's out of KY, but I don't know what all states she covers.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  06:53:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny41

Does anyone have an HR contact for this company? My DM has not answered my emails and I would like to be paid. I simply left to take a full-time position and she got mad. The rate of pay and the distance I was driving was not profitable. I still deserve to be paid.

The only phone number I have is the "help" desk. However they should be able to give you HR's phone number or connect you to them. Just call, explain the situation and insist that you want the number, 1-800-438-2566 Make sure you report this DM as well.
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  3:41:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This was several years ago.

I had been a full-time representative for a music distribution and merchandising company for going on eight years. One of the major chains decided to go with a different supplier and I was laid off.

KMart, soon after this happened, decided to have one company service music and another video. SPAR did the video.

A SPAR DM contacted me and asked if I would be interested in "cleaning up" several of the local KMart stores, as service had not been what it should be. SPAR usually paid for 2 hours for a service call (not even close to enough time given the size of the departments), but the DM told me that she would pay for however much time it took for me to get the stores in order.

The first store had roughly the same amount of product in backstock and overstock as it had on the floor. I set about pulling multiples from the floor and the stockrooms and categorizing/aphabetizing the store. When it came time to actually scan out the return, the product had to be separated out by studio and then scanned by studio. I think I returned something like 2500 VHS and DVDs. The store printed out a copy of the return, which I then had to call in line by line to the SPAR returns department.

The service call took a total of fourteen hours, including 5 hours to call in the return.

I received my paycheck for the visit and- you're way ahead of me, aren't you?- it was for 2 hours. I called the DM and she denied ever telling me that they would pay for anything other than a regular 2 hour service call. Then she asked me when I could do another store.
I think my reply mentioned "hell" and "freezing over".

Robert
Over 30 years in the Field
Go to Top of Page

Jenny41
Star Contributor

Ohio
USA
746 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  04:49:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Marla, my DM was Patti. I really liked her but I guess her "niceness" was a front.

Robert, I feel for you. I had 2 Kmarts and they are still a mess.

I guess the payroll department is a closely guarded secret. Never fear, if I do not receive it in the next payroll round, I will contact someone. Perhaps the BBB? Whenever I have contacted the help desk I have always gotten voicemail, some "help"!
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  2:45:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny41

Marla, my DM was Patti. I really liked her but I guess her "niceness" was a front.

Robert, I feel for you. I had 2 Kmarts and they are still a mess.

I guess the payroll department is a closely guarded secret. Never fear, if I do not receive it in the next payroll round, I will contact someone. Perhaps the BBB? Whenever I have contacted the help desk I have always gotten voicemail, some "help"!

Here is the toll free number listed on the Spar website for their office: 1-800-447-5347. Give that a shot.
Go to Top of Page

Jenny41
Star Contributor

Ohio
USA
746 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  1:26:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got thru on the above number, thanks Sue. They gave me the number to payroll, I called. The woman was very nice, says I will have a check this Friday (more than 5 days) but I will take it. Thanks again, everyone.
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  2:32:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Did anyone else get an email from Spar about reporting of time while in stores?

Michael
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  3:41:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yup, I was insulted. I don't work alot for Spar, but at this time, every little bit helps. Some of my jobs barely pays me to show up, counting mileage ONLY. I have debated whether working for them was worth the hassle, but I don't have enough other work to give them up. If they push more, I may not have to debate any longer.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jenny41
Star Contributor

Ohio
USA
746 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  4:20:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
MArla that is one reason I quit. My check barely paid the gas.
Go to Top of Page

KaritoWA
Star Contributor

WA
USA
335 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  8:28:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Michael,

Spar recently acquired a company that I work for and we are transitioning to Spar system right now. I did get an email this morning to go to the website and acknowledge that falsifying a report is a firing offense. It did say it was being sent to all spar merchandisers.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  8:46:38 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
AFAIK, the timely report email was a general broadcast thing. They sent one to the new hire on our team who has not been active long enough to see a paycheck. They did post the same on the message board this afternoon or early evening. Now it has disappeared a few hours later.
The fun part was the acknowledgement job added to the jobs list. My DMM is on vacation until Wednesday. I expect to chat with her about it.

I have two store chains that are not regular, but do happen most months. The tasks are quickly accomplished which means not worth getting out of bed for without a minimum amount of pay. They currently do not have one. After my first pay report, I talked with a midmanagement person about the need for minimum pay for these jobs. She understands, but that is all she can do. She is in a position to pipe up if someone higher up says something.

To be fair, I do have 4 weekly perms at a set flat pay that are worth getting out of bed for. Frequently, they take less time to do than to get there and back. I can route 3 of them reasonably.
Depending on the due date, I can sometimes route the quickies with one of them or another task. I cannot depend on that always being the case.

Sue: The subject was accuracy of reporting. There was nothing about calling in from the store.

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  11:17:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What company is SPAR taking over?

Most companies account for drive time in there jobs. That is why I like the pay per store deal that they do.

With SPAR I have to print their paperwork (which is overdone), use all that paper and ink, read the paperwork, drive to the location, and report a lot of information on their web site. So the time in the store is not the true actual time I put in for each location. If they feel otherwise they are mistaken. There are labor laws, and just because it is independent contractor work does not mean that they can avoid these laws.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  05:57:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The message said that they could/would check and compare our reported times to the log sheet times.
The 'assignment' basically asked if you received the message and did you understand. Not if you agreed.
Most of my Spar work is timed, not paid by visit. I really prefer the per visit work, but I take what I can get these days.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jenny41
Star Contributor

Ohio
USA
746 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  10:50:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Spar just acquired NMS.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 68 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums