Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 68

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  3:21:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue, you said it ALL. The only thing, for me, that Spar has going for them is the payment of required printing. Plus I get a regular 2 hours every 2 weeks. LOL. Most of my other work isn't as regular as these 2 little jobs.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Marion
Contributor

Goochland, Virginia
USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  6:51:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Though not a new merchandiser, I am a newbie at Spar and so far am very pleased with the help and understanding I have gotten from two area supervisors. Extra time spent learning the job have been promptly paid.
As for the expenses of gas, paper,etc, those are the expenses that should be documented and listed as expenses on your tax return. I keep a journal for miles driven from my house, the route and back home, in my glove compartment and that too gets reported.
Go to Top of Page

Heather_NW
Trainee

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  6:52:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I noticed that in the instructions for at least one of the upcoming projects, there is a blunt reminder that our data must be accurate. This reminder is directed at the data rather than the time reported. I hope that these reminders are general broadcasts (as mentioned in other posts). It is possible that these are due to acquiring the other company and many new reps.
Go to Top of Page

BrianHanson37
Valued Contributor

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  7:05:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had a bad experience with them and never even worked for them. I saw a posting on NARMS that they needed a rep for a local town. I responded, filled everything out, and waited. I had a girl call (forgot name) asking me to call back. I tried several times that day, and every time her voicemail was full. She then called back the next day and I did the same as I did the first. This went on for a few days. I also emailed her every day too and she said that she would call me. Seems like they will only discuss things with you when THEY want to!

If they treat me like this, I don't want to deal with this crap when I'm out in the field and I need a question answered before I can proceed. Kind of glad I ran the other way!

Good luck to those hanging in there!
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  7:14:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
That is already an given that these expenses are documented for the IRS. Some people are doing these jobs and not taking the fully allotted time when they report. Because they are not taking account the printing of paperwork, perusal of paperwork, driving and reporting of jobs on website when they get home. I don't know about you, I am not going into an location that is slotted for $10 and only taking home $5. The management wants you to take the full time that is alloted for each job. They just can't tell you that officially.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

JuliaS
Trainee

New Market, TN
USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  2:32:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Back in 2006 both my daughter adn I worked for SPAR. I liked it, but the travel to teh assigned stores was in the middle of pigeon forge and many times I just sat in traffic.

If they woudl put me back on, I had amedicalleave, and coudl give me local stores I would go back. I had a wonderful DM and I was sorry to leave but between health and drive to the store it was awful.
I thik the DM is what makes the job worthwhile too.

Julia
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  05:15:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Has anyone done the NCR kiosk? If so, please tell about the job. I have been offered 3 stores.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  07:41:21 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Publix, Sheetz, 7-11 and 99 Cent stores have a different procedure than all others. If you have one of those, then what I write below requires a rethink.

If you are available WED, THUR or FRI and if the locations are within a reasonable distance - GRAB THEM!!!!
If you can blend the locations on those days with something else -GRAB THEM!!!! They become your PERMS util you say otherwise.
Paperwork is easy. In store time is 15 minutes to an hour if there are issues to call in or you have trouble getting the required store signature. Tip:GET THE JOB TITLE OF THE PERSON SIGNING. The question is NOT on the form, but is asked (required) when you report on line. Signature is not limited to a manager. Customer Service folks may sign. The paycheck is dependably snailmailed every other week. We have 3 paydays in April!! I get my check on Monday or Tuesday after payday. They pay toward printing costs IF you click the correct button which tells them you printed something and which project it was for.

Lifting is not an issue. It's an oversized box shipped to the store weekly - sometimes two boxes. The most DVDs I've done in one location was about a dozen. Usually it's about 6-8 DVDs depending on how well the box is renting. If it is a very popular new release, then that number may increase a few copies.
They send you a DVD case which is your key to the computer to load the DVDs and a key. (Keep up with them.) The key is for the bottom panel which you are expected to remove each week to check for DVDs that did not load including DVDs belonging to customers put in the DVD case in error and competitor (redbox, etc) DVDs placed in our cases. You check with the store in case the customer had problems returning DVDs. You use your key case to access the computer so you can credit the return about a week to ten days and attempt to load those DVDs in addition to the new releases. I've had up to 8 of those in addition to the new releases in one location.
No gas money nor travel time. Pay is flat rate per location.
==> IF you get other tasks (very likely), find out if it is flat rate or by time (hourly rate). These are the folks who pay six minutes if you report the job done in six minutes. IF they pay you $10.00 per hour, my example is only $1.00 on the jobs by time.

New installs can be a pain, because the boxes load slowly. The flat rate pay for new installs is too low for the time involved. The pay rate should be stable if you start in two weeks from this date or later as they just reset the pay rate.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  1:09:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jeff, you answered most of my questions, even ones I didn't ask. I already work for Spar, since 3/08, and found out that the other 'main' rep in my area has given noticed. So my work for them is doubling and maybe tripling, in addition to the NCRs. I have never done the TNR or NCR machines, so I'll have to learn how to load and etc, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. This work will be just barely enough to pay the bills, which I've been worried about.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  5:02:06 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
THe NCR boxs are the former TNR operation. The TNR training on the SPAR Etraining is outdated. If you have any problems, just call the SAL line or the phone numbers on the weekly instruction sheet.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  7:33:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm no longer working for them. Do they pull any stunts about money owed? If anyone knows, that would be great.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  7:45:14 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
They are strict about working over the time budget or getting DM approval to go past the alloted time. Failure to do so may get you paid only for the alloted time.
Scroll back a few pages to see my posting about only getting paid actual work time vs any minumim pay for the assignments paid by the hourly rate. The boxes above are flat rate, so that is different.
Checks have been dependable for the four pay periods (8 weeks) that I have been with them.
The receipt for the equipment is very clear that I need to take good care of the equipment in my possession or the co$t will be a set dollar amount.

Have they sent me a bill or asked me to pay anything separately? No. They do take out money from your check to go toward workman's comp which was an unpleasant surprise to me when I got my first check. It's the only company that I work with to do so.

I don't know if your question is answered above or not.

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  11:02:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm no longer working for Spar as of today; I was wondering about getting money owed to me. Do they try to pull something and not pay.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  12:51:36 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
That I do not know. Your DM has the normal exit information.
I suggest you return your equipment in a timely manner and as instructed by your DM or SPAR officials. Pack everything well to avoid shipping damage. I would make sure you get receipts for all your equipment and proof of delivery for anything shipped. I would ship the HH only via UPS or FEDEX to get better tracking. Mark the shipping order SIGNATURE REQUIRED.

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
785 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  07:10:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ActorMichael

I'm no longer working for Spar as of today; I was wondering about getting money owed to me. Do they try to pull something and not pay.

Michael, what happened? Did you quit? I am sorry things didn't work out for whatever reason. Hope you find something better, very soon.
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  09:14:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Sue! I have been wanting to not work for them for some time. Many times they would want me to go to the Valley to LA for just one little job; so we are talking about three hours for one little job.

I got an call yesterday from the DM and VP wanting me to go back to an Vons for free; I said I would do it this one time, but if they would assign this to someone else for now on; the VP responded that they were removing all the work and then she hanged up. They don't allow for enough time to complete the SONY job and all the paper work for this job each time is ridiculous.

There pay is cheap. I like getting paid by the piece for each location.

Fortunately I have other work. I want to thank you for the lead at the time you gave it to me.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie Powell
Valued Contributor

New Orleans, LA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  12:02:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Michael

When I resigned from them and sent all my supplies back they paid me according to the regular payroll schedule with no problems.

Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  12:51:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have not ever quit the company, but have quit one job that required a HH. I passed the HH onto the next rep. I did have to return the same HH for repairs and they sent me a return tag, so I didn't have to pay any postage.

In regards to not enough time/money for the Sony jobs, I can do most of all the work they require in the amount of time allowed. If I go over, I report why and then I get paid for the extra time, with no problems.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  2:00:10 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Michael;

For those of us far enough away, we need a map to find Los Angeles, what is the drive time/distance involved for the goback to Vons and the other job you mentioned?

Personally, I can do the the Sony job faster, cheaper, more effectively and quicker if the HH battery "dies" on the way in.
They don't like being told that. The HH is NOT my friend.

I agree other merchandiser companies do the Sony job in a manner easier from the standpoint of what the merchandiser has to do including reporting proceedures. As far as the time budget, other merchandiser companies that I have been associated with allow about the same amount of time or require you to call in for more time as does SPAR.

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  2:51:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I get the feeling that SPAR is one of these companies that just loves to build a huge database of potential employees whether or not they actually have work available.

I know that they have run ads on NARMS, AllRetailJobs and a couple more sites for my neck of the woods since January. I've applied for pretty much all of them via one method or another (email, fax, website, Facebook, mail and a couple others). I hear nothing and, within a week, the same exact listings pop up again.

If you do not have a position to offer or at least the strong possibility of needed to add people in the near-term, don't waste our time by running bogus ads. It's tough enough out here finding legit openings.

Robert
Over 30 years in the Field
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 68 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums