Marla
Go to Top of Page

KrisInLuck
Contributor

Luck, WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  05:42:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I haven't checked this thread for a few days. Glad Marla got that to you, Brian.

I got a check from them yesterday for $2.50 for sitting through the conference call. I'll give them credit for that.

Kris...in Luck, WI
Merchandising in West Central WI and East Central MN
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  4:54:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If it's mandatory, you will be paid. I haven't worried about any checks from Spar, except 1 than had mailing problems that we were informed of, in the 4 1/2 years that I've been with them. I can count on what day of the week, unless a postal holiday, even. Can't say that about many companies.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  9:24:27 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Once again - Double check your assignment dates very carefully on your job board.
My regular KM 5276 is due Tueseay - Thursday.
My SBT at the same KM is due Monday - Wednesday.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  05:59:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I noticed that, really messed with my schedule. I have a special visit on one store today, so I thought I could do the NCRs and OD. Then on Thursday I could do the rest. No I'll have to change things. I'll be visiting one store 2x this week. I'm not driving to town just for $11 or so, I'm at least making enough to pay for gas. Was working 8-10 hrs last week and didn't get anything done otherwise (2 companies), don't plan on 2 weeks like that in a row.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

KrisInLuck
Contributor

Luck, WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  06:40:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
SPAR blows my mind again....

After everything that I already documented in this thread, I landed a regular route with another company in addition to my route with the first company. I don't even have time to do laundry! I removed my bookmark to the site and haven't looked at it since.

Saturday's mail brought me stuff from SPAR to do a job in Amery, which is about 30 miles from home in a direction *none* of my work takes me. Yesterday, I get a form email from them telling me it must be done this week. It's a heavy week with both jobs, plus an extra job in Rice Lake which works only because my daughter has an appointment with a foot surgeon that afternoon at the hospital there.

I replied to the email:
quote:
I applied for a regular route with SPAR, spanning the MN/WI border, because they had an notice on NARMS for Chisago City, MN, which I drive by twice a week with my regular merchandising route. I got several emails from the WI manager, but no work, and the MN manager - who I would work for more frequently - took nearly a month and several emails to get in touch with me to tell me that the person doing Chisago store decided not to leave. I let her, and the recruiter, know that I wasn't interested in working for a company with that type of management. Since that time, I have been hired by ***, as an employee, and between the two jobs I'm more than busy.

I will happily return the items that arrived in yesterday's mail if someone would send me an address to send it to. Amery is too far off my regular route (I work Forest Lake, Rush City, and Pine City in MN, as well as St. Croix Falls, New Richmond, Frederic, Siren, and Grantsburg in WI) to fit that in to my already six days a week of work.

Disappointed does not begin to cover how I felt after sitting through the conference call that was full of people who have obviously never done this work before. But I got a check for $2.43 for wasting the time on it. Please remove me from your roster of reps, because it's just not how I do business and I will not work for a company with standards lower than my own.

Kristine *******

I struggle with the second job, because their standards aren't what I'm used to, and the time given to learn the job and do it right while cleaning up a crazy amount of backstock from the three previous reps who didn't stay long at all, but at least there is communication. And it's getting to the point in the stores that I'm getting the overstock out and on the floor so I finally have some idea of what I need to order and what I have gathering dust in the back.

Does anyone knows where I would send this stuff to return it to them? It's two AA batteries and a label for laundry detergent.

Kris...in Luck, WI
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  07:02:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Contact Gail. I'm sure whichever state didn't realize that you had quit them. If you didn't do it in writing, anyone would assume that you were still interested.

This job is a simple visit to a $store, you will not need the batteries, they didn't send enough. Plus change out POP, along with a mag vist. should take about 1-2 hours.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

KrisInLuck
Contributor

Luck, WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  10:05:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm already working six days a week between the employment jobs. My daughter has an appt with a surgeon on Friday, so I can't work Friday. And I have no desire whatsoever to deal with them anymore.

I forwarded the whole thing to the recruiter, who apologized *again* that it didn't work out.

If a company treats the people who are out there doing the real work at store level like they are not worthy of decent, professional communication, I will not work for them. Gail never got back to me after I let her know what my route was like way back when. Just blew it off.

Unprofessional all around, with the exception of the recruiter, who I hope very much finds a better company to recruit for. She deserves better than SPAR.

Kris...in Luck, WI
Go to Top of Page

Jenny41
Star Contributor

Ohio
USA
746 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  12:10:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow Kris, sorry you have had such a bad experience. I love SPAR, have been with them for years. I would highly recommend them to anyone.
Go to Top of Page

Jenny41
Star Contributor

Ohio
USA
746 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  12:13:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow Kris, sorry you have had such a bad experience. I have been with SPAR for years and love them.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  2:29:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree with Jenny41, I quit every other company to stay with Spar. I've been with them since 3/2008 and they will be my last company to work for when I give merchandising.

I've never heard of Gail blowing anyone off. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  5:01:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been with them since 1998 and never had a problem.
Kris working for merchandising companies is like any other job. If you don't want to work for them, then you have to give them notice that you are quitting them. If you don't send a notice in writing, how are they suppose to know, you don't want to work for them.
I have been a merchandiser for 20+ years.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

KrisInLuck
Contributor

Luck, WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2012 :  7:44:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue, given the lack of contact, I would say I never worked for them at all. I've worked two jobs for the last 17 years, mostly in restaurants where the turnover is ridiculous, and I always gave notice. Walking away without notice is what kids do, and I never even did it when I was a teenager. I moved out on my own my senior year of high school, and I've been working ever since.

BUT - working as an IC for two years of mystery shopping to supplement my waitress wages, I learned that if I never hear from them until it's an emergency that sends my schedule into uproar, chances are pretty good I don't really want to work for them. The two companies I work for now are employers, not contractors. That, combined with the pretty shoddy communication, makes a huge difference to me.

The people I work for will get exactly what they give me. If they give me communication, and work, I'll move mountains for them. When they don't, and it's not an employee situation - not happening.

But my personal standards matter as well, and I don't want to find myself on the short end of the stick because the people above me don't care. And that's the message I got from SPAR.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Kris...in Luck, WI
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2012 :  07:15:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
IC for merchandising companies and mystery companies are different animals, in my experience. Mystery shopping companies have never offered me enough to make it worth my while. Merchandising has been supporting me for the last 5 years, Spar being my main company.

When I first started with Spar, same DM, I had 1 store and she made sure that I had enough $$s to do that 1 job each and every week. Was I making money, not really, but it did pay for me to go to town and get the groceries done on the same trip. Now, I'm making $400-$700 per month with them. It took awhile, just like almost any company that you start with.

Also, merchandising companies, the most part, you are given a territory (either store or area) and that territory is yours to complete all jobs in that territory. Mystery companies, you choose your assignments. Once you sign up with a merchandising company, they expect you to work your assigned stores unless you give them written notice. No notice, means you still want to work for them. This does not mean, if you don't get communication or not.

Most RM/DMs have several hundred of reps, and most of the time you don't hear from them, unless you are doing things WRONG. I know GK has over 700 active reps that she is over. Plus she is out in the field doing the same work that we do.

Sorry SHE didn't communicate to you personally, I'm sure she didn't have time to chit-chat, and just assumed that you were still interested UNLESS you communicated to her that YOU didn't want to work.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2012 :  07:24:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kris, after rereading your posts, did you ever contact Spar DMs with your notice of not working. I'm not talking about the recruiters, I've found that they are only interested in you IF they can hire you, nothing else. All quitting needs to be done either directly to the Spar corporation or the DM/RM. If you didn't do that, it's understandable that they didn't know about you NOT wanting more work.

Plus, if you didn't realize, those POP items don't always come from Spar, but from the client, and they are not as up-to-date as spar is.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2012 :  07:27:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How did everyone 'enjoy' their SBT resets this week? In my case, each of the store took longer than ever to inventory, reprice and reset than ever before. Also, the racks are not very organized with the new price point reset. Before if you wanted to buy 2-3 of 1 title (for gifts or whatever), you could just look in 1 spot and pick up all of them. Now, you have to look everywhere, and MAYBE you might be able to find them. Now they look more like the $$stores racks, very cheap looking, imho.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

KrisInLuck
Contributor

Luck, WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2012 :  08:21:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did tell the DMs I would not work for them. And I told them why. I told them in email. I went through the recruiter because she was the only one who bothered to communicate with me, and was the one who finally got the MN DM to get in touch with me at all. That happened because she forwarded the email I sent asking for help not only to the MN DM, but to a few other people as well.

It's not like they didn't know.

Kris...in Luck, WI
Go to Top of Page

MikeRMO

MO
USA
37 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  3:25:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am hopeful of some good information from any Spar full time employees,
or knowledge of this position, listed on NARMS:
"Team Leads & Assistant Coordinators Needed Today"

It says must be available 6 days a week 10 hour days.
Can anyone share with me what this position might pay
and if it is a salary position. They want a "road warrior"

Appreciate any feedback here or at my email.
Thank You, Mike in MO

Mike
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  4:52:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm not a road warrior, but I do get some emails from one. Usually it's a reminder that certain work is due.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  6:21:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Don't quote me on this as I do not know from experience, but I hear that SPAR's wages are akin to Driveline's and therefore very low in comparison to other companies.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 68 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums