Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 68

TinaKing
Star Contributor

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  8:55:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do feel Spar's pay is much lower than other companies I have worked overnight jobs with. They seem to pay really low in my area. Is this typical with others working with spar?

Tina
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  10:31:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've worked for companies that pay more, but demand more, and some that pays less, but need less common sense.

While the pay could be higher, we would have less work since the client wants to get the work done at the lowest rate.

I will say that I wished I could have known about assignments earlier (I worked with 1 company that gave you up to 1 month's notice) and direct deposit.

As far as supervisors, I can't ask for a better one than what I had.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  12:43:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just received an email stating that Spar has acquired MarketForce. Sure hope the pay is Spar rate, not Marketforce pay.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan B.
Star Contributor

Smyrna, Tennessee
USA
469 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  1:45:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got the email as well. How is SPAR to work for?

Jonathan B.
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
785 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  2:51:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Has anyone received a letter regarding a lawsuit against Spar? I got one yesterday from some attorney firm. It as to do with when Spar had everyone as a 1099 IC and not a W-4 employee.
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  3:15:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote

QUESTION: Besides F$, what stores does SPAR do work in these days?

quote:
Originally posted by MarlaB

Just received an email stating that Spar has acquired MarketForce. Sure hope the pay is Spar rate, not Marketforce pay.

Interesting, it's Marketforce that usually buys up other copmanies, not the other way around.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Sue

Has anyone received a letter regarding a lawsuit against Spar? I got one yesterday from some attorney firm. It as to do with when Spar had everyone as a 1099 IC and not a W-4 employee.

Spar has ads on Narms and they are advertising that they still hire IC/1099 workers, not W-4 employees.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  3:46:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I haven't received any communication regarding Spar and lawsuit.

as far as work, I've worked for many companies and quit many. Spar was my last company. I'd stayed with them except for my life was getting too much for me to continue to work at all.

The work that I did was alot of dvd work. I worked in 4 Krogers, 1 KM, 1 OD, 1 staples, 1 TRU, 2 F$, 1 Shopko, CVS, WM. I was not the only rep in my town, the other rep had the other WMs and CVSs.

Yes you are an IC, they cover you with WC insurance for a small amount out of each check. You get paid every 2 weeks like clockwork (providing you worked during the pay period). The only thing that they didn't have was direct deposit.

I've had 4 supervisors over the 5 years and only 1 district manager. Actually 2 of my supervisors went on to be district managers after working with my region.

I recommend Spar, they may not be the highest paying company, but definitely pay more than Certified/MarketForce (I've worked for them also). I'll go back to them after my life settles down.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  4:44:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'll be looking for it, just haven't received anything yet.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

WendyG
Star Contributor

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  6:11:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had been offered an IC position to service pharmaceuticals. I had mixed feelings about what this WC (Workmans Comp) premium was for on a Independent Contract agreement. I can tell you I did my own research and refused to allow them to take it out, so they would not contract with me.
Any one who has been paying on the premium for any length of time should ask these 2 questions. Have they ever heard of a rep being able to make a claim against it that their own state laws would allow? 2nd-- Is SPAR getting some type of incentive or kickback to sell (require) these policies to the Independent Contractors? Keep in mind, 2.5% annual wages for 5-7 years can be a lot. What if you paid $2500 in the last 7 years and find out you were paying it for unlawful coverage you could never collect on?

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  05:40:28 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Your WC number is low. Ever since I started at SPAR, I have been taxed 3.0 percent of gross pay for WC. I have been blessed not to need to apply for it. While I am not happy about the deduction, it is a cost of doing business with/for SPAR.
While the SPAR pay is below market, they make up for it with (usually) a steady work supply.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  05:55:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff68005

Your WC number is low. Ever since I started at SPAR, I have been taxed 3.0 percent of gross pay for WC. I have been blessed not to need to apply for it. While I am not happy about the deduction, it is a cost of doing business with/for SPAR.
While the SPAR pay is below market, they make up for it with (usually) a steady work supply.

I know nothing about Worker's Comp, however, it seems strange to me that any IC is eligible for WC. I wonder if in fact this is not regular WC and is instead some sort of private injury insurance they require you to buy through them.

Sounds to me like Spar really needs to drop this whole IC thing and start hiring everyone as employees. I can see how they are walking a thin line here.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  06:05:35 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
http://investors.sparinc.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=749464

See the above for the SPAR press release. As I read it, SPAR only acquired specific portions of Market Force. How the deal with affect those in the field, it's way too early to tell.
Historically, SPAR has kept most acquisitions as separate divisions. I can't see that holding fully true in this case since there are a some clients serviced by both outfits.
I have been an IC for Market Force. Besides the very low pay scale at Market Force, I dropped them due to the difficulties filing reports on line. I have not had such reporting issues at SPAR.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  2:15:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you have your own WC insurance, then they do not take. You have to keep the coverage up-to-date and a copy to them. What they take is so little that you don't hardly notice.

From what I was just emailed, if you are a Marketforce person and on a regular assignment, you shouldn't see a difference. Otherwise you'll need to work with your DM.

Spar has had this WC for several years. I'd never had a claim, so I can't say how well it works. But I do know that WC only covers if you're off for at least 7 days, then if you're off 21 days, they go back and pay for the first 7 days. This was from Indiana and Flordia.

According to the email that I received, they acquired the merchandising and auditing divisions, which of course would not include the mystery shopping division. I believe that us Spar reps will continue with our territories and just add the extra work unless it was formerly covered by a MarketForce person on a regular basis.

I gave up my territory just recently, but still would recommend anyone that wants regularly paid work to sign on. Over 5 years, only 1 paycheck was late and in that case we were informed that it would be a few days late. Never any pay issues.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  7:06:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I started with Spar 15 years ago,they were an employee company. Then in the early 2000's them and several other companies went from employee to IC. At the time I was working for 3 other companies that changed from you being an employee to an IC. I don't remember anymore what the reason was. I worked for another company that took out for WC, so spar isn't the only one.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan B.
Star Contributor

Smyrna, Tennessee
USA
469 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  8:42:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
So I got an email from whom I guess will be my DM, welcoming me over from MFI. It had a link and login info to get started. Went to electronically sign the IC agreement and for some reason the website kicked me out. Tried to log back in and it keeps saying "invalid password." I replied to the email from the DM explaining what happened. Is that the right person to contact or should I contact someone else?

Jonathan B.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  9:37:37 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard !! You did EXACTLY the right thing. All that is handled by your DM. If you call the central support line, they will tell you to do exactly as you have done.

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page

Greta
Valued Contributor

Waldorf, MD
USA
132 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  10:30:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Try signing in with your new password, the last 4 digits of your SSN.

The same thing happened to me but I remembered reading that a user ID would be generated and the password would be the last 4 digits of SSN.

The user id is the same as the one they gave you but the password changed.
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  08:22:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Same thing happened to me last night.
Kinda unnerving when my very first interaction with Spar results in error pages and lockouts!
Could have advised us of this.... Hope this stuff is not the norm with Spar.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  10:45:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Could be just the huge amount of new reps signing on at same time. I've never had any problems.

Definitely try the last 4 of SSN, if that doesn't work, contact supervisor or DM.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

TerryCorsello
Contributor

Rochester Hills, Mi
USA
81 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  2:04:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
what kind of jobs are there? are they self assign?

Silver Certified in Rochester Hills, Mi... I Love audits!! Send me more!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 68 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums