Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 68

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  3:52:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No, jobs are not self assign. They are assigned to you.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan B.
Star Contributor

Smyrna, Tennessee
USA
469 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  10:57:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Got logged in finally. Reveiwed the new merchandiser handbook that they had online. SPAR's system sure will take some getting used to, but I think I will like it once I get the hang of it all.

Jonathan B.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  05:55:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's not as hard as some others. I went from Certified to Spar and after the first 1-2 it became a piece of cake. It photos are required, when you enter the job info, it will automatically jump to photo, otherwise, enter photo first.

Also, if you are assigned to job (not covering for someone else), when you get to the screen where you enter the job info, there is a button off to the side (think it says something like, Get Jobs), click on it and all of the jobs that are open will show up. Click on the job you want to enter.

Hope this helps

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  09:59:36 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
To our new team mates, welcome. Some of you are asking yourselves what SPAR can offer you. I recommend you review the eknowledge link about three boxes down after you get logged in. It will give you an idea of clients and stores SPAR has been in for quite a while. There are jobs you will easily recognize as both SPAR and MF worked for the same client. SPAR has clients you most likely never hear of. Even so, I recommend you review the information and if you are of a mind to do so take the test. (not required for all jobs). Taking the tests will not get you paid for passing the test, but will show your DM some of your interest in those jobs.
SPAR does not wait for a phone call from someone expecting to negociate a higher fee. That was one of my best tricks at MF, but not at SPAR. That said, I know some MF agents who did that on hard to fill routes. Discuss that with your new District Manager. Let you DM know what you did on a regular basis. SPAR is very good about making a given store "yours" and when something comes up in that particular store, you will be assigned to it even if it was not a client you serviced in that store previously.
IF you are willing to travel sometimes when the pay is right, consider SPAR "GO Team" or McKesson divisions. Your new DM has the ability to discuss those opportunities with you. The nice thing about SPAR is DMs can now help you look for opportunities across those other divisions. That is a fairly recent new development at SPAR.
Are you handy with tools and furniture? SPAR's NAS In-Home Furniture division will love you. The "GO Team" will appreciate that also. Not all the furniture is in homes. You can possibly get a regular run at setting furniture samples in STAPLES and similar businesses.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

JohnWMcDill

Independence, KS
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  01:41:40 AM  Send JohnWMcDill an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LarryT

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff68005

Your WC number is low. Ever since I started at SPAR, I have been taxed 3.0 percent of gross pay for WC. I have been blessed not to need to apply for it. While I am not happy about the deduction, it is a cost of doing business with/for SPAR.
While the SPAR pay is below market, they make up for it with (usually) a steady work supply.

I know nothing about Worker's Comp, however, it seems strange to me that any IC is eligible for WC. I wonder if in fact this is not regular WC and is instead some sort of private injury insurance they require you to buy through them.

Sounds to me like Spar really needs to drop this whole IC thing and start hiring everyone as employees. I can see how they are walking a thin line here.

All working as an employee does.. is manage to up my income rates.
If a company doesn't hire as an IC, its not worth my time.

Shopping Independence, Coffeyville, Cherryvale, Caney, Neodesha, Parsons (all in KS). Also, Dewey & Bartlesville,OK. Also looking for merchandising , auditing(digital and non) in these areas.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  06:33:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
John, I agree that being an employee is just a 'job', but working as an IC (while I have to pay my own taxes) there is more flexible hours and I can/will choose when I work within a window of time.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
785 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  10:45:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarlaB

John, I agree that being an employee is just a 'job', but working as an IC (while I have to pay my own taxes) there is more flexible hours and I can/will choose when I work within a window of time.

Marla are you still doing any merch work currently? I thought you had stopped working all retail jobs/quit all the companies you were working for and were just going to school, etc.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  11:41:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am not currently working, will receive my last check Monday. I'm still 'on call' with one company and watching what else might work. Still in school, 2 classes in class and 2 classes online. Still doing the market thing somewhat, it's time to really gear up for that, if the snow ever disappears.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2013 :  08:10:11 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Heads Up !! Some MF Sony jobs landed in my lap this week. In order to use the HH, you will be required to get an electronic signature on the HH or the job will NOT complete. I have no intention of doing this job by hand.

Up to now, in my limited experience, the electronic signture was something they were putting in some jobs as desired, but not required.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2013 :  11:13:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jeff, if those MF sony jobs are anything like they used to be, they will be a pain. Main reason for signature is that the managers that I used to work for couldn't remember if someone was in the store or not, they would just inform whoever called to check that NOBODY had been in store for months. My KM was getting that way, 1 main reason to give up.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2013 :  6:14:59 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Intex Walmart Endcap Set up
Don't bother to print the setup instructions from your assignment (Merchandiser Contract/Jobs-Contract/Job related materials) screen. Better quality in color copies are included in the kit shipped by the client. There is a box inside the box with the batteries, etc. The color printed instructions are in there.
====
UPDATE: The message board verifies the boxes are to be left at the store with a request the store save them for return of the electonics at the end of the promotion.

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page

Ellinbeth
Valued Contributor

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  05:30:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
After several years of doing the Sony DVD jobs for MF, I tried to take the SPAR test for Kroger Central and failed them! As far as I could tell, some of the answers in the quiz were nowhere to be found in the training materials.

So far I've had some conference calls with SPAR for training, but no actual job assignments. I hope this is just because it's difficult to transition...

Ellinbeth
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  05:45:51 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Please reach out to your SPAR District Manager. It is their job to assist you in such situations as you describe.
MF jobs are being assigned. I have four MF/Sony jobs (I declined one other MF/Sony job for distance), four health club poster jobs, two Accent Health (DVD to doctor offices) jobs this week. This is in addition to my regular SPAR jobs. Odds are those jobs have been coded as mine when they come up again.
Once your DM knows which jobs you have been doing regularly, there is a very good chance you can depend on that work. SPAR DMs do have a software to indicate which jobs are yours by store and then the system will autoassign them to you if so coded by the DM. If something else comes up in that store, odds are you will be assigned that work also. The jobs that do not have that code are assigned by the DMs.

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  06:24:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
After starting with Certified (now Marketforce) then hiring on with Spar over 5 years ago, I can relate with all the new MF Spar reps. Yes it will be different, Spar requires much more merchandising knowledge than MF did. Spar is one of the easiest merchandising companies to work with. Unforunately, I've seen several reps of different companies that really never had the training or skills to be reps.

Also Spar has had reps in most areas before including the MF. I happen to know that MF hired many reps for the same area and then expected them to fight for the jobs. Spar is NOT that way. Once you are determined to be a skilled experienced rep for Spar, you will be given new stores that had not been assigned to any other Spar rep. In my town/area, there were a maximum of 3 Spar reps at any time (1 after I left) and at least 10 MF reps. Unfornately there is only enough work for maybe 2-3 reps, which will leave 7-9 reps without work.

Definitely get in touch with your Spar supervisor and explain that you DO have the experience and ask them to give you a chance. This person is a real person that you can TALK to instead just by email.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Ellinbeth
Valued Contributor

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  10:52:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jeff and Marla. I HAVE reached out to the local manager via e-mail. Not doing much good. So at this point, I do see that my previous Sony jobs have transferred. I received return labels. And that's all I know. (I don't even know whether the new Sony jobs will pay the same!)

Ellinbeth
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  11:26:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ellinbeth, you should have been given your pay rate when you filled out your paperwork. I've found that Spar always paid more than Certified/Marketforce's regular pay. In my case, it was $1 more or more depending how terrible Certified's pay was.

Be sure to try to keep within the time limits, BUT if you go over be sure to document the reason why and how much with an email to your supervisor or DM.

I really doubt if the MF Sony jobs will be completely done within the normal time limit, especially if you clean the fixture (dust and such). My experience with MF's stores was that since the stores' weren't serviced on a regular basis, they were disasters.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  7:29:57 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Changing the topic for a moment, I was assigned one of the MF/Sony jobs on Monday. It was not in my Handheld (HH) even after uploading Monday evening.
I sometimes use the SPAR Android cell phone APP. I have seen a item in that App allowing me to add jobs. I never understood it before. I was able to use that feature to add the job to my cell phone app and report it via my cell phone. That was a great thing since the MF/Sony jobs require electonic signature. With this move, I was able to comply.

IMO, this feature has not been explained well nor how to make good use of it.

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  9:27:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Heard from my rep after I sent an email. Her concern was that I was paid too much (perm rates, travel) by Criny... Spar preferred not to pay those rates. Heard nothing else from her yet.
Worrying that I may have been passed over due to this. Told her that local jobs I could do for base rates. Did not have to travel so far, unless she authorized it.
Guess time for a call.
Go to Top of Page

AngelaN
Valued Contributor

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  12:27:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have received a few of the Sony jobs but I sure am confused by their pay rate system. It was my understanding that I was hired at a fixed "rate" but each of these jobs comes thru as project work with a totally different rate in the description - ie: usually much lower then my sign on rate - but then there were a few that were bonused. I am so confused.

So far I haven't been paid for anything (finally got a project after about 2+ months of waiting)so I don't know how it will wash out.

So, what should happen here is if you take a job from them and it is one hour, you should receive the rate you were hired at,no matter what the "rate" states on the job. Is that right ?
Go to Top of Page

Larry Estep

Rantoul, IL
USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  02:20:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wish SPAR's system allowed you to see what stores you are permanently assigned to. I have had little luck so far having a coherent conversation with my DMM. It seems a little disorganized, honestly, and isn't leaving a good first impression.

I also heard about the people who were getting paid too much by Market Force. Problem was I was often begged to take rural locations for a bonus, and from what I am now hearing the $20 or so bonus I would get for some places an hour or more away one way was on the low scale.

I am hoping that I see more organization from Spar down the road, but right now it seems pretty messed up.

Larry
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 68 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums