Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 68

Heather_NW
Trainee

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  4:25:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have worked for Spar for years. I had the same DM until the recent reorganization of districts, with the additional projects from the Marketforce merge, caused a change of DMs. She was always wonderful - I could count on fast, personalized responses by phone or email. I miss her! I am getting used to the new DM.

Over the years, the paycheck was only late 4 times. When I inquired, each time the checks had been mailed and the assumption was a problem at the post office. The late checks arrived approx a week late.

Printing: hopefully folks are using draft mode instead of high quality, and black only unless color is necessary. Likewise, some documents can we kept week to week and save on the number of pages going through the printer. Be sure to use the correct button (at the top of the screen) to get credit for printing that document. Questions on the button, ask your DM.

DVD service: I have taken care of DVDs for all my years with Spar. Each project has an allotted time allowed. On standard weekly service visits, time is not usually a problem ... an hour is enough. During changeout weeks, visits including returns and inventory counts, it is not uncommon to go over the time. However, I have never had a problem getting paid for the time. Just be sure to explain in detail what caused you to go over. "During the __ hours, I did ... and had a problem with ___."

Spar is a favorite company to work for!

Heather
merchandising in the NW
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  5:23:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was informed no one is deducting anything from my check due to "I do not own my own business."

Nick, please check on this. Doesn't sound right.

Spar reimburses for miles over 60.. pays for copies made and conference calls.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  05:36:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I really like the support and the jobs are easy too. I love the F$ magazine service. Pay is great and so is mileage. I am happy with Spar and have wanted to work for them for years.

I am off to work today. Woohoo!
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  2:15:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Since I only quit working for Spar in March of THIS year, and worked for them for the previous 5 years, I'll give me opinion.

I've only had ONE check delayed and was notified about it, I received it 3 days late. Yes they pay every 2 weeks like clockwork.

I've never had a problem with getting time worked when I went OVER, just needed to RTS it, never had anyone question my reasons. 98% of the time, the allowed time was adequate to do the job, exceptions of some really messy stores.

I had a WONDERFUL DM. I had 4 different supervisors, 2 became DMs later.

I never received mileage unless it was outside of my assigned territory. She did make sure that I got some extra when I asked due to extra distance.

Yes, they may not pay the most, but I believe they pay adequately for most locations. Exceptions might be the higher cost of living areas. I don't see how anyone can live there, IMHO.

I would still be working for them if my health would allow. When and IF, I could physically do the work again, they would be the FIRST company that I would rehire with.

ONLY downside, lack of direct deposit.

WC is normal business expense and any company that hires employees MUST cover it, so to be it's definitely a bonus to be covered in case of accident on the job.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  2:36:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think the pay is great. To get more than $10 to do a service at F$ for 20 minutes of work is great to me!! I also have noticed that some people post things abt companies that I do not agree with. We all have something different to say. Not everyone thinks alike and I am so thankful for that. I am thankful I work for Spar!!

Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
781 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  2:48:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MCBarb

I think the pay is great. To get more than $10 to do a service at F$ for 20 minutes of work is great to me!! I also have noticed that some people post things abt companies that I do not agree with. We all have something different to say. Not everyone thinks alike and I am so thankful for that. I am thankful I work for Spar!!

You have to realize too, that not everyone's experience with the same company is alike.

What Supervisors/Managers you have makes a huge difference.They are not all wonderful, supportive, good communicators and competent.

The type of work you are given, the compensation for that work, how valued you feel/are treated, the communication and support or lack thereof, that you receive, all plays a role in your experience. How policies are carried out in different areas may be different also. What is good for some is not so good for others. Plus things can change. The job may start out as fine and you may really like it, but and over time it deteriorates because of changes of Supervisors, lack of communication, bad or inadequate directions, less organization at the company level, more demands, jobs being presented as one thing and turn out to be quite different, and lack of work or when a company loses a client(s), or starts to restrict your time while wanting more work in the new time frame, suddenly there is no more mileage and that policy changes, problems with payroll errors, they start breaking up the territories and there is less work to go around, and other such issues can and will all contribute to a negative experience with a company.

All of this can and will affect one's final experience with a company and one should be able to grasp and understand this. Their experience was/is the truth for them. Your experience which can be completely different, is the truth for you.

Everyone is positive and gung ho when they start a new job.....then reality sets in down the road and may be a different experience/outcome for someone else/others. It has nothing to do with being "negative" or "positve" or being in some "mood" either, it's just reality. It's not something to "agree" or "disagree" with either, it's simply the flip side of the same coin. One needs to accept and understand that because things are good for some employees with a certain company, they may not be so good for others. That does not make their opinions/experience less valuable or any less true.

Also, what one person considers "Great Pay" because they live in a rural area or a different area in the country where the cost of living is much lower, does not correlate to another person living in a large city and in a different part of the country where the cost of living is much higher. Or someone may have a spouse who is helping with the bills and expenses and another person may be soley on their own trying to eek out a living. Big difference. Also doing a very good job for years and never getting any sort of raise or if you do, it's pathetically tiny and not even noticeable, does not help one's atttitude/situation.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  3:35:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
As a business owner, we should carry WC, but many DO NOT. Of course, if you have unlimited funds to pay for your injuries that might occur, then you don't need to have WC. It's insurance after all. I believe that ALL companies need to be REQUIRED to carry WC insurance, and as being our own bosses, we are the same as the big companies.

My husband's company didn't carry any, the boss said 'he'd take care of it'. Lucky for hubby, he was never seriously hurt or disabled on any job. I wonder if the 'boss' would have continued to 'take care of him' if he would have been permanently disabled????

Personally, I don't have health insurance, never really did. But I also can't afford to go to the hospital if I got hurt. I guess beginning in 2014, I'll have to get something. Don't how where I'll have to squeeze that money out of. Not disabled enough to draw anything.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  5:25:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Marla, I am with you on that WC.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  05:34:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Conference call for Spar last night was very informative and will be paid. Lasted 30 minutes and they went over all paperwork.
Go to Top of Page

Nick_S
Valued Contributor

Los Angeles, California
USA
166 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  08:19:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I want to thank Everyone for all of their candid feedback to my questions. I greatly appreciate it, as it is very informative and educational. There certainly seems to be a lot of PROS and CONS expressed about this company. Yet what you all have provided, gives me a lot of food for thought before taking my next step.

I wish everyone the best of luck . . . good luck to the ones that like SPAR and good luck to the ones that moved on to greener pastures with other merchandising companies. As that old saying goes . . . Do what you love. :-)

I also send a special thank you for those of you that provided such nice and detailed feedback. It certainly was very, very educational and I so appreciate you taking the time to write as much that you did, to share it with me. :-)

On a side note, does SPAR do any other ongoing regular merchandising work? It seems like the majority of their current work is just DVDs restocking + returns + re-sets, and sometimes doing magazine credits.

Nick
Go to Top of Page

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  1:25:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I came over from Marketforce to Spar. Personally, I am glad I never complained about MF because I got a lot of work from them with virtually no problems. I waited awhile before I contacted Spar about work and it seems to be like pulling teeth to get them to assign you anything more than 2 miles from your home. You would have thought if they were buying a company they'd have gotten things straightened out long before this. I think I'm probably going to lose work that I used to have regularly. I guess we'll forge ahead and hope for the best.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  3:11:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Nick, the dvds that I did with Spar was ongoing regular work, not like what MF had, even if it was with the same studio. They also work with several different clients. I consistently had weekly work, with more work during certain weeks.

April, within 2 miles, the next store of any kind is 12 miles away for me. Within 2 miles is less than 5 neighbors.

With Spar taking over ALL of MF reps, which they had many many more reps than was needed (IMO, to keep people fighting for work), I'm not surprised that there will be some difficulties. I know most MF reps that I know, only worked on the bonus work. I also expect several reps that 'came over' will not stick it out. I've went thru several fellow reps that didn't make the cut. Good thing, also, because they weren't merchandising material.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Nick_S
Valued Contributor

Los Angeles, California
USA
166 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  4:12:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you April for sharing. I do hope all works out well for you.

Thank you very much MarlaB, I appreciate you sharing more about your experiences.

It is nice to get this candid and most helpful feedback. Thanks much. :-)

Nick
Go to Top of Page

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  05:19:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Actually, I was kidding about the 2 miles. I live a in rural area and have told them several times I would travel within a reasonable distance, but it seems like anything I would deem reasonable they keep putting me off. I guess I must have been lucky with MF, I never had to fight for work.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  05:55:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I started out in this business, I wasn't sure where or what to do, what companies to try and which ones to stay far far away. After I found this forum and ALL the helpful people with the positive and negative comments, it was so much easier to decide. After I felt more confident in what I knew, I would try a few 'new on the market' companies.

I'm more than glad to be able to help others with my experiences for as long I'm able.

As others have said, the companies that you work for as only as good as the supervisors and DMs that you have. I happen to know that there are a few DMs that follow this forum. Some don't like what's said and will try to correct things, others will take it out on the rep. The latter need to have some managerial training.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  06:03:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do not make business decisions based on what people here say. I make up my own mind. Sometimes people post bad things abt a company cuz they are in a bad mood etc. I do value this forum a LOT. I have gotten important info here for sure.

This is the Spar thread and so back to Spar talk. I do not work for the pharmacy division but I do work for the others. That pharmacy work was definitely not for me.
Go to Top of Page

Nick_S
Valued Contributor

Los Angeles, California
USA
166 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  08:14:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the great additional feedback April, MarlaB, and MCBarb. I appreciate it very much. :-)

Nick
Go to Top of Page

AngelaN
Valued Contributor

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  09:28:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This forum confuses me.

Right now it says the most recent post is by Big Sue (June 2nd) but it isn't there. I keep refreshing/reloading the page or backing out and starting over but there are no posts showing for today's date.

Why does that happen?
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
781 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  09:34:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelaN

This forum confuses me.

Right now it says the most recent post is by Big Sue (June 2nd) but it isn't there. I keep refreshing/reloading the page or backing out and starting over but there are no posts showing for today's date.

Why does that happen?

If you edit one of your posts (I just added a few more ideas and had the time to expound a bit to my post above for example) it then shows you as the last poster even though you aren't.(it's the forum software that he is using and perhaps the settings) Then I think the owner also bumps up very old out of date threads from time to time where there has been no activity and with no new comments you wonder why the heck that thread is suddenly there after years of no comments. lol Seen that often. So yes, it can be confusing.
Go to Top of Page

AngelaN
Valued Contributor

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  4:54:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sue, that explains it. You did post something, it just wasn't a "new" post at the end of the thread.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 68 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums