Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 68

Patti1999
Trainee

NC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  4:22:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm new here and hoping to understand some things about merchandising. One immediate question I have: I worked at Walgreens and ended up having a fall and on W.C. for years. Now I want to get back to doing merchandising but not sure if I will have a problem with companies not wanting me to work for them. Are these merchandising jobs done as an I.C. or are the people only hired?
Go to Top of Page

MariaMia
Star Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  08:51:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My best advice to you is to read all the old threads so youre familiar with the companies. Merchandising has changed so much since I started ages ago. Be careful who you sign up with and I dont know the story surrounding the WC but you need to be aware that some jobs you may not want to do. Educate yourself with what is in your area.. Good luck from Mia
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  06:14:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Spar is IC, so you can claim your miles.
Go to Top of Page

Patti1999
Trainee

NC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  11:58:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
But how does someone find out about the companies in my area and about the companies as well. I do see comments about some of them in this forum. I see good and bad-like SPAR. Do most merchandising positions required you to be hired instead of doing as IC? Is SPAR the only one using IC's? Other question I have reqarding Workmans Comp---Will a company hire me or be afraid that I will end up falling again. If only they knew all the trouble I went thru--I will do anything to be sure I do not end up with an injury ever again! Is there any other forums or places where I can learn who to sign up with and who not, or is it just trial and error and time.
Go to Top of Page

Laura_In_Az
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
307 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  3:37:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I know nothing about workmen's comp and injuries while working. For my 2 cents...no company I have been hired by as an employee, over the last year, has asked questions about workmen's comp and injuries. I do not know if they checked somewhere, however.
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  8:16:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In IC world Patti, each merchandiser/mystery shopper is considered to be his/her own little business, and therefore responsible for all business expenses him/herself; like transportation office supplies and INSURANCE- auto, personal, AND liability.
Spar is one who charges each IC a little every paycheck for insurance- WComp and liability. Both, in my opinion, are worthless to the IC, but protect the company and clients from loss due to injury or damage.
Many of us doing this work have maladies or injuries that prohibit us from doing more strenuous work. I've never been declined work due to my maladies.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  1:05:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Patti, apply and see. If the fall wasn't your fault, it should not be held against you.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
514 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  3:51:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In CA workmans comp is paid by the employer if you were hired in CA as an employee (W2), if you are IC then workmans comp is your resposibility,...BUT... CA is going away from IC work and very few companies are hiring ICs, oe of the problems we are running into, most of the companies that do hire ICs in CA run the risk of pretty big penalties from my understanding, we have had companies contact us and check to see if we are insured.

HubbyZ

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
395 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  5:13:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Patti1999, DO NOT say anything about your past workmen's comp situation. I have had a couple of companies drop me when I said I had to be careful of an injury while working with a previous employer. Even though you are cleared for work, prospective employers will look at this as a possible liability, as many people have been known to pull this stunt. And we all know that no employer discriminates. LOL. Well, they say they don't. Good luck to you starting in merchandising. Check out the posts here. There are many good people on this site who are glad to assist. Many have helped me.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  5:18:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Patti...as far as how merch companies hire, IC or employee, the answer is both. The larger companies tend to hire while many of the smaller ones tend to contract you as an IC. However, I have worked for larger companies that contract as IC and I have worked for small companies that hire as employee. It's just a mix of both. I even worked for a smaller company allowed me to choose whichever way I wanted to be hired.

As far as past WC claims, yes, prospective employers can find out if you files WC claims in the past with other emplyers when they do a background check on you (if they pay for the WC background check), but...

It doesn't really matter, though, and not worth really worrying about. If you need work, just apply to whatever companies have work in your area and see if they hire you. If they hire you, great. If not, move on to the next. My guess is that they will hire you (at least most of them) because most merchandising and retail service companies will hire anyone with a SSN and a pulse (no offense to you, of course). My guess would be that might check, though. I say this only becasue they are the only 3rd party merchandising copmany for which I was required to get a drug test. If they require drug tests, they probably also check for past WC claims as well. Just a guess, though. And if it's any consolation to you, I have never had a backround check done on me by a copmany that signed on as an IC. SO at the very least, you should be able to get with with an IC company if you can get work as an employee because of your WC history.

But like Robert said, never mention it to anyone. You will have to make up another story for the gap in your employment. "WC" is a four letter word.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan B.
Star Contributor

Smyrna, Tennessee
USA
469 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2014 :  6:53:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just a heads up, it appears that Sony is pulling out of Food Lion. On our visits next week, we have to return all product.

Jonathan B.
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  4:40:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anyone else having to wait 60-90 days for access to be paid?
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  6:56:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No. I get my access on each check. Maybe it is your DM holding it up, as they are the ones that send it in to payroll,each pay period.
Found that out from new DM that I got, when she sent out a ? asking everyone for their access info.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  07:22:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I see Spar is getting more work Driveline used to have. I think this project went from DL to Crossmark and now to Spar.
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  6:22:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They have a major reset in my area coming up that CPM used to do.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Dawn5515
Contributor

Zachary, Louisiana
USA
79 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  05:56:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is anyone doing the weekly balloon visits??? If so, care to share your thoughts??? I have been offered a couple of stores and am curious to hear others experiences.

Dawn
MSPA Silver Certified
Merchandising
Store Audits & Recalls
Mystery Shopping
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  09:48:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It probably partly depends on how your store is set up. Mine doesn't have those rack things, so getting them put up to look nice for display without looking crowded always takes more time than I expect it should. Blowing them up isn't a problem at all. Going through and picking out the soft ones, then trucking across the store into the back to reflate them, going to the invoice office and getting someone to open the door so I can retrieve fresh balloons, getting them blown up, trucked back out to the display area, and all hung up, can sometimes be a challenge to complete in the allotted hour. It is an easy job I like to do, but the steps frequently take longer than seems reasonable. It makes me smile every week, though, to be carting out all the new balloons and hear the kids (and some adults!) who gasp in wonderment at the sight.

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

Dawn5515
Contributor

Zachary, Louisiana
USA
79 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  10:32:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sandi! I don't think the stores I am going to do have the racks. I thought there where a lot of steps when I looked through the training material. So basically you get a new shipment in you blow those up then get the "funky" ones that were already blown up and re inflate those right???? The training materials were really vague about the ones already on display.

Dawn
MSPA Silver Certified
Merchandising
Store Audits & Recalls
Mystery Shopping
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  11:15:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There are a couple hundred that come in the box, so you won't be blowing them all up when a shipment comes in. Each package has 3 or 6 of each design (although there may be multiple packages of that design). I go in and go straight to what is already on display. I take down the ones that are looking soft and hook them on the buggy while I also glance through to see what has been sold the most that week (in my store, the generic birthdays and the Princess things sell best, but it probably varies depending on clientele of that particular store). I take them in the back to refill them and then also blow up some new ones to replace what sold. The goal is to keep a full and varied supply of balloons available for purchase. You're supposed to have 50+ out on the floor, and I usually aim for about 70; the area my store has allotted looks too cluttered if I go more than 85. That means I'm blowing up an average of 27-36 each week. Sometimes I don't have time for that many if they've sold a bunch so it stays a lower count that week and I make up for it the next week.

It also depends on the dept manager. When I did this for Certified, the lady who was mgr at the time would sometimes go get more and blow them up midweek if they had run low. That made my restock job easier. Unfortunately she would also throw away ones that had problems, so I was never able to accurately report scrap. The current dept mgr does not touch them no matter what happens to them, so I know which ones I had to toss but if it was a busy week, I also have a ton to restock.

You aren't supposed to refill any balloon more than twice, but if there are more than one of the same design, I have no idea how you are supposed to keep track of which ones have been refilled. If the strings look ratty or it doesn't hold the helium well anymore, I pop it and mark it scrapped. As long as it still looks in good condition, though, I refill it and put it back out.

The first time or two will get you over the learning curve. I don't think it is nearly as difficult as all the directions make it sound. Just expect it to take you the full hour.

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

Dawn5515
Contributor

Zachary, Louisiana
USA
79 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  2:15:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sandi,
You should rewrite the training materials...I learned more from your post than reading the materials 3 times. THANKS!!!!!

Dawn
MSPA Silver Certified
Merchandising
Store Audits & Recalls
Mystery Shopping
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 68 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums