Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 68

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  3:19:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I used to service the Anagram balloons at my local mart. The store was remodeled and the balloon pegs were cut from about 10 down to 5. They still wanted me to load up the store with at least 50-60 balloons, even though this store has 2 competitors side by side and probably sells 50 balloons in a year or so and in this hot weather they deflate almost overnight. I cannot understand why these companies don't use sales reports to figure out what the store needs to have instead of telling me "we know there aren't going to be many sales, but we need to have at least 50 balloons in store." When I worked in produce distribution we run a top 100 sales report every week. I don't do these balloons anymore because I get in between the store personnel griping and the company that insists on overloading the store. I had the same problem with ATA and their novelties. This balloon job was a fill in and it was kind of fun. too bad.
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  4:19:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did the balloons for another company before Spar got them. I had one store that quit selling them. The store manager said the helium was costing the store too much money.and also they sold less then 30 balloons in a week. There is a $tree about a block away. The merchandising company kept scheduling that store every week, and I kept telling them, they no longer sell balloons.
Yet they insisted I had to go in regardless. After 5months of it, they finally got the message and quit sending me in.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  12:20:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MaryNY

Driveline gave up the Family$ accounts because they picked up $General.

MaryNY, I find that interesting that they gave up the accounts. Driveline has always had F$ and DG in my area. They both have had work for years now but now F$ is going with Spar. I wonder what happened and why they did this. I am getting a LOT of work now.... greeting cards every week. Sweet!!~
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2016 :  2:22:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was told at a store that DL lost the contract with F$ so Spar is taking over at F$'s. I quit DL when they would not give me a raise. $8.52 is not enough to do their heavy resets.
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2016 :  3:37:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The F$ contract was most likely up and Spar was the lowest bidder for the new contract.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2016 :  2:38:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sue A

The F$ contract was most likely up and Spar was the lowest bidder for the new contract.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. That and they probably showed F$ that they had a better labor pool and with a frequent rate of new hires. Companies look for that.

If you don't have a decent labor pool, you can't meet the deadlines. This is why merchandising companies are always hiring new merchandisers even when there isn't much work. They need to keep their labor pool high to keep/win contracts and to be able to staff team resets that come along. They don't care about quality, just quantity.

Anyone with a pulse. That's the motto of most merchandising HR departments.
Go to Top of Page

SusanSG
Contributor

AL
USA
56 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2016 :  5:52:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
F$ managers have told me there had been a lot of complaints about DL not doing the work, doing it wrong, etc. A DG manager told me that DG made DL give up F$ as a conflict of interest. I guess they like to put their own spin on things.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  08:20:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It would make sense in regards to conflict of interest. Dollar General and Family Dollar are fighting for the same customers.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  09:22:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am so happy doing these projects.... I love doing greeting cards and gift bags!! I get a travel fee weekly for these jobs. I am using the money to do shops... so I can make more money. I need a car. My car has 230,000+ miles.
Go to Top of Page

Cathy008

OH
USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  3:16:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Driveline signed a long term contract with DG, and agreed to stop servicing all other dollar type stores to get it. The announcement was on their home page. With Dollar Tree buying FD a couple of years ago, the number of FD locations has decreased in some markets.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  06:50:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Cathy008, yes they did. Thanks for the info. I just read that... interesting.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2016 :  05:59:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I miss Spar. I was with them for 5 years until I couldn't get up and down. Now with better medication, I'm doing better, but there isn't any work left in my area.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2016 :  2:57:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Marla, if I were you I would sign up again!! Now Spar has all Driveline's jobs and they are pretty busy >>> they are hiring. You GO Girl!!
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2016 :  4:38:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
After not having any work from them since March of this year. I finally got assigned a store starting next week, for 1 hour a week. at least it's only 2 miles down the road, otherwise I'd tell them forget it.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  10:01:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, I'm not sure what I want to do right now. We are thinking about getting an RV and traveling, when and where we want. that probably won't work with merchandising.

I'm getting very independent in my 'old' age.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  06:19:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Marla, happy travelling to you!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  07:06:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone work for Spar at F$'s and do the PS Greeting cards?
Go to Top of Page

LuptonInVirginia
Contributor

Virginia
USA
97 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  08:26:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I work for SPAR and I do the Family Dollars here.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2016 :  06:02:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I used to work for Hallmark. I love doing greeting cards!! This is a peachy job but the company does not send cards they need to all of the time. One of my store has had 28 empty pockets for a long time now. I called about it and they said it has to be a certain amount of time before they give me a project just to do the empty pockets. So they paid me $2.50 to write down the pockets and send them. I have done this again but they still haven't sent the cards for the empty pockets. I called for more Christmas cards and they said "an automatic shipment would go out the week of Dec. 2nd." Again no cards for any of my stores. I Love this job but really think they could do better. Mark, how are your stores doing with the cards?
Go to Top of Page

LuptonInVirginia
Contributor

Virginia
USA
97 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2016 :  9:10:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have multiple pockets that never get filled while there are multiple pockets that get cards every week, to the point the pockets are ready to burst. I've called P.S. Greetings in the past to fill empty pockets and what usually happens is I get a HUGE order the following week to fill and then those same pockets run out. It's kind of like....what's the point of calling them?

BTW, I work for Driveline too so I've done Family Dollar cards for a long time and it's no different now for Spar than what it was years ago. It's almost like P.S. Greetings sends random cards.

Mark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 68 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums