Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 68

AuditorRuss
Star Contributor

Vacaville, California
USA
308 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  2:07:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My wife just signed up with them and has her first two assignments next week. Since she merchandises full time this is great filler work for her. She is doing cosmetic resets and it has been awhile since she has done one. So any tips or tricks from other merchandisers who have done these resets in the past?

Thank you!

Russ
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  5:36:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I can't help, I do videos mostly for them. I have great support, if she asks they may have someone that has done them before that she can talk to, they did that for me.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

AuditorRuss
Star Contributor

Vacaville, California
USA
308 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  9:48:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for answering. My wife had some phone training yesterday so it is a little clearer. Waiting for a binder so that will answer any remaining questions I think.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

Melissa-Abbe
Contributor

Vancouver, WA
USA
73 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  04:39:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did some cosmetic resets for Spar a few months ago. Have her take a pad to kneel on; those floors get hard fast! Some people used those knee pads that you can strap on, but I preferred a flat square pad because I could sit on it, too. Cosmetic resets are very detailed and she'll be in one place for a long time.

I did the Maybelline set in all the stores that I was at. The fixturing for it is pretty easy to work with. Loreal wasn't bad, either. Every manufacturer has their own fixturing so it can get kind of confusing sometimes.

I got smart the second day and brought in a tool to get the labels off; I was ruining my nails before I did that. I used a tool called a "lil chizler" that worked brilliantly (google it; I bought mine at a local scrapbook store). I actually had 3, and people on my team were fighting over who could use my extras.

Good luck to her!

Melissa
Go to Top of Page

AuditorRuss
Star Contributor

Vacaville, California
USA
308 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  09:01:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you! I will pass all this along to her. It seems like it will be a simple Fall reset. The training mentioned her being in the store two or three hours and there are two stores.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

Melissa-Abbe
Contributor

Vancouver, WA
USA
73 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  7:46:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If it's a full-blown cosmetic reset she'll be in the stores for a lot more than 2-3 hours. We had a team of 4-5 people and we all worked 10-12 hour days for three weeks. The rest of the team actually worked for 2 weeks beyond that, but I was hired on with Advantage and had to start that job.

Melissa
Go to Top of Page

KatherineB

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  9:20:15 PM  Send KatherineB an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have one of these...It is in Kmart...the set isn't that big, only 1 cosmetic manufacturer. I think what Melissa is referring to is the major overhaul of the cosmetic department in one of the drug chains. Those were tough... these should be a little more manageable.
Go to Top of Page

AuditorRuss
Star Contributor

Vacaville, California
USA
308 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  2:45:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is only for one manufacturer. Her supervisor did mention some all day work coming up in September and October. Maybe those are the all day ones you are speaking of.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  3:31:51 PM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have the name and phone number for the district manager that would handle the Vermont area?

I was merchandising for another company in a big box retailer and we started talking. She asked if I was available for work in this area since she was looking for someone & wasn't able to find anyone.

I gave her my name, email & phone number and she said she'd call me Tuesday or Wednesday evening since my qualifications sounded great. I haven't heard back from her and want to follow up.

I applied on their site on 7/24 but she had never gotten my information from the main office. When I try to apply again all it tells me is that I have already applied.

Can anyone help so I can connect with her?

Thanks,

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Merchandising, Demonstrating and Shopping in Rutland County, Vermont and Eastern Washington County, New York!
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  2:53:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'll email you my supervisors name & number.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  05:06:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Question for those of you that have worked with Spar thru the Holiday Season. In the past, did they have alot of work come in during the holidays? I am trying to figure out if I can add any more companies to my schedule and still do my work well.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

TVaughn
Contributor

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  05:52:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Marla,

I don't remember there being an increase in the video work through the holiday.

Terri
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  06:08:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I should have just emailed you. I have other work besides the videos, Mead @ WM, supposedly CVS, haven't had anything besides putting some coupons on, in 4 of the 7 stores. An audit in WM for this weekend. I have signed up with others, now Spar is my lowest pay. I asked for a raise and found out that they do "annual reviews", I should have asked for more to start with, but who knew the gas price would jump like it did, or hours allotted change.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

LisaRosecora

Cleveland, OH
USA
25 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  11:08:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You got a raise from SPAR? I thought everyone was paid the same flat hourly rate.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  04:23:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was told that "when I was with them for a year, they would do an annual review". Did not promise a raise. When I hired on there was a window of pay rate, from xx1 to xx3, I got the lowest amount. I thought it was good, now I am making $2 more with all of my companies, except Certified. So NO, I did not get a raise, but I am still hoping.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Sue AC
Valued Contributor

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  7:38:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I get a pay raise every year with Spar, only a few cents, but it adds up.
What I do is a few days before my anniversary date, I email my DM with my hire date and ask about a pay raise. They review your record and I've also had them call my stores and talk to them, before I get a raise.My stores always give them rave reviews about me.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  1:27:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll put a reminder in my calendar, so that I don't forget to email my DMM.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

JessInOly

Olympia, WA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  10:01:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am wondering if any seasoned SPAR reps could answer a question for me. I have been working for SPAR for three weeks now and really love it, but I also have been given several more assignments from them just recently. It keeps me very busy, but it cuts out all my other jobs as I have something to do for SPAR every day it seems....I'm NOT complaining, but my question is, since we are IC's, and it states in our contracts we can accept or reject assignments, CAN WE? If there are jobs I don't want to do, do I have that option? Just wondering what your experiences are; I cetainly don't want to not do a job and then get terminated. (My workload was such last week I became very sick and still am)....hope you have some input for me! Thanx!

Jess
Go to Top of Page

KatherineB

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  11:08:57 AM  Send KatherineB an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Jess, Whenever my DM loads me with assignments, I ask her to "lighten up" Yes, according to our IC contracts, we are always given the option of not accepting assignments. She also has the right not to offer us work if she feels we are too overloaded. Mine had explained to me one time, that since she only has 1 rep in any given area, she automatically gives me what ever she has. When I thought about it, I saw that the only down side to asking for asignments not to be offered is that she may find someone who will do everything all the time (my thoughts not her telling me that) With SPAR, except for the ongoing video work, all the other piece assignments are not every week and I love when we have extras. Good Luck!!
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  1:55:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Until this time, I have not had a reason to refuse any work. When I hired on, there was a store quite a distance from me and I refused that one, but that was before I was actually hired. Now, I am beginning to get more work elsewhere that pays more, so I'm not sure if I can do much more. I don't like to work so hard, and then get sick because of it.

Marla
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 68 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums