KariK
Contributor

Minneapolis, MN
USA
86 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  3:18:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidKing

KariK, out of curiosity, can you tell me what where the types of shops you have done for Intellishop? Also, were your 12 reports long and required long narratives?

2 assisted living- pretty easy reports.
1 electronics- supposed to get a business card. When I asked for one, got a blank look. Need to do the report tonight.
1 oil change
2 phone eval
1 new car shop - lots of detail on report. Won't bother doing another one.
7 brake checks reports were easy, can do in my sleep now.
Edited to add that I didn't think reports were too bad. The brake check reports- you mostly need to comment why you picked "NO" as the answer.
I need to do the electronic report tonight. The sales person did not do well at all so it should be a pretty easy report to do. She told me basically nothing and I wasn't supposed to prompt her.
Go to Top of Page

KariK
Contributor

Minneapolis, MN
USA
86 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  3:27:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TinaMarie

quote:
Originally posted by Eric in Tampa

I'm convinced that one particular shop Intelli-shop has that requires a business card is a really a red alert for mystery shoppers. There is not one doggone business card in the entire store if you ask! And even if you do, the salesman's eyes just light up, as if "Mystery Shopper" is written on my forehead.

Whoa is me! This business card deal with these shops....Argggggghhhhhh!!!!

I'm curious. What type of business is this, without naming names. Retail or service? One time, I had to get a business card from a Wal-Mart employee. Hell-o???

I just did one of those. I asked for a business card and got a blank look.
She wrote her name on a slip of paper.
Go to Top of Page

DavidKing
Valued Contributor

Los Angeles, California
USA
107 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  1:40:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you KariK. I appreciate you sharing your shops with me.

The 2 assisted living shops I had, later turned out to be nightmare. As I stated before, both were phone shops that I spent almost 30 minutes on the phone for each shop. Then I had to complete a long and narrative report. I got points marked off, simple because I described my opinions of the telephone conversation I had with the representative. I did not say anything negative . . . it was mainly good and positive comments. Yet doing such detailed narratives got me in trouble. I mainly described the representative being nice, friendly, and empathetic . . . yet whoever reviewed my report, basically gave me a slap in the face and said that I needed to report on the “facts” of the conversation and not provide my opinions. GRRRRR!!! Yet again, they had the entire conversation on tape, why is it that they need a long and narrative report about the telephone conversation? I would think there would be no written report better than the actual entire recording of the conversation. If they would have transcribed the recording, PRESTO!, none of my opinions are in the report for them to submit to their customer. Again, the all of the other companies I have done telephone shops for either had no report or a report that took less than 3 minutes to complete . . . as they mainly just wanted to know the day and time the phone call was conducted, how long the telephone call lasted, and the name of the representative. The recorded telephone call WAS the report. That was it. Yet given the pay and what Intellishop ultimately wanted from me, I would never do another new auto or telephone shop for them again.

Yet based on your feedback Karik, I will try one of their oil change, and a brake shops. How detailed was your electronics shop?

In regards for shops that require a business card, usually if I figure they are not a shop geared-up to give out business cards, I skip doing them, since I know that some shops are very strict and require a business card, otherwise they will not pay. I think that any type of “chain” retail or grocery store or drug store is going to be hard to get a business card from them (i.e. Walmart, Macy’s, Kroger, Home Depot, Sears, Ikea, CVS). Yet normally I just wait until I am ready to leave and ask for a business card as an afterthought. Because too many times I have asked for a business card (at shops where they should be readily available) or a brochure (because it is a requirement of the shop), and that seems to be a tipoff that I am a mystery shopper and the representative seems to light-up like a Christmas tree and starts delivering me 5 star customer service.

David King
Go to Top of Page

Kathy C.
Valued Contributor

CA
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  6:34:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I work very little for the company these days. Love the schedulers, but the reporting forms are exceediningly long and redundant. Questions can range in the 100's for an automobile sales evaluation for which the pay has been lowered. Additionally, editing is slow and unusually brutal as compared to other companies......not just for auto shops, but even in the case of simple phone evaluations. Shoppers beware of the words "simple, quick or fun" here.
Go to Top of Page

Ellinbeth
Valued Contributor

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  7:00:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree, David, that reiterating what went on during the phone call seems entirely unnecessary when it's recorded. In mine, for the assisted living, I had to reveal at the end of it that I was a mystery shopper and I hated that!

Ellinbeth
Go to Top of Page

KariK
Contributor

Minneapolis, MN
USA
86 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  07:52:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I already got the electronic shop graded and no comment on the lack of business card.
I was docked a point because I used bullet points. I was showing that the sales person listed everything off the index card under the TV and that was the best way I knew to show it. The sales person really didn't know anything about the TV I was looking at. I could read the index card myself.

As for the report, it was pretty easy. I used a DVR so that helps with details.

Go to Top of Page

KariK
Contributor

Minneapolis, MN
USA
86 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  07:58:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
David- in one of my very first shops, I also was docked because I gave my opinion. They don't care what you think, just what happened. Now I don't bother with my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

DavidKing
Valued Contributor

Los Angeles, California
USA
107 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  1:18:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Kathy C., Ellinbeth, and KariK. I appreciated getting the helpful feedback.

Kathy C., I myself have noticed over the past 2 or so months, that some auto shops (for the various MS companies I have worked for), that some of them have lowered their fee as well. I wonder what gives?

Over the weekend, I saw that Intellishop has an open high-end luxury auto shop near me and they are paying $5 more than their normal auto shops. Reading the basic requirements, this shop has the same initial requirements as any auto shop (low-end, mid range, high-end), but unfortunately in addition to the basic requirements you would expect for an auto shop, they require: Your annual income has to be $60,000 or more, you must have a college level or greater education, and your extended shopper profile must match the first 2 requirements. Now with that being said: Would I be a Mystery Shopper if I was making $60,000+ per year doing another job!?!. Yet I must say, Intellishop is the most brutal I have worked for in regards to me writing long narratives and them marking my rating down because they did not like the narratives for one reason or another. GRRRRR!!! I will try their brake and oil change shops, and I will make a final decision on this company then. Yet if those reports end up being long and requiring long narratives, then I am just going to deactivate my account with them. The time, the stress trying to appease this company, and the poor pay is just not worth it in my book.

Ellinbeth, I have not done any reveal shops for any company as of yet. The only one’s I have seen in my area are for FF shops. Thus far, I am not ready to do shops where I have to be reimbursed, due to the 2 to 3 month wait to get paid and reimbursed. Yet your’s is the first one I had heard for a reveal shop for something like an assisted living shop. Several months ago, I seen a 2 part assisted living shop, where you had to telephone the company first and setup an appoint to view their facility. Then once you arrived at the facility, you had to covertly tape record the shop. The pay was very good, yet I wonder how long the report for such a shop would be, however since I do not have a tape recorder, I can’t do those shops as of yet. Yet if touring a facility and having to write up a long and detailed report, like I have heard about apartment shops, I am not sure if I want to do a shop like this, even with a tape recorder. If my MS work gets slow, I am going to try an apartment shop one day, yet I have been warned that apartment shops are not worth doing unless you make $45 or more dollars for it, due to the detailed reports that go with these shops. Yet all of the apartment shops I see in my area (by various MS companies), pay between $20 to $25. Yet just for experience, I would like to at least try an apartment shop once, to see how I fair.

KariK, thank you for the update on your report. I swear that they purposely look for ways to make sure that a shopper does not get or keep a 10 rating with them. Well I will remember to keep my opinion to myself when I do the brake and oil change shops. Yet I did find it irksome (regarding the assisted living phone shop) when they basically asked such questions as: Did you find the representative empathetic? Then when I replied: Yes, I found the representative empathetic. However if somebody asks your opinion, how in the world do you put it in a format to tell your perception of something? I would have been okay answering that question as a yes or no or maybe or N/A or other, BUT they required me to elaborate on that in the narrative . . . so it seemed that it would be very hard to write a narrative, the way they want, without describing the experience in my eyes. GRRRRR!!!

David King
Go to Top of Page

Eric in Tampa
Valued Contributor

Shopperville, FL
USA
193 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  7:07:24 PM  Visit Eric in Tampa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wish that I would have read David's post regarding the assisted living shops. I have my first one tomorrow, and just looking at all of the detail involved for just a phone shop (and very small fee) has me feeling somewhat remorseful. I will keep a positive attitude, nonetheless, that it will be a pretty good experience. I hardly do phone shops as it is.

Eric
MSPA Gold Certified, 2007; IMSC Certified, 2012 (Chicago), 2013 (Atlanta), 2015 (Las Vegas).
Undercover Essentials Video Certified, 2012 and owns PV-500 ECO. Nevada Work card (expires 2020).
Go to Top of Page

DavidKing
Valued Contributor

Los Angeles, California
USA
107 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  10:57:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Eric, I only did the Intellishop phone shops because I had done phone shops for other MS companies before, with no problem. Though the pay was low, however those phone shops I did for other companies were quick, easy, and they either had no report or the report that you had to complete took no more than 3 minutes to complete (from the beginning to the end). Yet all-in-all, since the phone calls for those shops were always less than 6 minutes and either had no report to complete or a 3 minute or less report to complete, it was easy money in the long run. Yet since I had never done an Intellishop phone shop before, I thought that they would be similar to the other phone shops I had done for the other companies. Yet I did not see how long the report was until each of the 2 shops were assigned to me. Had I known the report was going to be that long before I applied for the shop, I would have never put in a request to get the shop. Yet I know that you run a risk of getting black-balled with a MS company if you return a shop without doing it, for whatever reason. So that is why I went ahead and did them. So it took about 25 minutes to do the phone call of my first shop and it took about 20 minutes to do the phone call of my second shop. Then it took about 2 hours to do each report for each shop.

Bottom line, the shop is easy to do. If you use your selected scenario to do the telephone part of the shop, it is very easy to do, especially if you put yourself in the shoes of someone needing to hire assisted living care for a loved one.

The report itself is easy to complete, BUT it is very, very time consuming to provide the detailed narrative information that they want of the entire telephone conversation, for the low pay. Yet as long as you provide a good detailed narrative AND DON’T provide your personal opinion on anything, you should be fine. Just only write about the facts and nothing but the facts. Then you should be okay. Again, do not put in your personal opinion about anything in your report.

Good luck to you :-)

David King
Go to Top of Page

Kathy C.
Valued Contributor

CA
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  12:28:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Agreed. Tons of questions..... and then the extra time interfacing with overzealouls editors after the fact. Not worth the money for me.
Go to Top of Page

Eric in Tampa
Valued Contributor

Shopperville, FL
USA
193 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  5:21:02 PM  Visit Eric in Tampa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
@DavidKing. Thanks once again for your insight on this! I just finished the report and was fortunate enough to have had my call recorded via the 800# in order for me to review the reporting questions and answer them factually. It took about 40 minutes to complete the report thoroughly, as what you mentioned before. The call itself was about 15 minutes. I see where you were talking about when interjecting opinions. The final question asked for a description of the call. So easy to put an opinion, yet I just inputed the basic facts of the call.

All and all, not a bad phone shop. I really think it just depends on what Intelli-shop's clients are asking for. While I printed both the guidelines and report (11 pages each) out, the whole time I asked myself "What does the client really want?" with regard to the interaction. Some of Intelli-shop's prior clients had reports that asked 2-3 questions (without having the calls recorded) and paid more while others had reports that were just time consumed. Nothing complicated, but just time consuming, as you had mentioned correctly.

Overall, I'd work another phone shop for them yet am grateful that I now have the experience to be selective in knowing which ones to accept.

Eric
MSPA Gold Certified, 2007; IMSC Certified, 2012 (Chicago), 2013 (Atlanta), 2015 (Las Vegas).
Undercover Essentials Video Certified, 2012 and owns PV-500 ECO. Nevada Work card (expires 2020).
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  5:48:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
20+ pages of printing plus an hour to complete and report surely better pay more than most phone shops are priced.

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

Kathy C.
Valued Contributor

CA
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  6:07:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sandi,

I forgot to mention the 20 plus pages of printing.......practically an employment manual with the cost of ink? Ouch!
Go to Top of Page

DavidKing
Valued Contributor

Los Angeles, California
USA
107 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  7:10:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Eric, you are very welcome. I am glad that your shop worked out okay for you. I never printout the guidelines or the actual report myself, because I would amass a small library of printed out guidelines and reports for each shop I did. Plus it would cost a small fortune for paper, ink, and the wear-and-tear on my printer. I always just read the guidelines and the report online and write notes for specifics that I have to be aware of for doing both the shop and the report. So I usually just have a quarter to a half a page of written notes. Yet I save every completed & submitted report in PDF format, so I can use those completed reports for future reference for similar shops in the future, where I can use them regardless of the MS company I am doing a shop for. Saving those reports can be invaluable and a big time saver sometimes, when doing other similar shops for either the same company or another MS company.

I am glad that you made better time on actually writing your report than I did. I wish I could have done mine completely in 40 minutes, then I probably would not have been complaining about my shop. SMILE!!! Yet I wish there was a way to see ALL reports for ALL shops (from any MS company) BEFORE requesting a shop, that way I could better determine if I feel the pay vs. doing the shop and doing the report is worth it.

Congratulations, Eric. Good luck to you when you do future phone shops.

David King
Go to Top of Page

Netti
Valued Contributor

Hudson, FL
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  09:17:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've always been able to link to the final report that would be submitted and to review the questionnaire. Then, I set up Word and copy/paste the important critical issues for that scenario. I can make the fonts smaller and end up having no wasted space on the paper. It's a little effort to create but well worth it. Generally, I can complete it with one printout, this I consider my "cheat sheet".

As for the editing process, I learned long ago, give them what they want which is strictly, the facts. Once you over come the personal opinion portion of any shop, your scores will be higher because all that you are doing is creating more work for the editors who have to delete your unrequested "voice".

As for myself and Intelli, they are a pleasure to work with.

Silver Shopper - West Coast Florida
Go to Top of Page

SandiA
Star Contributor

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  09:35:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The only problem I have is that by the time I get paid for an oil change shop, I need another one!

SandiA
Celebrating 14 Years in the Biz!
MSPA Gold Certified since 2003
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  3:35:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SandiA

The only problem I have is that by the time I get paid for an oil change shop, I need another one!

That sounds like a good cycle.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

CherryT

Myrtle Beach, SC
USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  2:39:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm rather annoyed with them right now. They were begging for shoppers to do an oil change shop by the end of October. They even claimed it was okay for my make of automobile even though it was a dealership oil change.

Well ya'll guessed it. Of course it was a red flag when I drove up with my import vehicle and ask for an oil change. The guy looks and checks - they don't carry an oil filter that fits my car.

Today I received the official notice that they couldn't use my report because no oil change was performed. Plus - no pay for my wasted time and gas.

Cherry
Go to Top of Page

Kathy C.
Valued Contributor

CA
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  3:00:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Cherry,

I had a similar situation except that I called first and was told that they did not carry my filter. I contacted IS and was not paid. No harm, no foul. I do want to give them credit for paying me for a comic book store whereas the store went out of business and I was able to verify that. With the current cost of gasoline, I always call before I go.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums