Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  02:15:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am very disappointed with many shoppers that shop for this company. I can't believe the amount of desperate shoppers willing to pick up the 2 part assignment for $5 pay. Do you really need $5 that bad to do that much work/hassle? They are WAY UNDERPAYING for the amount of effort required. If you're really that hungry, go to Costco and get yourself a hot dog combo for $1.50 and skip the report. You can also get tasters inside while shopping. Everyone has their own agenda, but if we all agree to stop shopping for $5 pay, then they will have to raise the fee to something reasonable.

I will shop a fine dining establishment for no pay, but there is no way I would do these 2 part food shops for $5 pay. If we could only get everyone else on board!!!!

Micah
Go to Top of Page

KenASch
Star Contributor

Camarillo, CA
USA
689 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  09:54:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sorry to disappoint you Micah but I have done several of these and I am not desperate. If I'm going to be in the area doing other mystery shops, I have no problem picking one of these up for a free lunch or dinner. Yes, it's a two parter but the form is relatively easy to complete and I like the food at this fast food restaurant. I also like doing them in my home town and do not have a Costco nearby. They have increased the fee if the shop is on the board longer.

Ken S
Gold Shopper
Shopping Ventura County California
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  7:28:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My only point is that they should be paying more to begin with. By every grabbing them as quick as they can for the $5 fee, why should they pay more? You, along with others, are only giving them a good reason to continue to exploit us shoppers.

Everyone has their own price. However, I'm fortunate enough to have a nice salary and won't touch these for less than $15 pay. I get about 5-8 per month at the bonused rate.

$5 is not even worth it to me. That won't cover your medical co-pay when you get clogged arteries from eating this food.

If everyone would "lay-off" the $5 shops, then they would be forced to pay a more reasonable wage. This isn't a Cheesecake Factory or BJ's pizza where you look forward to eating at this place.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

Karen C
Contributor

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  3:39:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KarenS

A few previous posters have complained about the uneven scores and editor comments on IntelliShop reports. Here's my story.

I've received mostly 10s on my reports for IntelliShop with a few 9s. Lately it appears that every time one particular proofreader reviews my shops I will receive an 8 for "grammatical errors." I've saved a copy of these shops and had an editor at a book publisher review them. Neither of us could find any grammatical errors. (Full disclosure: In one of the reports one word should have been capitalized.)

So I wrote an email to IntelliShop asking for specific feedback so that I could improve my reporting. Here's the response I received, "Unfortunately, our proofreaders do not keep track of the corrections made, due to the extremely high volume of reports that are edited."

At this point I don't think it's my writing, I think it's variance by the proofreaders. It doesn't seem to affect my ability to get work so I'm not going to spend any more time trying to improve.

KarenS,

We have more in common than our names. Your scenario outlined above is virtually identical to mine. I have received all 10s for a long time; then suddenly, two 9s and now an 8. The 8 evaluation notes spelling, grammar and punctuation errors. It suggests I review my work before sending. I do all that. I, too, keep copies of my narratives in Word 2010. I reviewed the 9s and 8s and found no errors.

I graduated cum laude from a prestigious university; I taught a foreign language and English in high school for 12 years; after that I was a sought-after legal secretary at a high-powered law firm because of my writing and proofreading skills. What other credentials do I need?

I have written a polite email to the "proofreader" asking for details so I can improve my work.

We'll see what the response is. I hope, as you say, that these lower marks do not affect my ability to get jobs. I just prefer accurate evaluations!

Karen C
Go to Top of Page

Karen C
Contributor

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  3:42:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KenASch

Sorry to disappoint you Micah but I have done several of these and I am not desperate. If I'm going to be in the area doing other mystery shops, I have no problem picking one of these up for a free lunch or dinner. Yes, it's a two parter but the form is relatively easy to complete and I like the food at this fast food restaurant. I also like doing them in my home town and do not have a Costco nearby. They have increased the fee if the shop is on the board longer.

I agree, Ken. I like to do these when they are bonused at the end of the month. I also love the regular, timely payments. Except for recent evaluations that I question, I love shopping for Intellishop!

Karen C
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  10:55:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Karen, my only point to Ken was that the fees should be higher to begin with. They wouldn't sit on the board as long that way. These schedulers struggle to fill this because management thinks they can lowball the shoppers with $5 pay for this. We know other fast food scenarios for other companies pay more for 2 complete meals.

My issue is that people are helping the companies exploit all of us because people are so quick to grab shops for such inexcusable pay.

I shop Nevada too. Do you know what the base pay for these same shops is in Nevada? You don't want to know. I will shop in Nevada instead and skip them here until they reach a more reasonable level.

I don't shop these for less than $15 pay each.

I could live with $10 each if that was the STANDARD pay. I'm only asking people to holdout longer. This isn't a fine dining establishment that people die to shop for.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

John MrBeth
Valued Contributor

Mount Laurel, NJ
USA
184 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2013 :  2:16:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you take a look at your expenses you would find that you cannot move your car out of the driveway for less than $10
then add your cost for coping the shop instructions
your time to drive to and from the shop
your time to read and understand the shop instruction
your time to do the report (rarely less than 30 minutes per report)
You will find that you should not accept a shop for less than $20-25 unless you can make a route out of several.

I really get a laugh out of MSC's that want a high end shopper to do a high end shop and pay some paltry amount (ie: today I was asked to do a $18 shop for a $50,000 vehicle).

John
Southern NJ
Professional Couple
Both Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

SueB

Portland, Oregon
USA
47 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  09:25:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
To add insult to injury on these $5 shop, they send 4 or 5 e-mails a day pleading for shoppers to take these. Gee, maybe if the fee was appropriate, they wouldn't need to send all these e-mails. I won't take them at this fee. There have been a few, very few, that have been bonused in my area at the end of the month.

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
660 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  8:01:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What is going on with this company? I did a shop in November and have not been paid. My husband did a shop in November also and has not been paid but we were both paid for shops after that. Doesn't make any sense to me. Hubby has written 5 times and doesn't get an answer. I am disappointed in this company, they were usually slow but reliable. We could at least get an answer to our questions.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  01:49:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It seems they have put all the new hires on this project. All the schedulers I was used to working with are now on other clients. There is one scheduler that is newer but understands that not all locations are equal and will pay bonus without whining about it. I've built a good relationship with this scheduler in the 1-2 months I've worked with him.

I had another scheduler "beg" me to do a location because I did it last month. My response was I will do it for the same pay as I did the last time ($15), but I didn't tell her how much. She said she doesn't know how much I got the last time, but she could assign it to me for the $5 pay. I told her "Wow, you could?" I guess I'm too incompetent to self-assign these for the crappy $5 pay myself. My response was, "I don't need your notifications or help." "I could self-assign for the same $5 if I really wanted to, but obviously people are not wanting to or else you wouldn't be asking."

Personally I'm only willing to shop a restaurant (for $5 pay or NO pay) that I wouldn't want to spend my own money at. Something that would set me back $100 for 2, not something that costs $5-6 for a meal.

These desperate shoppers are only helping the MSC and making it harder on themselves (and us). It's a good thing I can still get about 5 per month at $15 pay. So all you people who want to do 3x as much work for the same pay as I get for 1 shop, knock yourself out!!! A little patience ALWAYS pays off!!!

My standards are higher than that. I will just shop them in Nevada where they pay significantly more.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  10:42:06 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
To my knowledge, this MSC has more than one client that does automotive work of various kinds, so I hope to avoid a violation especially since I spent some of my own money expecting reimbursement.

The target business on a shop today put the wrong weight oil in my car. I post this in hopes of saving somebody's car. Please double check your invoice for oil type and weight against your car owner's manual.

Tomorrow, I will be going back to my usual place that I pay good money to do the job right.

Now if the oil change had been done correctly, I would give this MSC good marks for a reasonable length report being required. Before someone yanks my chain ... yes it was bonused. Otherwise, that job goes to email heaven.
====
This is the second car involved shop for them (different targets and tasks). Both shops received acceptable but lower marks with claims of a variety of errors. I join others believing an editor is trying to earn his/her stripes as a stict editor.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  5:27:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sue Br.

What is going on with this company? I did a shop in November and have not been paid. My husband did a shop in November also and has not been paid but we were both paid for shops after that. Doesn't make any sense to me. Hubby has written 5 times and doesn't get an answer. I am disappointed in this company, they were usually slow but reliable. We could at least get an answer to our questions.

Not all jobs pay as quickly as others - some pay in the usual 2 months after the assignment while some pay the following month. They do notify you which ones will pay quicker. That's more than likely what is going on here. It can be a bit confusing to track payments, though.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
660 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  6:06:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The job hubby did was one that they bragged would be paid in a month. He has now written 7 seven times. Still waiting and I'm not taking any more shops until I get some answers.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Alan-Texas
Star Contributor

Arlington, TX
USA
544 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  12:02:55 PM  Visit Alan-Texas's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I know I'm late to this whole two-part fast food shop pay debate, but I wanted to add my two-cents worth.

Micah, you seem to be overly focused on a shopper having to be desperate in order to take one of these shops. You are making sweeping assumptions about other shoppers, and that is extremely rude and unfair.

Pay for a shop, any shop, is only one consideration many shoppers make when deciding to take a shop. Time, location, and additional value are other considerations. All these considerations combined are what shoppers use to decide whether to take a shop.

I'm not likely to drive across town to do, say, a cell-phone shop that only pays $5. After all, $5 wouldn't pay for my gas to get to and from. There is no value in the shop. However, if I was already going to be in that area, that $5 shop begins to look a little more appealing since the gas to get to that side of town has been taken care of already. It's simply a little more money in my pocket. The overall value of the shop is higher.

The same is true of this two-part fast food shop. While the normal pay for the shop is $5, you also get the added benefit of a meal you don't have to buy groceries for. If you like the drive-thru drink you have to order for breakfast, that's one less trip to Starbucks. If you like the drive-thru food you have to order for lunch or dinner, that's a second meal you don't have to buy groceries for. If you have a full day's worth of shops scheduled and would otherwise have to stop somewhere to eat anyway, then you are also saving yourself the money you would have otherwise had to spend to eat.

As you can see, a shop that only pays $5 can have a much higher value when all factors are considered.

It's clear, Micah, that you and others don't put much weight into the other factors that make up the value of a shop. And that's perfectly fine. I don't much care for these shops myself since I don't like the items that we have to order through the drive-thru. I just end up throwing those items away, so the shop as a whole doesn't have as much value for me. Plus, I have many other fast food shops I do, so there isn't much of a reason for me to add this set to my normal mix.

However, if I was already going to be out and about and didn't have another food shop lined up and needed one, then I wouldn't have a problem taking this shop. Getting free food plus $5 sure beats paying $5 - $10 somewhere else to fill my stomach while I'm already out.

And I will thank you very much, Micah, not to sit there and call me desperate for doing so.

Alan A.
MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping the Dallas / Ft. Worth area since 2005
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  11:30:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Everyone has a right to shop for whatever fee they want. That is the beauty of capitalism. Everyone has a different price and different reasons. My only point is, you know they are low-balling the fee and so many people are so quick to do them. To me, that = desperation. Other companies pay a higher starting fee for a similar scenario. Why jump all over this one for the lower fee?

I shop Nevada too. You would be kicking yourself to know what shop fees are there vs the rest of the country. So I refuse to work for such shoddy pay.

If you really feel making $5 for at least 15 minutes (but realistically longer with time spent inside/drive-thru/report) of effort is worth it to you, then knock yourself out. I have not done one of these for less than $13 pay. And I continue to hold out. I just wish that others would be a little more patient too instead of encouraging them to take advantage of us all. As long as people are jumping up and down to take them for $5, why should they pay more?

Micah
Go to Top of Page

DanSoule2

Glendale, AZ
USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  03:16:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Everyone who has been a part of mystery shopping for awhile or read forums, knows that Nevada is different. The rules are different, thus the pay is different. Also, not everyone lives near the state of Nevada. I also feel that desperation is an unnecessary word. Here is a hypothetical, that I myself have never been in, but given current state if affairs is not far off.... a part time mystery shopper who had no savings is laid off from their regular job. $5 pay for a meal becomes quite appealing. To each his own. Let's leave it at that. If you don't want the shop, don't do it. But don't complain about those that do.
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  11:46:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
good things come to that that wait!!!

If people would wait, even the part time shopper who needs the $5 would benefit from waiting and getting $15 shops (or more).

when people scramble for $5, that only encourages them to keep the pay to a minimum.

the $5 fee won't cover your doctor co-pay for what this food is doing to your body. think of it that way!!!

Micah
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  7:28:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MicahPage

good things come to that that wait!!!

If people would wait, even the part time shopper who needs the $5 would benefit from waiting and getting $15 shops (or more).

when people scramble for $5, that only encourages them to keep the pay to a minimum.

the $5 fee won't cover your doctor co-pay for what this food is doing to your body. think of it that way!!!

Let's see...I'm planning a route and have to eat. Location X is open for $5 and may or may not be open at a later time. Therefore, I take Location X because it is a sure bet, I have to eat anyway, and I'd rather not tap my earnings to pay for lunch. Not desperate, just planning sensibly. Sorry that I am lowering your earnings through my sensible route and day planning (in addition, if I don't plan some sort of a food shop I don't think about eating - not exactly the healthiest choice either). And FTR, I don't smoke, rarely drink, and generally eat healthy. If I choose to eat fast food that is my choice, despite people's judgmental remarks to the contrary (all things in moderation). I could get hit by a car tomorrow - think of it that way!!!

Karen
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  8:21:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with Karen. I'd rather have my lunch paid for and get a little fee, then to hold out and be...hungry. LOL!

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  11:55:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I cannot win on this one. I'm not a "professional" shopper that has routes and holes to fill on them. I'm a software engineer with a good salary. I won't lower myself to take food shops for the sake of free food. But I'm in a position where I don't need to. Not everyone is in my position. However, why not do the shops at the other MSC that has a large chain and pays MORE to begin with? Why take the $5 shop instead of the other?

It's a free country and that is what makes capitalism the best system in the world. People choose to work (or not work) based on their own needs. I just would hate to know that I'm doing the same work as others who make triple my pay. So for every $5 shop you do, you have to do 2 more shops to make the same $15 I get for 1 shop. I did 8 shops for them at a minimum of $15 for January. That would take the average shopper 24 shops at $5 to be even. No wonder this MSC is making a killing since there are so many willing to work for $5 pay.

Micah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums