Page: of 44

NinaNY
Contributor

Westchester County, NY
USA
87 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  05:48:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Micah,

It comes down to supply and demand. There may be few enough shoppers in your area that waiting for jobs to go to a higher commission is a reality for you. Where I am some shops get snapped up at their entry level commissions simply because there are too many fish in this particular pond . People want the shops so they grab them, the shops usually don't hang around long enough for commissions to rise. Also, speaking for my area I don't see the same jobs listed with two different companies so grabbing a job through a different company at a higher commission isn't an option. It must be a regional thing.

It sounds like you're in a great position, having a full time job with a good salary and being able to pick and choose which shops at what commission. Unfortunately there are far too many people out there that aren't as fortunate (or as patient ).

Nina
Silver & Gold certified. Shopping the Tri-State & wherever else my two wheels take me...
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  11:00:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm in Los Angeles area. There are a boatload of shoppers in Southern California. My point was not that there is the same exact client at another MSC. I think we all know that "the force" does similar scenarios. My point was those pay more (starting out). Why pick these?

Micah
Go to Top of Page

Rita Collins
Star Contributor

Michiana, MI
USA
518 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  12:38:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MicahPage

However, why not do the shops at the other MSC that has a large chain and pays MORE to begin with? Why take the $5 shop instead of the other?

Not everyone is allowed to do those shops. Do so many over so many years, and they disappear from your log. Or, make one remark to a scheduler and all of a sudden you are banned from doing them. Take your pick of any situation.

The point being, the previously mentioned location is one that many people do not see often. I take them when I feel like eating their food. I take them because I want to do them. I am not desparate. I am not broke, poor, unemployed, or uneducated. I take them and pass on other shops. I take the shops I want to take and decline the ones I do not want to take. It is that plain and simple. If I don't take them when I see them, they are gone before the company even sends an email. Apparently, there are a number of people that like the shops for whatever reason. Please leave it at that.

Rita Collins
Shopping Michiana
Go to Top of Page

YClayborne
Contributor

Gloucester, VA
USA
92 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  3:37:24 PM  Visit YClayborne's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Has anyone been paid for shops done in December?

Yolanda
Go to Top of Page

Jeff406
Valued Contributor

Venice, FL
USA
102 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  8:00:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Not yet. I expected it today.

Jeff Crozier
MSPA Gold Certified Shopper pi1jhd
Co-Owner VIDEO SHOPPING PROS
Shopping Nationwide Full Time/Video shopping road warrior.
Nevada work permit
Go to Top of Page

MichaelinNH
Star Contributor

New Hampshire
USA
488 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  04:07:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Nothing here. I am still waiting on a late November shop, that was edited in December and a December 2 shop. I was told they would be paid this month when I asked the original scheduler a couple weeks ago.

MSPA Gold 8/9/2006 MSPA Silver 6/23/2007
Video Shopper Certified 6/9/2011 NV Workcard R-061144. Shopping 50 States, Puerto Rico & Canada.
Go to Top of Page

MichaelinNH
Star Contributor

New Hampshire
USA
488 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  06:34:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mine just showed up and I know other shoppers are getting e-mails this morning for the December shops.

Video Shopper Certified 6/9/2011 NV Workcard R-061144. Shopping 50 States, Puerto Rico & Canada.
Go to Top of Page

SandiA
Star Contributor

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  10:56:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was paid on January 22nd for a shop done on December 11th. Maybe the delays have to do with the clients?

SandiA
Celebrating 14 Years in the Biz!
MSPA Gold Certified since 2003
Go to Top of Page

DLampkin
Star Contributor

New York City, NY
USA
283 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  1:24:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My scheduler told me once that their policy is to pay 45 days after the end of a month that you did a shop for them. I have seen it is more like 50 days. My Nov. shops were paid on Jan. 22, and my December shops were paid today, Feb. 21.

~~DLampkin~~
Go to Top of Page

SandiA
Star Contributor

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  6:19:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DLampkin

My scheduler told me once that their policy is to pay 45 days after the end of a month that you did a shop for them. I have seen it is more like 50 days. My Nov. shops were paid on Jan. 22, and my December shops were paid today, Feb. 21.

Guess I just got lucky, huh?

SandiA
Celebrating 14 Years in the Biz!
MSPA Gold Certified since 2003
Go to Top of Page

MichaelinNH
Star Contributor

New Hampshire
USA
488 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  8:09:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sandi,

Some of the MSPs give early payment as an incentive in place of, or with a bonus, to get hard to fill assignments covered.

These kind of policies do effect my choice of which companies not to take work with.

Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  11:49:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got payment today too. they pay consistently. maybe not always the same day of the month, but they are good about paying

Micah
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  11:54:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any great experiences with any of the schedulers or any bad experiences with the schedulers?

I find a couple to be really good. I like dealing with Shannon Scarberry and Sal Mignano. They are easier to work with and fair.

I find a couple to be total PITAs. I won't name them, but I'm curious why the big fluctuation between the experiences. I had one scheduler lie to me and I proved her wrong. She retracted it after I showed her the evidence. I don't want an adversarial relationship with a scheduler, but some of them have an attitude that they are doing us a favor. Without us shoppers, they have no business. Some of them need to remember that. MSC can come and go. I've seen companies switch MSC. Treat your shoppers like they owe you and you'll find that it will be harder to schedule and the client will take the contract to another MSC where they will get ALL their shops filled.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  04:30:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MicahPage

I had one scheduler lie to me and I proved her wrong. She retracted it after I showed her the evidence.

Knowingly lied, or made a mistake?

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  09:12:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am not sure if she intentionally lied. However, she made a statement that was a lie. I thought it was sloppy or lazy of this scheduler to make a global claim without checking first. The scheduler claimed they have NEVER paid the fee I was requesting for a few locations. I had over 6 shops in the past 6 months at these locations and showed her my shop log as proof. I asked her to explain or apologize for basically calling me a liar. I found her apology to be insincere. This is all thru e-mail so I cannot "hear" tone.

I just sit back and laugh now because I see the locations are not getting filled (once again this month) and this scheduler now claims they are not struggling to fill it, but yet they are sending daily e-mails. I feel so honored as I was offered a hero citation. I offerd to give her a hero citation if she paid the wage I requested.

She is one of the PITA. I've had a pretty good experience with the nearly all the schedulers, but there are a couple that are growing more difficult recently.

I just worked with Sal this morning and got a few more shops at the wage I wanted. So I will continue to watch this other scheduler struggle and be amused.

They need US. We don't need them. Together we can work as a team, however this scheduler doesn't want to work that way. She thinks I should be happy I can do this shop for $5 instead of having to dig in the trash for food. That was another doozy from her too!!!

Micah
Go to Top of Page

EmilyPWa
Valued Contributor

Willard, UT
USA
168 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  2:01:35 PM  Send EmilyPWa an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
My problems have all been with the editors. They have a gas station near my home and I am pretty sure I am the only shopper in this small town (I could be wrong) I do the shops there monthly when in rotation. Anyway I did a shop where I had to buy a piece of pizza which was reimbursed and then it paid $3 too. I like the pizza so I took the shop. The editor sent me an email questioning my timings I was told I only had to be there 7 min so I was. She then told me that I needed to go in and add more detail to all the areas. Well the shop paid $3 and the email I received said it would take me 5 minutes to do the report. It actually took me a little longer. I did not change anything just resubmitted. But I did send an email telling them if they wanted more detail then they needed to pay more than $3 because you get what you pay for and they paid me for a $3 shop so they got a $3 shop. I think I am done with them now. I will sit back and watch them beg people to come to my small town and laugh when I am there getting gas anyway.

Emily
Now shopping in the Ogden UT area
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  2:43:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Emily,

I wish more people had your mindset. I don't care what people claim on this board. Doing a fast food shop for $5 is DESPERATION. I value my time. I have done 1 of these out of 73 total since the project started for $5. All the rest have been a minimum of $15. If everyone would wait it out, they would have to increase the pay from $5.

I can understand people wanting to do this so bad if it were a nice high-end restaurant. I do many mid to upper end restaurants where there is NO pay. But the food, ambience and experience is completely worth it.

A shop for a combo and $5 seems ludicrous for the minimum 20 minutes involved (time there, report submission, etc). Then if you factor in the income taxes YOU ARE SUPPOSED to be paying on the shop fee, that $5 is even less.

Keep your standards up and they will have to comply with your request since there are relatively no shoppers in your area. I'm in SoCal where there are thousands of shoppers, so the only ones that last on the board are the high-crime areas or the ones where no one speaks english as a first language.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

SueB

Portland, Oregon
USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  12:48:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is anyone else getting annoyed with this MSC with its spamming e-mails regarding a certain fast food shop? Today I woke up to 6 emails asking for shoppers at the original $5 fee. At noon I had 9, yes 9 more, still begging for us to do this shop for the same $5. Instead of spending their time spamming shoppers (15 requests in about 6 hours is definitely spam) maybe they should be talking with the client (or themselves) about increasing the fees so these shops are worth taking.

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

KenASch
Star Contributor

Camarillo, CA
USA
688 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  12:49:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here's a stange one. Today (3/22/13) I am trying to self assign a shop for 3/24 but this message appears on the selection screen:

"Please pick a date between today and 03-24-13 (m-d-y) except 03-22-2013, 03-23-2013, 03-24-2013"

I selected 3/24 anyhow but only got an error message that this date is not acceptable.

I emailed the scheduler.

Ken S
Gold Shopper
Shopping Ventura County California
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  11:47:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been saying all along, hold out!!! I've done over 50 of these since they landed the client. I did 1, yes one for $5. I have not done another for less than $15. I get them for $15 constantly. I've even been paid up to $35 each on some.

I'm in LOS ANGELES, so even in one of the largest cities, you can still get them to pay. they don't all have to be rural.

The problem is, there are too many people who settle for the $5. It's not worth it. And before someone responds back that it is, let me ask how you like working for 1/3 the pay of other shoppers doing the same work on the same project?

Fast food is fast food. You can eat for $3 if you're not doing this shop. Heck hit a Costco or Sam's Club and you can make out for $1.50 hot dog combo and then get all the tasters too.

Micah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums