Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

DonnaJ
Trainee

Colorado Springs, CO
USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  10:31:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I usually serve Prime Rib and all the trimmings on Christmas Eve. But with cooking a huge turkey dinner the very next day, I'm trying to come up with something else. I'm thinking of just having a ton of hors d'oeuvres (got recipes?) to nibble on all evening. Any other ideas?

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  11:36:47 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Prime Rib no no no

Christmas Eve is my favorite eating event. Italian tradition calls for 7 fishes to be served. Called The Feast of the Seven Fishes.

Never mind that the tradition has become more prevalent here than in the old country. Or that non-Italian kitchens are getting in the spirit. It's a fishfest to suit every appetite.

SEE:

You don't need to be Italian, just love seafood to get behind this tradition.
So think more:

• Spaghetti with White Clam Sauce
  • Spaghetti with Red Clam Sauce
  • Linguine with Mussels
  • Stuffed Clams
  • Scungilli (Conch) in Marinara Sauce
  • Fried Calamari
  • Stuffed Calamari
  • Baccala (dried cod)
  • Shrimp
  • Scallops
  • Pasta with Anchovies
  • Seafood Salad (Insalata di Mare)
  • etc.
Some recipes available in above links and at allrecipes.com

ciao,
Ray

For more food ideas, but sure to visit
Volition® Food and Recipes
Go to Top of Page

Katilizz
Valued Contributor

WI
USA
222 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  12:04:29 PM  Send Katilizz an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm going to Ray's house for Christmas Eve

Traditionally here we do mucho hors d'oeurves - but personally I find them more time consuming than a meal would be. I love to do little garnishes and make everything look "just so" and festive.

I don't have any recipes handy - sorry - I'm not even thinking about Thanksgiving yet. :) lol

Katie

Go to Top of Page

DonnaJ
Trainee

Colorado Springs, CO
USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  2:59:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Katie, I'll be there too! What a unique idea and what a feast. I especially like the sound of the pastas with seafood. The history of this is interesting, too. If I try this I will skip the eels mentioned in one of them.
Go to Top of Page

Lis_WA

WA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  2:54:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite Christmas Eve dinners is a Seafood Paella that my Dad starts on the stove top and places in the oven for a few minutes before done after drizzling some white wine or beer over it. Grilled vegetables with a little olive oil and rosemary complement it.

Any how - as for hors d'oeuvres:
Elegant Artichoke Cups
wonton wrappers
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons snipped parsley
1 lemon
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

In a muffin pan (mini muffin pan makes small ones) press 1 wonton wrapper. Bake 5 minutes/350. Mix other ingredients, except for lemon you just want the 1/2 teaspoon of zest (flavor enhancer). Also save some of the parmesan to sprinkle over them. Fill wonton cups, sprinkle with cheese and bake another 6 minutes.

Enjoy
Go to Top of Page

ConnieS
Star Contributor

Matthews (near Charlotte), NC
USA
396 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  4:05:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do the Prime Rib thing too on Christmas Eve. Christmas is not a heavy day though. We generally have coldcuts, cheeses, and breads and all the trimmings for a nice deli do-it-yourself. It's basically a eat whenever you want, and eat all day long. On Christmas morning, I always have a breakfast casserole (one of those things you throw together the night before and let it sit in your frig overnight, and then cook in the morning while we open gifts). I make mine with sausage, eggs, lots of cheese, and croutons. It's very good.

MSPA Gold Certification q4rzw0
Go to Top of Page

Emma
Valued Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
196 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  2:56:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Christmas Eve dinner for us is usually something easy. Either a pot roast that can just be thrown in the oven, or ham and potatoes au gratin are popular. Christmas dinner is always either a roasted turkey or spiral honey glazed ham. There are also multiple pies, cakes, cookies, side dishes, homemade bread, and all things fattening. So, Christmas Eve simply has to be SIMPLE. The only tradition is egg nog (which I WON'T drink), but my husband and girls enjoy. I just eat a few Christmas cookies and sip hot chocolate to get me in the mood!
Go to Top of Page

Terri-CA
Star Contributor

CA
USA
272 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  3:36:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We are eating whatever the Honey Baked Ham Company is making.
Go to Top of Page

SMarie

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  11:33:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ummm...Ray what time is dinner?

At our house Prime Rib is reserved for Christmas Day. A tradition, me and my mom started before I had a family of my own, was to order out on Christmas dinner (when we lived in Canada we order from Swiss Chalet). Now it is Chinese.

Hey Emma, why don't you drink Egg Nog?

Marie
Go to Top of Page

MaryHermann
Valued Contributor

Kalispell, MT
USA
119 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  4:23:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do Hickory Farms the night before Christmas ....and we all have to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!
Beef stick slices, Turkey stick slices, cheese slices, cheese balls, crackers, cocktail breads...rye, wheat, etc...
An assortment of mayo, cranberry mustard, honey mustard, sweet hot mustard, tomatoes, lettuce, and then...cocoa & cider.
Macaroni and cheese, too, for the little ones. :)
I am already there!

The voices may not be real, but they sure have some good ideas!
Go to Top of Page

SandyMcMahan
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  12:20:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yeah Ray....us Tucson peeps must stay together ya know

What time is dinner again?

Yummmmmmy....Rays got me hungry!

Course Prime Rib is nothing to shake a stick at either

I usually do a aray of finger foods along with about 15 different kinds of cookies/candies I had just baked.

"Hug someone today, it will make them smile"
Go to Top of Page

MaureenLu
Star Contributor

Dallas, TX
USA
283 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  10:35:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We all head to Lake Havasu, AZ to my parent's house (from TX, CA and WA) and have our big turkey dinner on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day, after opening presents - where we still open them ONE AT A TIME - we have brunch, stuffed french toast, eggs, bacon, sausage, stratas and frittatas, homemade egg McMuffins and more. My mom thinks Mikey D's ripped her off because she has been making them for decades and our last name starts with McM, so she thinks she invented them. We just pick at all the leftovers the rest of the day and then we head to Laughlin, NV for some gambling fun! It was a tradition growing up in CA that we would go to Las Vegas the day after Christmas - so now we settle for Laughlin - it's closer...

But after reading Ray's post - maybe we'll just have to make a stop there - we drive right through there from TX.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
Go to Top of Page

Emma
Valued Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
196 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  1:33:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SMarie

Hey Emma, why don't you drink Egg Nog?
The only explanation I can offer is "blech!" I just don't like it. I can't really explain why.
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  6:19:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Laughlin on Christmas Day!! I want to go too I will be going to Atlantic City the day after Christmas, but it will be really cold.
Go to Top of Page

Heather86
Star Contributor

Bourbonnais (S. of Chicago), IL
USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2003 :  6:41:55 PM  Visit Heather86's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
My uncles usually have done some hunting and then make something out of their kill. Last year it was a large smoked hide of deer. We have also had pheasant pot pie, venison made into chili, hamburgers, coldcut sausage like meats served with cheese. Never a dull Christmas dinner. I stick to the side dishes everyone else brings.
Go to Top of Page

KarenSE
Star Contributor

Helen, GA
USA
333 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  6:45:13 PM  Visit KarenSE's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
When my kids were little and too excited to eat dinner on Christmas Eve, I started making hors dourves. I made a party complete with my best wineglasses for their koolaid. They loved it, and it made them feel very special. Now that they are grown, they love the memories of the Christmas Eve cocktail parties I made for them and THAT is what they want more than anything for me to make for Christmas.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

JanetW
Star Contributor

New Orleans, LA
USA
271 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  12:14:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's become a tradition at our house to forget the cooking and pop open a few dozen raw oysters.

MSPS Gold Shopper since Nov. 2002
Shopping New Orleans and Gulfport--points in between and beyond.
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2003 :  8:17:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do not like turkey, and this sounds good to me!!! A bit of a Champange chaser, and were in business!!
Go to Top of Page

MrsKenna
Star Contributor

Oxnard, CA
USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  8:34:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ColleenNYC

I do not like turkey, and this sounds good to me!!! A bit of a Champange chaser, and were in business!!
I do not like turkey either but we bought a smoked turkey from the Honey Baked Store. Whew, it tasted good..almost like ham!!

CALIFORNIA- Oxnard, Camarillo, Ventura, Port Hueneme and neighboring cities
Go to Top of Page

BransonRose

Branson West, MO
USA
35 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  04:09:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We are having the 3 pound, glazed, spiral cut turkey breast I had to buy on my last shop. I love looking in the freezer and seeing that turkey breast!
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  11:58:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Standing Rib Roast and Fresh Horseradish Sauce
Baked Potato Casserole
Mom's Christmas Green Beans
Green Jello Salad
24 Hour Layered Lettuce Salad
Mandarin Orange Salad
Rolls
Relish Tray
Cherry Cheesecake

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums