Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Christina WNY
Inactive

Buffalo, NY
USA
305 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2004 :  11:47:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Christmas Eve dinner is usually pretty simple around here. On the menu tonight...

Roast Beef
Au Gratin potatoes
Broccoli

We will probably have some more of that "Christmas Day" cheesecake that we got into a tad early the other night!
Go to Top of Page

Jen_in_MD
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2004 :  11:51:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Since my family doesn't celebrate Christmas, we have our own Christmas tradition......dinner at a Chinese restaurant and a movie. They're usually the only places open!

MSPA Gold certified: #5bqyg3
Specializing in hotel, spa, and fine dining evaluations throughout MD, DC, and Northern VA
Go to Top of Page

AdAora
Star Contributor

Deep in the heart of, TX
USA
3770 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2004 :  12:17:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Leftovers, since my kids are with their dad. But I will take them out to lunch tomorrow, probably Chinese buffet like Jen said.

Gold certified in TX
Go to Top of Page

LauraB
Star Contributor

Frederick, MD
USA
921 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2004 :  1:11:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Normally we do chili on Christmas Eve and something more traditional Christmas night.

MSPA Gold Certified #4xgoix
Go to Top of Page

Rachel217
Valued Contributor

Montreal, Quebec
Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2004 :  05:43:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jen, we're doing pretty well the same thing - we're going to Jade Garden for lunch, then a stroll around Chinatown, capped by a visit to our fave pharmacy, where we'll shuffle around the store looking for something (anything) interesting. We can never agree on a movie, but we all loooove to shop!!!

Silver certified, shopping the Greater Montreal area!
Go to Top of Page

WB_Vicky
Contributor

West Babylon, NY
USA
85 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2004 :  10:12:51 AM  Send WB_Vicky an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ray quoted:
"Christmas Eve is my favorite eating event. Italian tradition calls for 7 fishes to be served. Called The Feast of the Seven Fishes."

I always look forward to my mom's house for dinner. One thing I told my husband when we got married is that Christmas Eve is always at my moms. This year she made stuffed clams which was the clam, very little breadcrumbs and the sauce from the pasta.

Vicky
Go to Top of Page

DeborahH
Star Contributor

BC
Canada
804 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  11:48:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Since my dear in laws, are coming here for christmas eve and they are old fashioned, there will be 4 of us, I said I would do all the cooking (what was I thinking) I need some help with a menu for this event. I don't want a turkey but I was thinking maybe a ham or something
Go to Top of Page

LindJorg
Star Contributor

Tacoma, WA
USA
921 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  12:02:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Tradition here for Christmas Eve is Lobster bisque, Smoked Duck, sugar snap peas & wild rice, shrimp salad and cherry or strawberry cheesecake for dessert. After dinner, we go to Christmas Eve services where we sing carols. We have been doing this for 20 years, ever since my son was 4 years old. He is married with a baby this year but he still wants to continue this tradition which is nice.(and my daughter in law makes a delicious cheesecake,,,YUM!!)

PS Deborah, a spiral ham with a brown sugar or maple glaze is nice for Christmas eve.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

DeborahH
Star Contributor

BC
Canada
804 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:33:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have never heard of a spiral ham, where do you get these? and do you have a recipe for this ham?
Go to Top of Page

KellyBear
Star Contributor

Fairfax, VA
USA
1198 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  08:24:04 AM  Send KellyBear an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
We have a fun dinner on Christmas eve with 2 or 3 different kinds of soups (usually Cheeseburger soup, some kind of italian tomato soup and perhaps a tortilla soup), along with crackers and spreads and homemade punch (7-up and sherbet).

Ohhhh I can't wait! Between Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas, the anticipation is killing me!
Go to Top of Page

DeborahH
Star Contributor

BC
Canada
804 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  12:00:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Some earlier suggest a spiral ham with something on it, I can't remember but if you have the recipe could you please post it?
thanks
Go to Top of Page

TBennis
Star Contributor

WI
USA
639 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  1:31:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I can't cook Everything sounds so good....anyone want a guest. LOL

Tiffany
Go to Top of Page

LindJorg
Star Contributor

Tacoma, WA
USA
921 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  10:29:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Deborah, I find spiral hams here in the states at all the grocery stores. Don't know about Canada. Do a search on the web and you will see about them. Costco carries them also. They are already sliced. You just heat them in the oven. They usually include a glazing mix that you heat on the stove with water and brush on while baking.

If not here are some glaze recipes:

Glaze #1 2 cups of pineapple juice
half cup packed light brown sugar
tsp cinnamon & half teaspoon ginger
quarter tsp cloves
combine all in heavy saucepan. simmer 6-8 minutes
until thickened, stir occasionally

Glaze #2
works with ham, pork and lamb is:

quarter cup molasses & quarter cup marmalade
quarter cup prepared mustard & quarter cup vinegar
quarter tsp curry powder

Combine all in saucepan..........heat slowly until bubbly hot.

Glaze #3
half cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons orange or pineapple juice & half tsp ground mustard

Mix all ingredients..........brush over ham last 45 minutes.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Mazie
Star Contributor

Forest Grove, OR
USA
468 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  12:21:40 PM  Visit Mazie's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
My mom is Swedish, and we always have a traditional Swedish Christmas Eve dinner. It is a meatless dinner with brothe and breadsticks to dip in it, and cheese sticks. We also have rice with an almond in it, and whoever gets the almond will have good luck all year long. Except we all love the almond, so now we put tons of almonds in the rice... good luck for everyone! Then we have springrle cookies, which are anise flavored. Läcker! Adjö!

Gold Certified shopper, editor, editor trainer.
Shopping the Portland Metro area, willing to travel.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  11:35:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When we planned our Thanksgiving menu, we went ahead and agreed on Christmas. We are grilling steaks outdoor and having mudbugs sautee'd in garlic butter on the side. My mother-in-law wants mashed potatoes with this (I would have picked baked--my husband would have voted for rice--and my daughter fries). We'll also have a salad and I will probably make kugel for dessert, now that I have found the family recipe.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  12:10:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
mudbugs sautee'd in garlic butter on the side.

jnanne: please 'splain what these are.....?????
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  4:56:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We will have a pig picking. My husband and I are getting the pig and I will make a 14 layer chocolate cake and cheesecake. I usually do it all but was so tired on Thanksgiving that when I got them all full and sedated I delegated the other dishes. At this point we will have "red" potatoes or potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, hush puppies and banana pudding. And you all know what I think of my grandson so when he requests chicken pastry I won't be able to say no. Then of course, her royal highness, our daughter will want a pig picking cake and they are easy so I will make one. Of course we will pray for fair weather and good humors. Sometimes with 21 of us it is hard to keep everyone on an even keel. Christmas day we will all be back in our separate family units and ours will have prime rib and maybe even fry a small turkey for supper as the others drift in. I am the eldest by several years. We had a home with all the trimmings as children but Daddy behaved badly and Mama was self absorbed so I have been mothering the others all my life. Hence, I am like an old hen and am happiest when I have all my biddies tucked under my wings.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  04:55:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
"Mudbugs" is the Louisiana term for crawdads or crayfish (whichever term you use depends on where you are in the country). These are fresh-water lobster-like shell-fish, no bigger than the palm of your hand. Around here they are steamed or boiled and eaten right out of the shell. I prefer to pick the tail out and serve them much as I would langostinos. They have a slightly sweet taste, like a good lobster, but are much less expensive. My daughter loves them. These are being served at her request this meal.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Irene_L.A.
Star Contributor

Valencia, California
USA
922 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  5:40:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My family has Turkey for Thanksgiving and Channakah which starts the 21st and runs through xmas this year. I am making a Dark Chocolate Bark with walnuts, cashews and mini marshmellows. Tried today, and it came out "to die for", so good, easy too.
6 ounces dark chocolate
1/2 cup mixed nuts and 1/2 cups mini marshmellows.
Melt chocolate, place on cookie sheet and wax or parchment paper sprayed. Add nuts to mixture when melted and smooth, pour on cookie sheet and place in freezer for 1 hour. Break and enjoy....

Irene Eichel
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  12:31:32 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Now that the family has grown and there are a ton of grandkids, and great-grands, too, Christmas Eve has become a night of easy cooking. Every adult brings their favorite appetizer.We also serve a choice of mini sandwiches, rossetes,lefse,prissel's, and other norweigen yummies. We traditionally have virgin Grasshoppers for the kids,which they look forward to. Wine, and other preferred beverages are served to adults. Kids are allowed to open all gifts from relatives this night, saving Santa's gifts for xmas morning at home. Christmas Day we gather at my daughters home, where she and I do all the cooking for the traditional Christmas Dinner. The kids can play with their gifts from Santa, and dont feel the anxiety of having to go to Grandma's house and miss one second of their play time. When my own kids were growing up, Christmas Eve was the only night wed go visiting, as Christmas Day was THEIR day to enjoy their new toys.We all have traditions important to us. Wish you a VERY Merry Christmas!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums