Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  3:22:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, relating to mudbugs...as you know quite well, they are very popular in Louisiana and in Texas. We even have the Crawfish Festivals every year.

My husband grew up in a very poor area of Kentucky. There was never enough meat on the table. After he was grown and moved to Texas, he found that crawfish were edible. He tells stories about his childhood when there would be mudbugs all over the place where he lived but nobody there knew they could be eaten. People went hungry with all that food at their feet.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  12:03:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We are in transition this year. My mother-in-law moved into our dining room when her house sold and we finally have a closing date on our new home: Dec 16. There are several things that need to be done before we move in, so we'll still be here at Christmas. It has been suggested that we have pizza for Christmas dinner. I refuse. I don't find cooking to be stressful and I would be horribly disappointed if I couldn't cook something special for Christmas. I still don't know what it will be, but it won't be pizza.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  09:47:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We enjoyed the communal Thanksgiving dinner at the church, so we didn't have much in the way of left-overs. Several people brought sweet potato dishes, but every one of them had pecans or walnuts, so I couldn't eat them. The dressings all had celery in them. Two people brought gravy, but no one brought mashed potatoes. There were many cranberry relishes, but all had orange or pineapple in them. I was able to eat the turkey, a roll, and the foods I cooked (taboule and kugel). I thoroughly enjoyed the party, spending time with the folk present, so I'm not unhappy with the experience. I just wish I'd been able to enjoy all the delectible dishes present.

I really love left-over turkey sandwiches. So, I am roasting a turkey for Christmas, with many of the traditional trimmings. I can't see my family complaining about turkey so soon after the last, since they weren't forced to enjoy it for a week or more.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  12:22:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will proly make chicken parmesan this year. That is my favorite food.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  4:18:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This year we did the communal Thanksgiving for lunch (almost 100 people attended) and the food was awesome. And I cooked a big dinner for family for supper, so we had wonderful left-overs for several days. For Christmas my mother-in-law and sister-in-law are both advocating ordering Chinese food to be delivered. I was hoping my husband would grill steaks. Maybe we'll do both--Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2015 :  1:31:05 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I generally make a big meal, but that changed last year when my next to the oldest son stayed for two weeks, which will be repeated again this year. We had boneless ribeyes w/sauted mushrooms on the grill, shrimp cocktail, and garlic potatoes xmas eve. Xmas Day we each had #1 plus lobster tails with twice baked potatoes, and cold broccoli salad. Well be doing the same this year using New York strip and lobsters, but change up the rest of the meal a bit. We use our grill all winter long. It was really nice not having the extra cooking and cleanup. New Years Ill cook up a turkey with all the fixins for Kurt and I.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums