Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

.LisaFrazer
Inactive

Raleigh, NC
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  1:45:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if any of you have made your own laundry soap. I found a great site with some soap recipes at {invalid-link-removed}. I have made one batch using recipe #1 with great success. My husband figure out it cost me about $0.97 and it made about 14 pounds.

Lisa

Terri-CA
Star Contributor

CA
USA
272 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  6:03:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I couldn't get the link to work, but found this one http://thefrugalshopper.com/. Is this the same site? Thanks so much for the recipe idea. I never thought about making my own!
Go to Top of Page

.LisaFrazer
Inactive

Raleigh, NC
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  07:34:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is the same one.

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  07:39:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just made my first homemade dishwashing liquid. I have a recipe for laundry detergent also but haven't done that one yet.

I used those little slivers of soap that are too small to take a shower with to make mine. So my total cost on one gallon of dishwashing liquid was probably about 30 cents or so. I found this recipe online and tweaked it a little. The original recipe called for 2 bars of Octagon soap but I wanted to utilize the soap that was of no use to me anymore instead of buying more.

equivalent of two bars of soap shredded (I used small scraps of Zest)
1 cup baking soda
1/4 cup wshing soda
1/4 cup lemon juice

Put shredded soap in 4-1/2-5 quarts of water and melt on stove. When melted, turn stove off and add all other ingredients and stir. When cooled, pour in sealed containers.

Use as you would any other dish detergent. The only thing is that it does not suds up but it gets the dishes very clean and cuts grease well. The dishes are also easier to rinse. The lady who posted this also said she used 1/8 cup of vinegar in her rinse water.

My daughter wants to try this to wash her car. She already uses dishwashing liquid to clean her car and this would save her money.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
456 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  11:52:58 AM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I made homemade laundry soap with great success. All the recipes I initially found were for liquid but I searched around until I found a powered version.

1 bar of soap finely grated (I used a bar of Dr. Bronner's Lavender)
1 cup Borax
1 cup washing soda.

Stir all together until well blended. Other versions suggested to use a food processor to blend.

Use 2 tablespoons per load. For really dirty loads I use two heaping tablespoons.

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  1:09:09 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Like the rest of you, I too have had great success in making my own laundry detergent. Not knowing how, I performed an online search inputting "homemade laundry soap" in the search area, and was surprised at the MANY recipes offered. If your local grocer doesnt carry some of the ingredients needed, they can be purchased at online stores for little to nothing. WalMart here carried Borax and washing soda, which both have been discontinued over the years at most stores. From my own experience I found homeade is just as good as the store bought detergents. For the rinse cycle, White Vinegar acts as a fabric softener.
Go to Top of Page

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
456 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  3:31:35 PM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
White vinegar is also good as a rinse agent in the dishwasher. I stopped spending the big on JetDry and put in vinegar in the compartment instead. It works great!

Since so many consumers are taking a "Back to Basics" approach due to the economy; I've seen both borax and washing soda at many stores. Also washing soda is the same thing as Soda Ash in swimming pool supply shops but the smallest size I have seen there is in a 3lb bucket..

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising!
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  5:40:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
To Iron Chef Toni

Thanks for the powdered version recipe for laundry detergent. I am anxious to try that one. It's even simpler than the liquid version, which wasn't difficult.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  11:44:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a front-load washer, and they can have problems with holding water between uses. And that water can get a bit stinky, which transfers to the clothes. I found that if I put vinegar into the bleach hole anytime I am not using bleach, that not only does it take care of this problem, but it solves any other odor problems the laundry may have developed. Even the dogs bedding from the doghouses comes out smelling much better than without the vinegar. (I won't lie and say it smells great, but it is better. Although I am not certain that the dogs don't prefer the smell pre-washing).

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen T
Contributor

Indianapolis, IN
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  10:31:13 PM  Visit Kathleen T's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JuanitaJ

I just made my first homemade dishwashing liquid.

Do you use the dishwashing liquid in your dishwasher? Or, is this for when you're hand washing dishes?

Thanks for your help!
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  4:13:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kathleen,

I just used this for handwashing. The stuff washes the dishes good but I didn't like the "feel" of it. It felt "greasy" although it wasn't really greasy.

Also, when I was melting the soap on the stove, it overflowed. Some of the mixture flowed into an area under my stovetop and I didn't realize it was around some wiring. It shorted out my stove and I had to get a new one.

So it turned me against making any more.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  4:26:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've seen lots of recipes for powdered detergent, but not much for liquid. I've found that even the home-made powdered detergent doesn's work for me. I end up with a rash on whatever body part touches the clothes that were washed with the powder.

Anyone have a great liquid detergent recipe they want to share?

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen T
Contributor

Indianapolis, IN
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2011 :  01:22:08 AM  Visit Kathleen T's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response, Juanita. Good to know - I'll just keep watching for sales and using coupons instead of attempting my own dishwashing liquid.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  2:12:53 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone use home made laundry soap in their HE frontload washer? There was an article in the Yahoo site that bragged their home made soap worked better than TIDE for cleaning, and whitening, and only cost 7cents per load of laundry. Wouldn't you know though they didn't furnish the recipe!
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
660 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  2:25:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the homemade detergent but I do know about the homemade fabric softener. I had a front loader at the time and I made some and it worked well, however, after a few weeks my machine would not drain. I had to call the repairman who said it was clogging up my lines and was not designed for a front loader. Just a word to the wise.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  5:21:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Nothing home-made here--but I put just a little fabric softener in the dispenser, just enough to cover the bottom, then fill to the "max" line with vinegar. I also fill the bleach dispenser with vinegar. Since I started doing this (using the Sam's Club brand of liquid detergent in very small quantities), our laundry is much cleaner, there are no spots from the fabric softener, and the machine smells nice. No more stale odor between loads.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  06:32:52 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I don't know about your front loader, but mine has a trap located at the front bottom exterior of the machine that collects lint, etc, that is supposed to be cleaned out to avoid odors in the washer. In the almost 4 yrs Ive had mine I haven't cleaned mine, and still never experience any kind of unpleasant odors. I always leave the washer door open though between laundry use. I also bought this identical set for my son and daughter in law around the same time as I purchased mine and they have never complained about odors. I don't use liquid softener, but use the sheets in the dryer. I read somewhere a good tip for increasing the life of our dryers that I want to share. Every month I take the filter out of the dryer and thoroughly wash it. Evidently, the chemicals in the fabric sheets clog up the lint filter screen, and makes it difficult for heat to go through, which causes our dryers to work harder and the heating element to go bad. As for the liquid softeners, they contain a wax that clogs up the various bearings, etc, in the washer which leads to costly repairs, if not destroying the machines. I also use vinegar at times, but also use 1/2 cup Ammonia added to the wash cycle for those hard to remove stains. I never use bleach in the washer as it dries out anything made of rubber or plastic, and it also rots the elastic in many items, especially in socks and underwear. I guess Ill have to do a search online to find a good home made detergent suitable for HE machines as the cost of store bought is getting too expensive, even if purchasing the cheap brands.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  3:04:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My machine has nothing you can easily access to clean, maintain, etc. When it refused to empty water a year or so ago I had to pull it out, prop it up against the wall, and remove all kinds of stuff to get to the clogged filter.

Our home warranty would have covered a repairman, but with a $75 co-pay I figured I could just do it myself and use the warranty for stuff I can't handle--like ruptures in the 100-year-old cast iron drain pipes inside the walls!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums