Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Does the volume of Mystery Shopping change during the Holiday Season?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Harry J
Contributor

Smyrna, TN
USA
87 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  08:26:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

I am new to mystery shopping (8 shops since 10/1) and have greatly benefitted from this forum. I was wondering if opportunities slow during the holiday season. Any feedback from veteran shoppers is greatly appreciated!

Harry
Newly shopping in middle Tennessee

CarolShopsNTX
Valued Contributor

Dallas, TX
USA
143 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  08:45:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes I have always found that November/December are great months. There are fewer shoppers, too, as folks are b-u-s-y!

Shopping North Texas and sometimes Central Colorado! MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

EmilyPWa
Valued Contributor

Willard, UT
USA
168 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  09:39:47 AM  Send EmilyPWa an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have found the holidays to be very slow! I guess that it depends on where you live!

Emily
Now shopping in the Ogden UT area
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Lis_WA

WA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  10:54:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It does seem that companies try to wrap things up early in December so they can also enjoy the holidays. However, use the down times to continue to apply to other companies and when they start again in January you will have gotten into other databases.

Lis
MSPA Gold Certified Shopper
Shopping WA or where travel takes us!
Go to Top of Page

.StephanieA
Inactive

Redmond, WA
USA
1816 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  11:03:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I looked at my old log sheet and it seems I was rather busy in the November to December months. There was not a week that I did not have 15-20 shops to do.

Shopping WA especially, Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue, Woodinville and from Tukwila to Lynnwood.
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

MelanieNJ
Star Contributor

NJ
USA
267 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  11:16:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I see that some December shops are coming up and I even got a shop that has to specifically be done on the day after Thanksgiving. December shops seem to be the same volume but I'm hoping I can pick up emergency shops that month! Also, I find myself taking different kinds of shops because I know I can use the purchases for Christmas gifts.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa Fleck
Star Contributor

Boston, MA
USA
367 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  11:21:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't know how busy I'll be over the holidays, but 2 companies have already hired me to do monthly shops for them beginning in Jan. Something about the start of a new quarter.

Lisa
Shop till you drop!
Go to Top of Page

.Jen_in_Colorado
Inactive

Colorado
USA
65 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  11:46:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What companies do you shop for that schedule for the future? There is only one company that I have some shops scheduled for December and they aren't a MS company, it is a marketing company that offers MS as one of their services. I would love ot plan things out a few weeks, heck, evn next week would be nice!!!

Jen
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1852 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  4:29:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's as busy as you want it to be. I think many of the part-timers (like me ) scale back around the holidays, leaving more shops for those that want them. I'm not sure if the actual volume changes, but the distribution does.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

.StephanieA
Inactive

Redmond, WA
USA
1816 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  6:47:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jen_in_Colorado

In answer to your question, I have about ten MS companies that I have shops lined up for in December already.

Shopping WA especially, Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue, Woodinville and from Tukwila to Lynnwood.
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  06:24:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Last December I had been very busy. However, I took on a lot of jobs other shoppers had dropped due to bad weather or health issues (the nasty stomach virus that was going around). I don't mind driving in the snow And I feel sorry for all of those that got sick. My DD got it just before Christmas at grandma's house. Let's just say, I don't want to have that experience again (hospital and all). While I would like to be as busy again this season, I rather get the jobs under happier circumstances

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

MelanieNJ
Star Contributor

NJ
USA
267 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  11:26:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have 2 great shops lined up for December ... but that's all! I am being cautious on the shops that require one specific date only because I worry about bad weather and fun things that could come up that I'd rather do instead. But I do feel like I don't have nearly as many lined up for December at this point compared to other months.
Go to Top of Page

ShAndrews
Inactive

Inland Empire, California
USA
480 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  11:56:51 AM  Send ShAndrews an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Julie_WA_Writer

It's as busy as you want it to be. I think many of the part-timers (like me ) scale back around the holidays, leaving more shops for those that want them. I'm not sure if the actual volume changes, but the distribution does.

I think you may have hit that nail on the head, Julie! I, too, purposely pull back during November and December due to both holidays and birthdays, plus to start getting my taxes in order (I like to do them early ). If many other shoppers do the same, then that would make it seem like more work is out there.

Of course, it could just be that there is more work out there

Shannon R. Andrews
MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping the Inland Empire, Southern California
Go to Top of Page

SherryShopper
Star Contributor

Orlando, FL
USA
490 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  5:53:13 PM  Visit SherryShopper's Homepage  Send SherryShopper an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would like to pick up a few extra shops during the holidays. I have many shops already scheduled for both December and January too! for Shannon!

~*~ Sherry ~*~
sfox@yourwebness.com
MSPA Gold Certified #bzxeut
Shopping:
Orlando, FL and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page

SharonMc1961
Valued Contributor

Athens, TN
USA
150 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  4:08:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
December is looking up. November was bad but as of today I already have seven shops lined up (three different towns) and that's only with one company. How're are the rest of you doing? Bettr than November?

Sharon
Go to Top of Page

SueNJ

Wayne, NJ
USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  4:51:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sherryshopper,

How do you have shops already lined up for January? I have never seen a shop yet for that far in advance. Wow, maybe I'm not looking in the right places? TIA!
Go to Top of Page

EHamill
Trainee

Manchester, CT
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  5:11:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am new to this industry as well (2 weeks) but as of today, I have already done 6 shops in December with 4 more set up this week... Maybe I am just lucky where I live.

EHamill
shopping Connecticut - Top to Bottom and Everything Inbetween!
Go to Top of Page

MPresley
Valued Contributor

Lake Mary, FL
USA
155 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  5:27:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, I thought last month was going to be bad...by the 4th of November I didn't have a single shop scheduled for November BUT...I got hit like a sledgehammer and ended up with a good month. Now I've got so many shops already scheduled for December that I'm probably not going to take any others unless something really spectacular comes along.

GOLD Certificate hxxy4v shopping Orlando, Winter Park, Sanford, Lake Mary, Orange City, Deltona, Deland, Oviedo, Altamonte Springs, FL
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1852 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  8:17:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue, there are a lot of companies that schedule out far in advance. Try signing up with Secret Shopper, Service Intelligence, Infotel, and Reality Check.

It's SO much easier to shop in volume when you have a month's notice. It's better for the company, too, I think. I'll take orphan shops out in the middle of nowhere if I have enough time to schedule something along the way.

dh has said NO SHOPS AFTER THE 15th, but we'll see how he feels once this extremely busy first week is done.

btw, I did the day after Thanksgiving shops and they were WONDERFUL!!! All of my people won, and they were so excited. The longest one took 20 minutes and another 15 to fill out the form. I hope they do them every year .

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

Sandi In San Diego
Trainee

Oceanside, CA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  11:21:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's only Dec. 2 and I've completed 11 shops already for this month. If it slows down around the holidays, the companies I work for forgot to check their emails. Like everyone says, Apply, Apply, Apply. A special thank you to those shoppers who take time off during the holidays. I really need the cash to pay for Christmas and don't mind a little extra work.

Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

.StephanieA
Inactive

Redmond, WA
USA
1816 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  12:25:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have 19 shops scheduled so far for January. And I have a couple more lined up but not sure if I will take them. I wanted to keep December open but of course some of those great shops that are easy to do came up so of course it did not slow down for me.

MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums