Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Does the volume of Mystery Shopping change during the Holiday Season?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

.AngelS
Inactive

Lake Stevens, WA
USA
114 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  01:22:06 AM  Send .AngelS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
StephanieA, I want to ride on your coattails. I only have a couple of shops this week, but nothing else out in the future. I was wanting some good shops to help me out through the holiday season, but I haven't gotten any yet. This is my first year Msing (my fourth month actually) so I am excited to see how my shopping trends will fluctuate.

Angel-
MSPA - Silver Certified Shopper
Shopping the Northwest
Go to Top of Page

BMesa
Contributor

NJ
USA
54 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  06:00:35 AM  Send BMesa an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have about 25 shops for December already, and 10 so far for January. I promised my dh I'd try to slow down a bit for this month, with the holidays and all, but it's hard to say no!

MSPA Silver Certified
Merchandising and Mystery Shopping NJ (emergency and last minute jobs OK!)
Go to Top of Page

MelanieNJ
Star Contributor

NJ
USA
267 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  06:14:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't see that the volume of offers has slowed at all but I know for me, I want to be careful of how many I take. I have a serious fear of driving or being a passenger in a car during a snowstorm and last night I already cancelled my weekend shops because the weathermen can't say how bad it'll be. I think it's going to be a slow 3 or 4 months for me.
Go to Top of Page

ShaneinMich
Star Contributor

near Grand Rapids, MI
USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  06:18:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I average 70 shops per month but November I only did 41 and so far in December only 6 -- YES I said 6! I have just over a dozen for later in the month but that is it. . .I guess that is ok, it will give me time to wrap all my $5.00 reimbursement gifts!

MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping Western Michigan
Go to Top of Page

FroggyCrystal
Valued Contributor

Easley, SC
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  06:18:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have had the same or more shops so far. However, I have had trouble getting them in the same area. I may have one or two due today in town X, and 3 in town Y for tomorrow, then back to town X again the next day. I am grateful for the jobs, but everything has such a limited selection of dates to choose from.

Crystal

Shopping the Upstate of South Carolina.
"I do because I must do something." Mother Theresa
Go to Top of Page

VickiA
Star Contributor

Rapid City, SD
USA
845 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  07:08:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have seven so far this month, most scheduled for this week. I am grateful for anything that comes my way, so I can't complain. It's starting out like last month, which I still made about $350 so I can't really complain. I do hope it picks up soon!

Silver Shopper ID# 3akxzg Shopping Rapid City South Dakota and surrounding areas!
Go to Top of Page

Kim B

Austin, TX
USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  10:24:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
December seems to be slow. I was busy in November but I only have about 10 shops for December. That's okay though I am sure I can find other things to do. Hopefully January will be better.

Kim
GOLD certified - Shopping Central Texas Austin and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page

Paula Kutka
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1671 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  1:12:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Once it gets a little past the Friday after Thanksgiving, I try to stay out of the malls. I do believe the retail mystery shopping will be slower from what I can remember. I also remember from first starting out how I would listen to the experienced shoppers and wonder how they had alot of holiday shopping already done from things bought on shops. I certainly understand what they mean now.

Paula
Gold Certified shopping the Houston/Galveston area and IAH Airport since 2002
Go to Top of Page

KimBie
Star Contributor

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  2:04:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I hope November and December pick up for me.

I received news of an impending death of a friend's mother and planned to drive to NY only to get news the same night she passed that my hubby's uncle died the same day in Florida. How do I accomplish being at two wakes and funerals scheduled for the same day? I fly to NY the morning of the first wake and go to the two sessions that day. I go to morning session #2 in NY, leave a little early, get on a plane to Fla, pick up the car and drive an hour to get to wake #2's night session (although arriving a little late) and then drive an hour and a half to the funeral the following day. Top that with hubby getting a hefty ticket for turning where we weren't supposed to because we weren't familiar with the area. I got my first two "fair" grades for shops I completed before I left so I would not have to cancel any shops at the last minute.

I don't know whether it was the days without the possiblilty of checking for shops or the holidays that are slowing things down. Then again, I applied for many shops that weren't assigned to me for this and next week so maybe that had something to do with it also.

I couldn't imagine doing a retail shop the day after Thanksgiving with all of those people!! Luckily I can complete my shops during the day when a lot of people are at their 9 to 5 jobs.

Hope the shops are plentiful for everyone this holiday season!

Kim
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

MarteeC
Star Contributor

Tampa, FL
USA
1352 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  5:15:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It has been my experience that things DO slow down this time of year, but it could just be that I slow down! I try to avoid the malls and shipping locations-I just can't be paid enough to stand in lines. With four kids, I have so many activities going on this time of year, I cut back. But I also feel that the companies themselves try to cut back as well. They are working on skeletal staffs, and working around inclement weather and their lives too. Many marketing budgets are being depleted by now. They are trying to close out heir shops and prepare to hit the ground running for the new year. Some companies do not want to shop seasonal employees and risk their annual high marks being brought down by a part timer.
Now, I also know some that take on considerably more work this time of year. They pick up the slack of those of us who go into hibernation. Some companies actually rush to use up their budgeted funds. there is something out there for everyone, but it may take longer to complete the shop. It may also take longer to get the shop accepted and to get paid since staffing is low-and bookkeepers always take off during the holidays! Do not expect much work from about 12/20 on. But keep an eye out for early bookings since companies want to have things scheduled before they go and relax for the holidays. So be patient, enjoy the decorations and look forward to a joyous holiday season.
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethJMains

Centennial, CO
USA
25 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  5:55:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have already completed 14 jobs this month, and 5 more for this weekend. I have found it hard to find jobs the end of the month, or December. I have,however, landed two free ski for free while you shop jobs (Pay $90 + free passes!!!) The shops are during what is considered to be "Black out dates" for skiing in Colorado.
I also looked at my records, and I wasn't very busy this time last year either.

Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Michelle1975
Star Contributor

Newton, NJ
USA
549 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  8:49:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
That's it! I'm moving to Colorado. What's the cost of living over there?

I've been dreading the thought of mall shops for December, especially some of the large malls near me. I might try to pick up some choice shops for December, and that's it! But I need to get to it for this month, or no spending cash!

Michelle
MSPA Gold 3knuvj
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1883 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  02:03:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
I couldn't imagine doing a retail shop the day after Thanksgiving with all of those people!!
I love to shop with the hustle and bustle! It's also my experience that the after-Thanksgiving shops pay very well. Like Martee, I slow down in December, too. Pretty much only a couple of companies that I have special affinity for, or shops that pay much better than average. I guess my holiday rate is higher

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

EmiVanek

Morrison, CO
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  06:18:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'd be happy to pick up the jobs that others don't want during the holidays! My Hubby is a first year resident, so his hectic and crazy schedule is actually perfect for me to "shop til I drop". Since most jobs are just as sporadic as his schedule, some are early morning and some are late night and others during the day or last minute, either he watches the kids when he gets home, or my in-laws do, or I try to do them when my oldest is in school. Since he is in kindergarten, it's kind of hard to schedule a bunch of shops then since he is only in school for 2 1/2 hours.

Here's to lots of this holiday season!
Go to Top of Page

Laura
Contributor

Hood River, Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  06:30:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I notice that alot of these posts are from fellow shoppers in the Pacific Northwest so I will have to jump on the bandwagon here too. November and December have been pretty busy months for me as well. However, the closer it comes to Christmas, the less shops I will take. I need to balance my life a bit when it comes to doing my shopping and spending time with family.

Gold Certified in Hood River.
Go to Top of Page

MarNVA
Valued Contributor

VA
USA
106 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  11:31:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been wondering about this since I only started shopping in March. I didn't do much in October because I wasn't seeing many worthwhile offers, but things have picked over the last few weeks. Bring on the bonuses!

MSPA Silver Certified and shopping the Washington, DC metro area.
Go to Top of Page

.StephanieA
Inactive

Redmond, WA
USA
1816 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  3:28:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen it slow down at all. I have done 47 shops for this month alone and here it is only the 13th, I have 20 more planned for the rest of the month hopefully there are no last minute “got to have shops” I'll take. I then have 20 scheduled for December already. And I do have a couple scheduled for the day after turkey day which I do not mind. I think I will stop scheduling anything for after the 17th of December unless it is Restaurant shops so I can unwind a bit before January.

Shopping WA especially, Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue, Woodinville and from Tukwila to Lynnwood.
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

AShuman
Star Contributor

Gastonia, NC
USA
448 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  4:06:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm in a similar situation as StephanieA... as of today, I have completed 28 shops. I have 36 more scheduled for November, as well as about 2 dozen applications in with Sassie users. Plus, I'm already scheduling into December - and I never schedule into the next month until at least the 20th... I'm always afraid of overbooking before I know what is going on family-wise or with my husband's work schedule. Luckily, I picked up a half dozen gas shops and a few coffee shops to fuel my frenzied shopping!

Alison
MSPA Gold 2006
Shopping Greater Charlotte, Gastonia, and the Upstate of SC.
Go to Top of Page

Francine BC
Trainee

Vanderhoof, BC
Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  7:35:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You could not pay me to go into a mall in December. Besides the crowds, the holiday music drives me nuts. I only schedule food and other non-holiday-shopper places. So, more shops for everyone else near me and you are welcome to them.
Go to Top of Page

VickiC
Star Contributor

Placentia, CA
USA
455 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  9:28:48 PM  Send VickiC an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Francine BC

You could not pay me to go into a mall in December.

Amen to that! I was offered a purchase and return for the weekend of Thanksgiving, in a mall, p and r to be done on different days. Hah! Not for 20 dollars I won't!

Shopping North Orange County, Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums