Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Independent Contractor Networking
 Any "networking" relationships with people you met here working out?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MicheleMI

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  08:46:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking....I remember a long time ago, there was a long thread about mystery shopppers in the same area "networking". Well, at that time, I didn't see many Michigan shoppers...also, I wasn't exactly sure how "networking" would work out.

What I want to know is...are there any networking relationships that came out of that thread that have been successful? How does it work, exactly?

ShaneinMich
Star Contributor

near Grand Rapids, MI
USA
495 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  08:59:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I network regularly with three shoppers in my area. We've never met face to face and only email eacother when we see a shop we can't fit in or aren't interested in. I 'met' 2 of them on MSSIC. To me, the $9.00 was worth it. Do you shop for Spies in Disguise? They have a lot in Michigan and seem to be expanding. . .

MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping Western Michigan
Go to Top of Page

ShAndrews
Inactive

Inland Empire, California
USA
480 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  09:42:25 AM  Send ShAndrews an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have two shoppers in my same area, and we all help each other out with shops. Sometimes one of us has an emergency, or cannot accept a shop due to rotation, whatever, but it's nice to know there is backup. Fortunately where we live, there are plenty of shops to go around. However, I do have leg-up on them as I am gold certified and they aren't Just kidding ladies, you know I appreciate your help

Shannon R. Andrews
MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping the Inland Empire, Southern California
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer CinNC

Huntersville, NC
USA
49 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  10:08:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been networking with a wonderful shopper in my state for a few months now. She is in the northern area of the state and I am in the southern. So whenever I come across a shop in her area, I email her immediatley and she does the same for me. We have also been able to help out the companies that we normally work for by referring each other, when they need a shopper. I also network with another shopper that lives in the same city I do, but on opposite ends of the city. Charlotte traffic is horrible, so most times its not worth it for me to drive to her side of town for 1 shop. This arrangement has worked just as well. The icing on the cake is that I have made two great friends, all from just networking! If you get a chance and can network, you will find many many benifits!

Shop 'til you drop in Charlotte, NC and surrounding areas!
MSPA silver cert.#bomhba
Go to Top of Page

.Sharon59
Inactive

Sebastian, FL
USA
89 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  11:34:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have met 2 shoppers through this forum. One lives south of me (too far for me to go), and the other just north - for the most part, too far for me to go. I forward them leads in their area and they do the same for me. One of them I have had the opportunity to meet face to face, the other just via the net. I find it is a big help - sometimes I get the same emails, but if it is a long list of openings, I may miss the one in my area, and vice versa. Also, I think we all have our companies that we religiously check and others not so often, so if we "catch" a job for each other, that helps too! Thanks Laurie and Becky!

Sharon
Shopping the treasure coast of Florida
silver certified 2x9kdv
Go to Top of Page

ChristyJava

Greenville, SC
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  12:42:33 PM  Send ChristyJava an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think this is a great concept! I have never thought about it really. If I wanted to try to network with someone in my state/area what would any of you recommend as the best way to go about it? Shane, I noticed you mentioned meeting fellow shoppers through MSSIC so I will check into that as well. Thanks for any advice and thanks for bringing it up, Michele! I have just started reading the board consistently and I missed it the first time around.

Christy

MSPA Gold Certified - Shopping upstate South Carolina (Greenville, SC and surrounding cities)
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer CinNC

Huntersville, NC
USA
49 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  2:21:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Christy---I read volition for a while and one day I saw a post from another shopper in my city. I emailed her through Volition and we found out where we each lived and from there it just sort of happened. The other girl that I network with saw a post that I had written and she got in touch with me the same way. Looking at how others post on Volition might give you a little insight into their personality as well!

Shop 'til you drop in Charlotte, NC and surrounding areas!
MSPA silver cert.#bomhba
Go to Top of Page

MBailey
Star Contributor

Barksdale AFB, Louisiana
USA
267 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  2:43:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I actually met another shopper at a training for the same set of jobs but we have networked here too. We have become very good friends--kept each others kids, referred each other for projects, etc.
Hi Leah

Melanie
Go to Top of Page

Francesca
Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  6:46:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I saw this topic, I was so excited to tell everyone that YES! You CAN meet people on this board, and you can network very effectively. I planned to mention this fabulous person that I approached strictly based on her geographic desirabilty (not too far, but not in "my" backyard ) but lucky me, turns out that she is smart, quick, witty, commonsensical, and a great sounding board/mentor. Forwarding referrals to each other takes a split second, and she has also given me valuable contact information. Networking has become a really fun and unexpectedly nice side to this business. And p.s. she posted on this same topic! She beat me to it...as usual!

No ifs, ands, or buts...delivered on time and right the first time. Gold Certified.
Go to Top of Page

SherryShopper
Star Contributor

Orlando, FL
USA
490 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  8:28:25 PM  Visit SherryShopper's Homepage  Send SherryShopper an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have also found networking a valuable asset. I have "met" many new shopping buddies on this board and others, as well as on MSSIC. Some shoppers are local in my area, and state, and others are scattered all over the US. We chit-chat, vent, share ideas, share leads. It is a win-win situation.

~*~ Sherry ~*~
sfox@yourwebness.com
MSPA Gold Certified #bzxeut
Shopping:
Orlando, FL and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page

VickiA
Star Contributor

Rapid City, SD
USA
845 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  8:32:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have only met one other shopper from my area so far. We have been emailing, but have yet to "network.."

Silver Shopper ID# 3akxzg Shopping Rapid City South Dakota and surrounding areas!
Go to Top of Page

EidaCook

Columbia, SC
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  10:14:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm in SC and willing to network ChristyJava.....

Eida
Shopping Columbia SC and surrounding ares
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

ChristyJava

Greenville, SC
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  06:49:25 AM  Send ChristyJava an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sounds great, ECook. I got your email this morning and sent you one back. I look forward to talking to you soon! Also, thanks everyone for sharing your networking experiences. It definitely sounds like a worthwhile thing for everyone involved.

Christy

MSPA Gold Certified - Shopping upstate South Carolina (Greenville, SC and surrounding cities)
Go to Top of Page

.Laura in Pa.
Inactive

Sunbury, PA
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  08:04:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I was one of the people who wanted to network when the subject originally came up. I still correspond with two shoppers in the same state and share leads I get with them and they do the same with me.
They are two great people!! We have not met in person but I live at least 300 miles from them
I heard from several other people but for some reason, we did not stay in touch. If anyone in Pa. wants to swap leads or whatever, my offer is still open.I live and shop in Central Pa. but see lots of listings for other parts of the states.

Laura in PA.
Go to Top of Page

Laurie
Valued Contributor

Port Saint Lucie, Florida
USA
108 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  08:16:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm the Laurie in Sharon59's post. I'm so glad we've become e-mail buddies, her knowledge of shopping has gotten me through some rookie rough spots. I wouldn't be where I am today without her help. I also keep in touch with a woman in L.A. I met through Lila's Lounge, she's given me some great tips. I look forward to networking with more shoppers!

MSPA Gold Certified yxelnt
Shopping Florida's Treasure Coast and Palm Beaches
Go to Top of Page

DiannaPhillips
Valued Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
184 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  5:56:38 PM  Visit DiannaPhillips's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am asking for some information about starting a Neworking Group in my area. If you are in such a group, please let me know, even via email. What types of meetings you have, is there a newsletter (via email) that is sent, etc. I have a group of about a dozen or so and we would like to get started soon. Di

Dianna
Triple MSPA Gold Certified
Independent Contractor/Scheduler
Go to Top of Page

AdAora
Star Contributor

Deep in the heart of, TX
USA
3770 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  6:08:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Di,

I have two great buddies here in DFW - the Judy's (MsJudyP and JudyTX). We've met for (non-shop) lunches several times, email each other alerts on available shops and recent postings, and exchange advice and tips. We don't have anything formal like a newsletter. We just email when the need arises. For the lunches, each time one of us chooses a location and we meet there.

It is working out great. Yes, we are in competition because our "territories" overlap, but it is a very healthy one.

Gold certified in TX
Go to Top of Page

Cath
Star Contributor

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  6:39:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have met many wonderful shoppers and schedulers through Volition. Some of them I have even met in person afterwards. It has been a great experience and beneficial to all of us. We also got a group together in our area and met and we hope to set up a second get together. Networking can be key in any business.

MSPA "Go To Shopper" 2006
MSPA Gold Certified, July 2003.
MSPA Gold Certified Shoppers Panel, Washington, DC, November 7, 2003.
Specializing in hotels, resorts and restaurants since 2002.
Go to Top of Page

injeanious Pamela
Star Contributor

Marlton, New Jersey
USA
710 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  8:02:04 PM  Visit injeanious Pamela's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes,yes!!! I have two shoppers I network with. One is in Phila. so generally we shop different areas even though I am just over the bridge in NJ. But we send each other alot of leads and e-mail alot and have become good friends, even have done some dinner shops together. The other lives right around the corner from me. I e-mailed her when I moved to NJ, seeing her name on volition and coincidentally I was moving walking distance from her house. I think at the beginning she was concerned about us competing but for the most part we like different types of jobs so are able to give each other alot of leads. She has a small child so likes to do quicker type jobs and I can do more time consuming jobs and routes. Of course there are some jobs we both like so we only tell each other after we have taken what we want, but I really think it has been very beneficial and nice to have someone to talk to about payment issues and questions, even just fun stories. There are some other shoppers I've met through volition too who have given me good leads or send me links for free things, or even just to chat who don't even live close by so definitely I think networking is great! Of course I would be careful that it is mutual before I would give someone to much info, but in these cases it has been and I've made some new friends too.

MSPA Gold certified
#rjw696. Shopping South Jersey and Philadelphia.
Go to Top of Page

KrisM
Inactive

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  8:21:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Vicki! We're across town from eachother, but the town is quite small. I haven't met or emailed anyone else from my area either. Vicki, we should "network" If you can't do all of those shops you've got, let me know. haha I think it would be a great tool, and with all the other shoppers in the area you'd think we could hook up somehow. I think in the back of our minds we don't want to "share" our shops, and that's why some people don't network.
Go to Top of Page

BlueAbe
Star Contributor

Mid-Central, Ohio
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  8:56:37 PM  Visit BlueAbe's Homepage  Send BlueAbe an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
We did have a couple networking get togethers in Michigan, not sure how they went from there. I've kept a couple good relationships with some ppl I've met before.

I'd like to have another get together for Michigan shoppers sometime in the near future. Last August was fun!

Gold certified since the beginning. Merchandising, Mystery shopping, & Court Research throughout Mid-Central Ohio.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums