Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Independent Contractor Networking
 Any "networking" relationships with people you met here working out?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

TerriKay
Valued Contributor

WI
USA
172 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  6:35:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think it would be great to try networking, but how do you go about finding the other network-ee? I only remember seeing one other person post from Wisconsin, and I don't think he posts any more. Also, I don't think dh would appreciate it if I started emailing another guy!

Any suggestions for how to find another person to network with?

Shopping Central WI
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Dee in AZ
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
663 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  1:34:20 PM  Visit Dee in AZ's Homepage  Send Dee in AZ an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was contacted by a shopper through V (Hi Vicki!!!) a few months ago. It has been a great experience not only in finding another shopper to network with but making a new friend as well. Sometimes it takes a few tries as I had emailed with a few other shoppers and the relationship just didn't take off.

I would suggest watching for posts from someone near you and emailing them. The SI forums also have a member list that is searchable by city. Some of the posters include an email address. You could try locating someone in your area that way too.

Dee
Ardent Services
Go to Top of Page

JudyTX

Kennesaw, GA
USA
44 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  2:21:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
AdAora,Thanks for the kind words.

I am really surprised that no one else in our shopping area meets with us. We post the dates and times on Volition. My new found buddies (MsJudy and AdAora) have only helped me expand my area and knowledge of Mystery Shopping. For me to sit and meet face to face and discuss our business is priceless. No conflicts with shopping areas at all, most companies have rotations. I drove further to meet for the first luncheon then I am willing to drive for shopping assignments.

MSPA GOLD
Go to Top of Page

.PRGVicky
Inactive

Ardmore, Oklahoma
USA
116 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  3:19:41 PM  Visit .PRGVicky's Homepage  Send .PRGVicky an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
I was contacted by a shopper through V (Hi Vicki!!!) a few months ago.
Heyyyyyy back Dee! Yep...I feel like I have known Dee forever and it's only been a few months. Dee has graciously been my mentor in the world of mystery shopping.

I honestly don't feel I would have made it this far or prospered this well without her friendship, the knowledge, and the ins/outs she has shared with me about ms'ing.

Getting to meet in person for the first time at the gold workshop last weekend was fun. I also met a few other awesome Tucson area ladies at the workshop too.

Dee and I network, chat and sometimes just vent to each other through IM'ing on a daily basis. I feel like I know her, the kids, the precious granddaughter, her mom and oh yeah, the furkids too. My hubby is always giving me messages to pass along to Dee too and he thinks it's terrific I've found a shopper friend just 30 miles away.

Meeting Dee and the other area shoppers has certainly taken some of the virtual 'isolation' out of being a mystery shopper.

Vicky Whiteid, Accounts & Scheduling Coordinator
PRGVicky@netcommander.com

Pacific Research Group - http://65.119.21.227/shopper_application/welcome_letter.asp
1-800-755-8055
Go to Top of Page

Dee in AZ
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
663 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  09:56:27 AM  Visit Dee in AZ's Homepage  Send Dee in AZ an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Networking with MsVicky has been a joy! She gives me way too much credit though. She jumped into this business with everything she had. Her hard work and persistance pushed her out of the "newbie" catagory early on. It was easy to introduce her to some of my favorite companies because I could see her dedication from the start. (Plus she was willing to pick up shops in areas I was so sick of traveling too!)

I think networking is all about helping each other succeed. Sure it brings on new competition but the benefits far out-weigh the negatives.

Dee
Ardent Services
Go to Top of Page

Jen_in_MD
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  2:26:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I began networking with some shoppers in my area when we posted about attending an upcoming MSPA Gold workshop. I've truly enjoyed getting to know them. We share leads with each other, and have even taken each other on some of our shops! A few of us have gotten together for dinner on our own (no reports to write!), and we've developed friendships that aren't solely based on MS'ing. It's been wonderful!

MSPA Gold certified: #5bqyg3
Specializing in hotel, spa, and fine dining evaluations throughout MD, DC, and Northern VA
Go to Top of Page

Mimi
Star Contributor

USA
1691 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  3:04:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The first meeting we had here in Houston was great and I met a bunch of my fellow shoppers that evening. The second meeting we had was really strange and some of the shoppers attached the person who got the meeting together. It was very sad, but I guess things like this happen when there are so many personalities involved. However, I defended our coordinator because I felt the shoppers who attached her were way out of line.

Our third meeting is supposed to be tomorrow night. However, the person who coordinated all this to begin with is no longer speaking to me. I have no idea why. Perhaps she feels I am not a worthy shopper. I only do this part time and enjoy the few shops I'm awarded. My concentration is on my husband who has many health problems and is my first priority. As a result, I can't remember who offers what shops, or even what shops I'm signed up to shop. Don't get me wrong, I always do my shops, however, I don't load up on them because I never know when my DH may have to go back into the hospital. Since the person who got all the Houston shoppers together is no longer speaking to me, all I can figure out is...she thinks I'm not an advantage, but a liability. I'm so sorry that I did not measure up to her expectations, however, I was unaware that she had them.

Mimi
Go to Top of Page

Paula Kutka
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1671 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  1:30:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mimi, This is the first I have seen your post under this section. There never was a third meeting. I was sick for two weeks with Bronchitis and then one of my dogs went blind in one eye and had two surgeries with the second being eye removal surgery. From what I recall, I sent you an email and you never responded back and then you took me off of your joke list while you continued to send it to other shoppers. I just didn't worry about it when I didn't hear from you. So that's the story Nora and Bonnie in Burbank. Things aren't always what people think. No 3rd meeting, a case of bronchitis and eye removal surgery.......go figure that.

Paula
Gold Certified shopping the Houston/Galveston area and IAH Airport since 2002
Go to Top of Page

GailGibbsYoung
Star Contributor

Salem, OR
USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  12:30:18 PM  Visit GailGibbsYoung's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks to the Volition chat room, I started networking with fellow shoppers shortly after I started shopping.

Originally it was just four of us in the Washington, D.C. area, but soon our network grew to include others around the country.

Those of us who are close have met face to face in our various areas, and though we lost one to a job transfer, we still keep in touch via Volition.

Now, I am the one moving, and the good news is that I will meet some of our group on my trip west, and the bad news is that I will no longer be able to visit with my friends in my current area, of whom I have become very fond.

Fortunately, we will all stay in touch thanks to the wonders of the Internet and cheap air fares....LOL!

Networking is a great way to set up a support group that not only helps with Mystery Shopping but in other areas of ones life as well.

MSPA GOLD CERTIFIED dejlg4
Go to Top of Page

Cindy in Indiana
Star Contributor

South Bend, IN
USA
277 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  05:19:10 AM  Send Cindy in Indiana an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I talked to a few ladies from Indiana for a short time. After awhile, the emails back and forth died off.

Cindy
MSPA Gold Certified #hp4ksf

Happily shopping Northern Indiana and Southwestern Michigan since 2000.
Go to Top of Page

MsJudyP
Star Contributor

Dallas, TX
USA
1124 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  11:07:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey Judy and Ada!
The three of us have a great thing going! We get together once a month for lunch and chat. We are able to give each other leads and heads up on job listings. We are all pretty much in different areas of the metroplex so it works out great. Even if we do overlap,I would gladly give up a shop to either of these ladies any time!
We have posted before and tried to get more Dallas/ Ft Worth shoppers together,but no one else seems to be interested.
Thats okay. Us Three Amigos seem to be doing just fine.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex and beyond!
Go to Top of Page

Dani-Tigger
Star Contributor

The Villages, Florida
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  11:58:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would love to find someone to network with. I only MS part time because of a busy work schedule but see jobs in my area and some a little further away all of the time. It would be so nice to be able to recommend someone to my schedulers when they're trying to get a job completed but I either can't because I'm busy or don't want to drive that far for one job. Or even just someone to pass leads on to when I see work in their area. It seems like it'd be such a great situation, especially since, as someone else pointed out, we don't all like the same shops and there is a rotation on most of them.

~Tigg~
Bouncing with my Bunny in Central Florida
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

MechelleNga
Valued Contributor

GA
USA
199 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  11:21:04 AM  Visit MechelleNga's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I haven't met anyone (as of yet). But maybe this is another thread topic. I went on an apartment shop and met someone I went to school with.......28 YEARS AGO! The ironic thing is, I'm from Ohio! I gotta admit, she looked the same, with maybe just a few, extra pounds.

Mechelle
Go to Top of Page

RobinH

MI
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  03:40:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What exactly is "networking"? Someone goes on shops in your place
Go to Top of Page

Laura Harms
Contributor

DeKalb, IL
USA
90 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  09:12:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Robin
I think what they are talking about is sharing leads. Maybe there is a shop that you can't do because of a prior committment, so you e-mail the lead to your friend who lives nearby so she can have the opeeortunity.

I do this with my sister, she is a very part time MSer and pretty much only takes what I can't do, so if I get an e-mail for a job that I am out of rotation on or can't work in I send her a link to check it out.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Laura

Laura Powell
Independent Editor, Scheduler, Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Barbara N.CA
Star Contributor

San Francisco, CA
USA
2397 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  12:40:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sharing leads is part of it. Learning from each other is another. Helping each other is yet another component. So is recommending a good shopper to a scheduler or company.

I found my shopping mentor (and a dear friend) on Volition.

Barbara
MSPA Gold Shopper since June, 2003.
MSPA 2005 "Go To" Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Ang Harris
Valued Contributor

Maryland
USA
239 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  05:45:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I met someone at the MSPA conference in Wash. D.C. back in 2003. She lives in Connecticut I live in Maryland. We just clicked right away and remained friends. We talk all the time; we exchange job leads and single mom survival skills. Long distance networking works for me.
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethV
Apprentice

Bay City, OR
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  10:49:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had to brow beat my daughter into signing up with a company I work with so that there will be a rotation at a local shop. I'm so rural that there are not many shoppers willing to come here for one or 2 opportunities per month. At least I will be able to network with her. Although I would love to meet other shoppers to compare notes and learn more about what I am doing. I do wish there were more opportunities closer to me.

Silver Certified. Shopping North Oregon Coast and Inland
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
Valued Contributor

MD
USA
136 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  1:29:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A shopper from this forum emailed me a couple of months ago, when I first posted in Job Alerts. I don't mind learning and reviewing new and old things about MSing, which improves my work. We have shared many leads and tips for each other, and besides that, we talk about other things outside MSing. I enjoy how she is fun and interesting to be around via online. We are planning to go on a shop together soon, I hope. I also got started on replying another shopper who wrote to me first, and she is from AZ. There was one other shopper I emailed who had emailed me back a couple of times, then it got staled. Oh well
Go to Top of Page

Mariya

Collierville, TN
USA
40 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  10:53:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I know there are lots of shoppers in ontario(I see how quick assignments picked up) but no one is interested in networking ....ne ways u lucky guys enjoy.

Maria
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums