Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueAbe
Star Contributor

Mid-Central, Ohio
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  10:49:28 PM  Visit BlueAbe's Homepage  Send BlueAbe an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
After having triple A for a year, I can't help but wonder if it's really worth that $60/year. You only get towed 3 miles, otherwise it's $2.50/mile payable to the tow truck. You get 4 tows a year. The only benefit it seems that is good is the 10% discount at motels. However some motels say that there are no more rooms available at the 10% discounted rate and you have to pay full price.

Wouldn't it be better to get the roadside assistance from the insurance company than Triple A?

Gold certified since the beginning. Merchandising, Mystery shopping, & Court Research throughout Mid-Central Ohio.

BCheatam
Star Contributor

IN
USA
290 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  5:48:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have the "high option" AAA and it costs $100. yearly. But it pays for a 100 mile tow if needed. One of the main reasons I like AAA is the free maps. I go into the office (or go on the internet) and get maps of some of the major cities I MS in. I do Indianapolis a lot and wear out 6-8 maps a year. They don't charge a member for these.
The 10% discount doesn't mean a whole lot; if you ask a motel/hotel for their best rate, you usually get the same price.
And remember, with other roadside assistance companies you pay at time of service and get reimbursed. With AAA you pay nothing!

Silver Certified Mystery Shopper & Auditor in Central and Southern Indiana.
Go to Top of Page

LindJorg
Star Contributor

Tacoma, WA
USA
921 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  5:52:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have the high option also which covers me and my hubby. You can receive a discount for other stuff as an AAA member at stores/admissions to zoos, etc. so go on their site and check it out. I get the maps for vacations and their guides every year.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

.Chef Noel
Inactive

Georgetown, Texas
USA
290 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  07:03:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's worth the $60 or $100 a year membership.

I have roadside assistance on both my truck and car with GENERAL MOTORS. Never pay a cent when they come to tow me or perform a service like lockout. They tow you to the nearest OPEN GM dealer which could be 200 miles away and there is no charge. All I do is sign a service ticket. The cost is only $49.95 a year.

As to road maps, I get all the maps I need free from the visitor information stations when entering a state.

Noel
Go to Top of Page

LindJorg
Star Contributor

Tacoma, WA
USA
921 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  8:00:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
mY Saturn came with 5 years roadside assistance BUT remember AAA doesn't cover your vehicle,,,,it covers you so if you are travelling with someone and you need towing.....it is covered....or you run out of gas. My girlfriend locked her keys in ther car and I called AAA...they sent a locksmith right out.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Heather86
Star Contributor

Bourbonnais (S. of Chicago), IL
USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  4:05:11 PM  Visit Heather86's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
We did not have AAA, only towing after an accident through insurance. Our friends were with us in my car when it decided to die on the side of a country road while we were garage saling. They called, my car was given a jump and then we went and got a new battery.

That night we got AAA for ourselves. 3 days after I got it, the car dies again (at work). AAA tows it to the place of my choice within 5 miles. 1 week later, it brakes down again. I wanted to take it to a different place where my friend worked on that type of car. Too far away, so it had to go back to the place that couldn't fix it the first time.

We upgrade to the premium package (and a premium car). I now have a Toyota Prius. I need that car to be taken to the nearest Toyata dealer if it needs repairs. While I have not needed it since I got my new car (over a year ago). It is worth it to me for the peace of mind.

If you have an older car that has a higher likelyhood of needing AAA, it pays for itself with one call. If you have a car where it can only be worked on at certain places (even the oil must be changed at the dealers) - go for the premium package.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  05:06:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One thing I love about AAA is that you are covered no matter whose car you are driving. They cover "you" as a driver, not your car. So, if you borrow your neighbor's car and need a tow, you can get it.

I have the high option plan and I love it. AAA has always provided excellent service. It is such a comfort to know that they will be reliable. Once my husband needed a tow and the tow driver was delayed. After waiting about 1-1/2 hours (and he was in a bad neighborhood) he accepted a tow from another tow truck. The cost was $70.00. AAA reimbursed the $70 very promptly.

Years ago I was towed because the tow truck driver thought I had mechanical problems. It turned out to be that someone had syphoned my gas. AAA reimbursed me the small fee I had to pay the tow truck driver because he should have been able to determine what my problem was.

Also, your AAA membership can be used to get 20% off prescription drugs (a feature that I did not know existed for quite a while). It has been a long time since I have used this feature so I am not sure if it still exists.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums