Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

FranS
Star Contributor

Estero, FL
USA
461 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  05:13:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This weekend I watched the film "Little Miss Sunshine." It was hyped as being terrific by all the award shows and critics alike. It was downright awful. Despite having some fine actors in it, the script appeared to be written by a 15-year-old (no offense to the teens out there!) and the acting was mediocre at its best.

I asked a neightbor what she liked and she said, "That a dysfunctional family could come together at the end and pull for each other."

I guess that is not enough for me when the storyline is pathetically weak and the dialog is boring. I kept waiting for it to get better. It didn't - yet it is winning all these awards. I ownder if the critics get paid a lot to hype a movie and let the gullible watchers out there pay good money for bad. There are too many out there. I know some people liked it but it was no "great" movie.

FranS
Silver Certified

MargeI
Star Contributor

Middletown, MD
USA
900 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  07:16:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I REALLY liked that movie. I guess that's what makes horse racing, as my dad always said.

It was a black comedy -- more tragic than comic, but the characters were very real and very affecting. I still remember it, and it's been some months since I saw it.

I thought the acting was brilliant, and the plot, while silly, was amusing and moved along.

Now -- the movie I thought was just awful this year was "Happy Feet." I mean, the penguins are cute, but once you've seen them dance and sing, you've pretty much seen the movie. When I saw it, the little kids were all climbing on the railings because they were so bored.
Go to Top of Page

TBennis
Star Contributor

WI
USA
639 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  07:31:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have not yet seen this movie. However, I do think the determination of a "great" movie is in the eye of the movie watcher. Everyone has a different view of what is great.

Tiffany
Go to Top of Page

Michelle1975
Star Contributor

Newton, NJ
USA
549 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  7:17:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I HATED HATED HATED HATED HATED HATED "Little Miss Sunshine". It was the most stupid movie I have seen in a very long time--and most current movies are stupid. The guy who wrote it won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. That really says something. When I was in college I thought you had to have writing talent to win an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. I was wrong.

I completely agree that it was touted as one of the year's great movies, so expectations were high. But actually, it was a student film, at best. Also, on the DVD, there were 3 alternate endings, so who knows how the story is supposed to go?
Go to Top of Page

DanielleHolland

Calgary, AB
Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  12:00:15 PM  Visit DanielleHolland's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I thought Little Miss Sunshine was an excellent film.

As to the DVD ending options, the film was meant to end the way it did in the actual complete film. Extra features are simply extra features and are for fun and to provide alternate opinions.

Danielle Holland
Service Intelligence - Scheduling Florida Grocery and Retail Shops
Go to Top of Page

Sofia

Argentina
15 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  6:17:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen "Little Miss Sunshine". It doesn't really appeal to me, even though everyone's been raving about it. Bah, I'll probably rent it someday just to see what the big deal is about.

Anyway, a "great" movie that I thought was awful is "Lawrence of Arabia". It was so boring I couldn't finish watching it.

Sofía
Go to Top of Page

Donnabella
Star Contributor

Peoria, AZ
USA
369 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  9:36:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My husband and I rarely have seen any film that has been nominated for the Academy Award, at least lately. Many years ago, we decided to rent one and see what the buzz was all about.....PULP FICTION!!!

Oh my! I believe it won many awards and I HATED IT! Didn't get it at all.....maybe I just wasn't hip....but BOY!! That reinforced my view that most of the award-winning movies of late are probably not worth it....I do like some of them....but the out there ones....Not So Much!

Donna
Shopping the Metropolitan Phoenix Area
Go to Top of Page

Arlene_HI
Star Contributor

Lawai, HI
USA
676 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  8:55:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The Constant Gardner zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Go to Top of Page

Wendy G
Star Contributor

Park Ridge, IL
USA
284 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  8:03:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lawrence of Arabia is my husband's favorite movie, he is part Arabic. So it has special meaning to him. I found it fascinating as well.

Pulp Fiction was really fun to watch in my opinion.

I belong to Netflix and that is the best way to find many different movies. There are many movies I wouldn't have watched without Netflix that I have recommended to others.

The worst "great" movie for me? I'm not sure, but I'm sure there have been many of them.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Andi
Star Contributor

FL
USA
740 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  3:18:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hubby and I enjoyed "Little Miss Sunshine". It was quirky, yet
entertaining. I certainly liked it more than "Napoleon Dynamite".

If I never see "The English Patient" again, it will be too soon!

Andi
MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping Central Eastern Florida
Go to Top of Page

Sofia

Argentina
15 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  5:55:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I fell asleep during The English Patient but I loved Napoleon Dynamite and Pulp Fiction!
Go to Top of Page

Michelle1975
Star Contributor

Newton, NJ
USA
549 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  9:37:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
As to the DVD ending options, the film was meant to end the way it did in the actual complete film. Extra features are simply extra features and are for fun and to provide alternate opinions.

I beg to differ.

Filmakers do not waste time and money to create alternate endings, alternate trailers, and deleted scenes (i.e., what becomes DVD extras) for the sake of fun and opinions. It's for profitability: whatever ending is the most well-received during test marketing is the ending that goes into the original. The non-sequitor ending of the family getting up on stage to dance with the little girl was about profitability. The plot of the movie began with realistic characters who had geniune conflicts with each other. But, during the last third of the movie, the plot devices fall apart and the "true" ending is what is known among writers as taking the easy way out. If Olive, the lovely and intelligent little protaginist, had ultimately morphed into a Jonbenet Ramsey or Paris Hilton the film would have been a hard-hitting tragedy, and would have effectively held up a mirror to the American subculture of child beauty pageants. If that were the case, Little Miss Sunshine would have deserved the awards that it won, but would neither make as much money as it did nor would have reached the popularity that it did.

Which is why I hated this movie so much. The filmmakers took an important social topic to portray, but were too cowardly to take any risks. (Although I do appreciate the fact that child actors should not act in scenes that are too adult in nature.) Little Miss Sunshine started out as a good drama and an excellent social critique but failed miserably with its Disney-esque ending.
Go to Top of Page

Peter T. Sanderson
Valued Contributor

Pawley's Island, SC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  08:54:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw 2 this weekend that I enjoyed but were not up to the hype.

The Reader
The reviews of this on Amazon are like:
"A profoundly moving and intellectual masterpiece...,"
"A Brilliant and Profound Film,"
"Engrossing and Captivating~ A MUST See!"

Not quite. It was interesting, but not a masterpiece. That is an insult to masterpieces.

Slumdog Millionaire
"Epic. Touching. Horrifying. Romantic. Uplifting., "
"This breakthrough film is a true global masterpiece!, "
"Magical story telling in vivid, rich details"

Really? An uneducated nerd and his dirtbag brother live on the streets and the nerd thinks he is in love with the only girl he has even met. All told in flashbacks.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  4:02:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't think Pulp Fiction was a bad movie. To me it was well-acted and very disturbing. It gave me nightmares.

I agree The English Patient was very boring.

I walked out of The Bad Lieutenant, on the premise that I had wasted my money. I did not need to waste my time, as well. The rough sex that was almost rape was not my idea of entertainment.

Another that gave me nightmares (intentionally) ruined one of my favorite songs was A Clockwork Orange. It was originally released as X rated due to the violence, but as standards changed it became R rated. I think X is more appropriate.

Same with Caligula. Why would anyone want to watch that? At least A Clockwork Orange had a somewhat socially redeeming message.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

FranS
Star Contributor

Estero, FL
USA
461 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  7:14:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There was another film - name escapes me but Paul Giamonte was in it - that was an Oscar winner - about two guys who go to wine country before (I think) an upcoming wedding. Man, they raved about that one. 15 mins into it and I was out like a light! Best sleep I had that year.

We get all our movies free at the library as soon as they come out on DVD. That way I don't feel so bad turning them off when they are horrible. (like the 'Crank' movies!)

FranS
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  02:14:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I believe that was Sideways. I thought it was pretty good and I loved Pulp Fiction.
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  9:22:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to get out more. The only one of thest films I've ever heard of is Little Miss Sunshine & I saw that on TV not too long ago. It was OK.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  1:20:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Remember all the hype that the Blair Witch Project got? What in the world was that all about? If that wasn't the most ignorant stupid production I have ever seen in my life outside of Plan 9 from Outer Space which is the worst movie of all time. In fact, it is so bad that it is great and has a cult following now.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  10:00:23 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have concluded that as soon as I see the logo on a box saying the movie got an award from the "Toronto Intl Film Fest" I should avoid the movie. I've gotten burned too many times. I watch till the end thinking that if this movie got an award, it must have some great point. They never do.

Last night I watched "Wendy and Lucy." Not a bad movie, but basically Wendy does something stupid, which gets her dog Lucy lost and then for the rest of the movie, she walks around yelling "Lucy, here Lu! Here girl!" looking for the dog. The box shows awards from 3 different film festivals.

Go to Top of Page

Kathie Rost
Contributor

Murrieta, CA
USA
61 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  7:17:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
"Men who stare at goats" was pretty bad, George Clooney's presence notwithstanding........although I did laugh out loud several times, which is worth SOMETHING.

Kona Kathie
Go to Top of Page

MattMS
Star Contributor

Genoa, Illinois
USA
360 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  08:16:18 AM  Send MattMS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just saw "Men Who Stare At Goats" Friday at work. Wow, yeah, I agree it was, ?odd? There were definitely funny parts, but I hate when a film takes 2 funny parts, runs that as it's trailers, and then the rest of the movie is not at all a comedy, is something different!

And it is all in the eye of the beholder. One of my favorite movies of all time is "Down Periscope"! I know it's nothing "deep" or anything, but I just love to watch and laugh!

Matthew - shopping North Central & North West Illinois
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums