Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  3:44:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this counts as a *great film* but when I was eleven years old this movie called "My Dinner with Andre" came out. My parents saw it like five times, went on and on about and finally talked me into seeing it.
Basically if you've never heard of it its about these two guys who had dinner and one is named Andre (later I saw one of them in the Princess Bride, much better movie). Anyhow - I ended up walking out of it and sitting in the car, which I found more entraining.
One of these days I'll rent this movie and see if maybe, as an adult, I can understand its appeal. But maybe not.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  7:44:46 PM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just watched "The Hurt Locker." I expected it to be a preachy anti-war movie, but it actually had no message, no plot and not much acting or action. And what action there was in it was very unbelievable that it could even be allowed to happen in the real world.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  9:25:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think this is kind of funny - to this day my husband is really scared of "The Blair Witch Project" and swears up and down that it was real. While I enjoyed it in the theater - it was good but not that good. But just the mention of it freaks him out.

I personally hated "Star Wars"....I don't get all the hype around it.
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
Star Contributor

Philadelphia, PA
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  07:21:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to agree about Pulp Fiction. I'm too far from that drug culture to "get it".
Clockwork Orange is one that can stay stuck in my head for days after watching it. Aside from the violence, it offers a very interesting opinion of the "human condition."
And I just saw an early screening of "You Don't Know Jack" this past week. I wasn't expecting much but that was an excellent movie! The director took me through an entire spectrum of emotions and left me thinking about what would I do in some of those situations. And Al Pacino played that part so incredibly well... not that I expected anything less from him!
Go to Top of Page

Jody B
Valued Contributor

Mankato, MN
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  07:48:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
"The Blair Witch Project" was such an intense movie to watch in the theater. I seriously don't think anyone breathed during the last moments of the film.

But to watch it here at home would be disappointing. It's really a group movie in my mind.

Jody
Shopper in Southern Minnesota-the Little Twin Cities-A Lot Minnesota (Mankato) and beyond
Now Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Bea Frey
Contributor

Portland, OR
USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  5:33:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just watched "The Fountain"

Online review: Science fiction and romance collide in The Fountain, the ambitious third feature from director Darren Aronofsky (Pi, Requiem for a Dream), who labored for four years to complete this epic-sized love story that stretches across centuries and galaxies.

Reality: Boring and Crazy. It just jumps around in 3 different timelines, with nothing connecting them and not much reason given for any of it.
Go to Top of Page

Paul M. Dire

Laredo, TX
USA
21 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  11:17:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We watched "Crazy Heart" which the reviews say "Jeff Bridges gives one of his finest in Crazy Heart."

Really, I hope for his sake he has made better movies than this mess.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  12:12:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
"Plan 9 from outer space" by Edward Wood is without a doubt the worst movie of all time and, therefore, extremely entertaining. It has become a cult classic. And, also, see the movie "Ed Wood" starring Johnny Depp. It was a really good movie and gave insight to the director and the quirky ways he would complete scenes, etc, which makes Plan 9 even more entertaining. He actually took some aluminum pans, hung from string, and they were supposed to be flying saucers. You can actually see the string in the movie. How awful is that?

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  09:39:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm going to take back my not liking 'The Godfather' because, while I do like the book much, MUCH better I found a way to enjoy the movie...I ate pizza, drank wine while reading the book and watching the movie. I'd read a while, stop reading, watch the movie and eat, etc. That way I could follow the movie better (I would get the characters mixed up in the movie but not in the book)...anyhow maybe I'm weird but it worked.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  09:41:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen "Little Miss Sunshine" mostly because I can't stand most child actors. I don't know why but their voices irritate me.....even in Gone With the Wind I find Bonnie Blue Butler soooooo annoying that I've left the theater for a few minutes instead of hearing her voice.
Go to Top of Page

Kathie Rost
Contributor

Murrieta, CA
USA
61 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  11:27:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Whatever you do, don't see "the American", just out with George Clooney. Boring, tedious, the only good thing was the scenery (including George.) People next to us walked out, we kept hoping it would get better!

Kona Kathie
Go to Top of Page

Vickie M
Star Contributor

Tampa, FL
USA
391 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  10:32:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I know lot's of people who just rave about how wonderful Casablanca was but me and my husband both just really disliked it (I try to limit my use of the word "hate").

For her to want to be with Rick who was such an "ass" when she had this remarkable husband who was helping people is beyond me. I was glad she got on the plane and left.

I told my husband that the people who love this movie must be the ones who sit around "pineing" for their lost loves.

Vickie M
GOLD Certified-x3woio
Shopping Tampa & Brandon Florida
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  2:14:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just saw the Avengers. I almost fell asleep and could not wait for it to be over. I prefer movies with a little more story and less beat 'em up, kill 'em, etc.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  08:22:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Juanita, go see John Carter. It is based on the Edgar Rice Burroughs' book, The Princess of Mars, with a few bits from later books in the Mars series. It was extremely well-done, even if the execs didn't advertise it at all. I am hoping they make sequels, using the same actors who did a fabulous job. It's just amazing to realize that book was written before 1900. Burroughs is among my very favorite authors and I think the movie did it justice.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  10:32:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, thanks for the tip. I mentioned it to my husband and he said he had heard of the movie and had read the book. Edgar Rice Burroughs is also one of his favorite authors. We have a whole collection. (He said Edgar did not write very good westerns, though.)

I watched the trailer and it does look interesting. I'll let you know after I see it.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Vickie M
Star Contributor

Tampa, FL
USA
391 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  12:02:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't know if there will be any sequels to John Carter. From what I've read the Disney studios lost millions on this and the CEO/President of the studio resigned because of it. I haven't seen it so I'm only going by what I read online and in the papers.

Vickie M
GOLD Certified-x3woio
Shopping Tampa & Brandon Florida
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  2:07:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Vickie, it has been my experience that the movies that are panned as not being any good are the ones I like. And, the ones they over-hype are the ones that stink in my opinion. Like the Blair Witch Project. That was supposed to be scary and I almost laughed though it. I couldn't stand Avatar, or the Avengers.

So, it if got bad reviews, I will probably love it!

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  2:34:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My husband keeps up on anything related to the comic book world, being the owner of a comic book store. Many of Burroughs' works have been made into comics over the years, so he's stayed on top of this. He knows many more details than I do, but here's a short synopsis of what I know:

There was a change in leadership at the studio. Usually when that happens anything that the old regime was starting is nixed and people always wonder why such and such was hyped, then never made. The theory is that the new leadership doesn't want the old regime getting credit for good stuff that is released under the new guy's watch--and doesn't want to be blamed for any bad stuff that may have come out of the old. Doesn't matter what the project is--the risk is not one they want to take.

John Carter was nearing the end of production and too much money had been sunk into the project to kill it, so they finished it and didn't advertise it. There were no action figures, no fast food toys, no companion books or comics, no t-shirts, etc. They made very little use of trailers in the theaters, on tv or on-line.

This film has made a huge amount of money for the studio overseas, but not so much in the USA. They have lost no money--just didn't make as much as they did on the films they advertised. Because it has done so well overseas, the studio is considering a sequel. Whether it will happen, I can't predict, but I can hope.

I just know I found the movie well-cast, the acting fantastic, the plot cohesive, the special effects well-done and believeable. Even the CGI, which I often find distracting and annoying, was done well and melded into the live action fairly seamlessly. And it would be easy to move on through the series of books with what they have done so far.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  2:13:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I just watched John Carter. Now that was an enjoyable movie. It had a little of everything, a good story, action, twists and turns, surprises, a little humor...it was fun to watch. Even my husband stayed awake to watch the whole thing...that says a lot. I got a little worried at the end. It looked like it would have a good ending, then things turned ugly, and then it had a good ending afterall. What a relief!

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  3:05:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Now it is time to go back and re-read the book, right?

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums