Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HeatherShops
Star Contributor

Lake Placid, NY
USA
277 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  5:11:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What do you think of your cable connection? What do you have and why?
I am thinking of changing to DSL just to save a few bucks!

Cindy in Indiana
Star Contributor

South Bend, IN
USA
277 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  5:56:48 PM  Send Cindy in Indiana an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have cable and love it! It's quite a bit faster than my friend's DSL connection, but it's quite a bit more money too. Since I work from home, it's most important to me that I have a fast, reliable connection. Also, I can deduct part of the cost of the service on my taxes.

Cindy
MSPA Gold Certified #hp4ksf

Happily shopping Northern Indiana and Southwestern Michigan since 2000.
Go to Top of Page

MargeI
Star Contributor

Middletown, MD
USA
900 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  6:29:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The thing is, there's a lot of variability too. I have DSL at home. I live less than a mile from the phone company "local office" (the little building where the DSL comes out of) and I get a really good speed connection. I have had zero problems with reliability, and the price is great.

Now, my office is about 7-8 miles away. We have cable modem through the local cable TV company. The connection is slow, balky, and goes out pretty frequently. It's frustrating to us because DSL is not available, and we haven't researched other choices.

And I keep seeing these ads on TV for the same cable company bragging about how much faster their connections are than DSL. And I laugh, every time they play them!

So I would suggest asking people in your own area what they have and whether they happy. If your next door neighbor loves their DSL, you'll probably love yours.

Good luck in your search.
Go to Top of Page

HeatherShops
Star Contributor

Lake Placid, NY
USA
277 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  7:35:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was just on Google and a company runs a special as a starter package I can get basic DSL (20 times faster than dial-up) for $19.99 for 12 months OR the Super (80 times faster than dial-up) deal package for $29.99 for 12 months. I may try it....
Go to Top of Page

AniBen
Valued Contributor

AR
USA
144 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  7:43:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have satellite. I have had DSL previously. To me they both run about the same. Most people say that the sat. is faster. Sometimes it is and sometimes not.

All I know is, I HATE dial up. I have never had cable internet.

When I had DSL it was in a package with my phone company and the satellite is the same price.
Go to Top of Page

FranS
Star Contributor

Estero, FL
USA
461 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  06:55:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love the cable internet but in Florida, when there are lightning stoms (and worse!), cable (and phone) lines go out. I love the cable but have heard it is easily hacked. (I supposed nowadays everything is easily hacked, even the gov't!). Get a firewall whatever you select.

I like turning on the computer and having the mail and internet right there. No extra motions.

I am not happy that Roadrunner and Comcast have merged and I will have to change my email address. Apparently in some areas, Comcast will be dominant and in others RR will be.

FranS
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  11:42:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We have Roadrunner, and, have been very pleased with it. We had dial-up with AT&T before, and, had trouble getting connected sometimes,....

...didn't know about the Roadrunner/Comcast merger....
Go to Top of Page

DavidWMiller

Monroeville, PA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  09:16:55 AM  Visit DavidWMiller's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I use cable and love it. Plus I added Vonage for my phone service and SAVE A TON of money each month. My phone bill averaged $85 a month. With cable internet and vonage I pay $60 as opposed to $145 a month. Plus I get all 24 features of phone service FREE and call Europe for 0.02 a minute, canada for free!!!
long live cable internet and vonage !!!

David W. Miller
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  2:37:39 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
When these companies advertise 20 times faster than dialup, dont even think about signing on. I had cable, and wished I wouldnt have given it up, even tho, I experienced ocassional problems. I now have satellite and think its almost as bad as dialup! There are times it is VERY slow to connect/disconnect, youd think you were on dialup. Downloads take forever, and printing is another thing again. Here the satellite is close to the same price as the Cable connection, so I dont feel as tho Ive saved anything at all. The only convenience I see is, I can move my computer to any room in the house , take the small modem with and plug it in to an electrical outlet and Im set. I can also take the modem with me on trips and do the same thing and again Ive got service. Cable limited my desire for change in scenery as I like to change my rooms around..lol. I had to move the cable each time I wanted to change rooms. DSL is great if you live within shouting distance of the phone company, the further away you get, the slower the service.
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  3:17:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The last dial up service that we had was PeoplePc. It
was slower than molasses and kept disconnecting.We now
have Suddenlink.As a package deal we get fairly good
rates on cable,phone and internet.At first there were
some quirks that needed to be ironed out.Now we are
very satisfied with the service.

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  10:36:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have DSL and I miss Roadrunner (beep beep) like mad. DSL is ok but is much slower. Verizon gave mea good deal and lowered the price cuz I called them and told I was changing. HAH!
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  3:54:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have Comcast Cable and I love it. Every once in a while there is a problem and it might go out for an hour but they get repairs done quickly. It has only happened a couple of times in years. Some of my friends have DSL but they are not happy with it. It goes out on a regular basis and is not as fast as cable. DSL has only become available in my area fairly recently and even they will admit they don't have all the wrinkles ironed out.

I also have dial up as a back up on another computer. I never want to be without a computer.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2013 :  04:38:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am going to switch again from Roadrunner to something else. I am doing research on ISP's. I am going to try Vonage again to see if it works any better than the last time I used it. I had troubles with it before but that was 2005.

Any suggestions on ISP's? TIA!
Go to Top of Page

Janice-NoVA
Star Contributor

Reston, Virginia
USA
300 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2013 :  2:52:25 PM  Send Janice-NoVA an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
If FIOS is available in your area I heartily endorse it. We have used Comcast but much prefer Verizon FIOS for reliability.

Janice Porter
Shops Northern Virginia, Maryland and DC
Gold Certified June 2003
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  08:30:10 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, the only way Vonage will work great is if you have high speed internet cable. I recently switched from a satellite provider that came highly recommended for the speeds and their phone service prices. When this company decided to change their services, (eliminate the phone service)I called Vonage and was assured Vonage would work great. The modem arrived, and it didnt take long for me to decide this wasnt for me. All too many times the calls were broken up with dead spots in the conversations. Id hear part of a conversation and have to try and figure out what I had missed in order to respond. I called Vonage to find the cause, it was then they said that their service doesnt work well with satellite providers, or with service less dependable than high speed internet cable. I decided to end my services with the comapny and switch to AT&T for both telephne and internet. I have NEVER had so much trouble with billing in my life! Instead of the promotion plan I had selected, I ended up paying full price, and couldnt get the problem resolved with customer service. I ended up filing two complaints with the BBB in order to get the mess straightened out. I was able to get a full refund on those additional fees. After this fiasco, I switched back to high speed cable and got both internet and unlimited phone for less, and have been happy since, and no more problems.
Go to Top of Page

FayEF
Valued Contributor

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  07:41:12 AM  Visit FayEF's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Which company did youhave the billing problems with, ATT or Vonage?
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  11:02:30 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
AT&T was the culprit. I ordered a special promotion for half price for one yr. The installer came, and believe me, thankfully, my son came home while this installation was being done. The guy was having so much trouble, he had to run down the street to the box several times. Got that finally straightened out after my son explained how to fix the problem. The very first bill came and it was almost $300. I didnt think too much about it figuring the first month and second month to be required. The next month the bill, and all after were $208. The special was both high speed internet and unlimited calling tel. service for $59.99 per month. Upon reading the statements I found I was paying for each long distance call on top of regular monthly charges instead of the special promo fees. I called customer service many times to clear it up. Then the next bill would come. Same-o Same-o high fees. I was afraid to cancel my service as I was afraid it would be more difficult to get my money credited back. I wrote to the Better Business Bureau and filed a complaint. The next day, I received a phone call from corporate saying theyd look into it. The very next day, she called back and gave me full credit for the overages. She explained their customer service department was located in India and evidently, werent trained properly. Feeling vindicated, I was thrilled. It wasnt two months later and I received a bill for breaking contract for that particular service. Called customer service and got nowhere. I again filed another BBB complaint. I told them there had never been mention of a contract. Again, shed look into it, called me the next day, and refunded me that plus more overcharges. I did get stuck paying $100 for the modem, and partial payment for the installation, because I hadnt cancelled my service within the 30 days they provided. I would NEVER recommend AT&T to anyone. Others in my town went throught the same experience and I recommended they file a complaint with the BBB. I had noticed several AT&T modems for sale on Craigslist and wrote an email asking if they had experienced problems with their service. I got pretty much the same experiences from all.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums