Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Independent Contractor Taxes
 Mileage: Can you still expense when working as Employee?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

.Aimlak
Inactive

ID
USA
28 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  7:59:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This is the first year we have done mystery shopping (wish I'd "discovered" it a long time ago!). I'm trying to get a head start on our taxes as I have always done them myself. Some of our assignments are done as employees but we are not reimbursed mileage. What is your opinion about including mileage for these shops in your deductions? Would it be included on your Schedule C or elsewhere?
Thanks for any thoughts.....

DorothyB
Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
64 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  05:49:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you are truly working as an employee (having Social Security, etc deducted from your paycheck), then the associated mileage would NOT go on Schedule C. Instead I believe it would be included on Schedule A. I haven't looked at this in a while, but what I remember is that you would need to complete another form (2106?) and that you could deduct expenses over 2% of AGI. Read the instructions for Schedule A and you should be able to find it.

DorothyB / TX
MSPA Silver # zxgteb
Go to Top of Page

A2Kelley
Trainee

Martinsburg, WV
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  05:05:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if deducting all mileage is possible when working only as an employee, since I receive my assignments on my computer at home (but won't be claiming home office because it's not exclusive), or do you have to deduct a certain amount of miles each day or only count between jobs each day? I've kept track of all my mileage from home to jobs back to home, but each day is not broken down further than that.

Amy
Go to Top of Page

MaryRod
Star Contributor

El Centro, CA
USA
542 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  09:35:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It seems you can if you have a route, going place to place. Here's the site with form and instructions.

http://search.irs.gov/web/query.html?col=allirs&charset=utf-8&qp=&qs=-Wct%3A%22Internal+Revenue+Manual%22&qc=&qm=0&rf=0&oq=&qt=form+2106&search.x=26&search.y=16

~~ Please consider the environment before printing unnecessary pages.~~
~*~Mary~*~
Go to Top of Page

MaryRod
Star Contributor

El Centro, CA
USA
542 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  1:12:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Claiming transportation expenses and/or Employee's mileage reimbursements

I've read how we can claim mileage as employee for different companies using Sch C or form 2106 (& sh A) for each company separate.

I will also be claiming mileage expenses as IC for a few companies on sch C EZ
plan to use form 2106 & sch A for employed companies.

Is this correct and can this be done.

~~ Please consider the environment before printing unnecessary pages.~~
~*~Mary~*~
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  10:04:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Can I claim my miles to drive to a town to have copies printed of my order forms?? It seems I should be able to cuz that is work related.
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
395 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  7:53:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You can use form 2106 to deduct unreimbursed employee expenses, provided you meet this criteria: You can write off above 2% of your adjusted gross earnings, but you also must to be able to have other deductions, such as mortgage interest. You must have deductions higher than the "standard deduction". Most of the computer tax programs can automatically do this for you. Personally, I find that the Quicken Turbo Tax program works very well for me.

Note that independent contractors will have greater leeway for deductions.

In any case, be very careful when using the "home office" deduction. This is usually a "red flag", and can set you up for an audit. The tax preparer classes will actually tell you to screen customers info very carefully, and try to strre customers away from this deduction.

I spent a tax season with Jackson Hewitt. I learned a great deal of knowledge, and actually caught a couple of tax cheats while doing their return.

I have a "pen name". My name is "Candace B. Rittenoff"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums