Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Frugality, Sweeps, Freebies, Ways to Make $
 Frugal Living
 What every day things do you do to stop wasting money?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

JohnnyL
Trainee

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  04:49:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Frugal living does not necessarily have to mean Cheap living. It only has to mean Smart Living.
A few years ago I was working with a crew of men who were always complaining about being broke at the end of the week. I pointed out to them that they would stop every morning at a convenience store and buy a cup of coffee and biscuit ( $3.00 ), a bag of ice for their cooler ( 1.00 ), three bottled soft drinks ( 1.19 each ) chips and sandwich ( 5.00 ) X Five days = $51.00 per week
I get out of bed in the morning and fill my travel mug at home, eat a bowl of cereal or instant breakfast of some kind. Fill my cooler with ice from my fridge, Use store brand drinks I have purchased by the 24 pack, bag my chips from a large package, make my own sandwich and it all costs me around $25.00 per week.
What every day things do you do to stop wasting money?

GinaJ

Enfield, CT
USA
31 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  07:09:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My husband and I realized we were wasting lots of money by using our credit cards for everything. When we went to the grocery store for just a few things, we would come home with $50 worth of stuff. Did we need it? NOPE! Lots of what we bought was impulse kind of stuff. We decided to put ourselves on an allowence of $250 per paycheck for everything we do - eating out, groceries, gas, etc. If we don't have enough at the end of the week for that pizza, so be it. We have learned to budget a lot better. AND we only buy what we need.

Gina
Go to Top of Page

Shel
Star Contributor

MI
USA
474 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  11:30:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
While doing merchandising jobs, I leave all money locked in the car. This denies me of impulse buying.
Go to Top of Page

Heather Burnette2
Star Contributor

Spring Hope, NC
USA
340 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  05:47:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Shel, I do that to. When I finished I'm to tired to walk to the car and get my money so it saves a lot.

Burnette
Go to Top of Page

JenFranklin
Valued Contributor

WI
USA
102 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  10:53:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This may seem small, but we unplug all small kitchen appliances when not in use - toaster, toaster oven, coffee maker, etc. It has really made a difference. We also are very diligent about turning off lights when we leave a room. Not only does this save energy, but it saves us money when the electric bill arrives.

MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JordanT
Valued Contributor

Orlando, Florida
USA
155 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  1:38:22 PM  Send JordanT an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
This may seem small, but we unplug all small kitchen appliances when not in use - toaster, toaster oven, coffee maker, etc. It has really made a difference. We also are very diligent about turning off lights when we leave a room. Not only does this save energy, but it saves us money when the electric bill arrives
I am all for unplugging things, but how does unplugging a toaster and toaster oven save money? I can see a coffee pot that has a clock on it, but not the toasters.
I never turn lights on until it gets too dark to see in the area I am in. I also keep my air raised to about 82 degrees.

JordanT
Shopping Orlando, Winter Park, Oviedo and Waterford Lakes.
MSPA Gold Certified
#k9ecag
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  05:27:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Everything that is plugged into an outlet uses a small amount of electricity, even if not in use or stand-by mode (like with the clock on coffee maker, microwave, VCR). Apparently there is still a small flow of electricity going in, even though it's not being used.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

KLynnD

Monroe, WA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  1:37:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I routinely waiting until after 9pm during the week or until Saturdays and Sundays to run my dishwasher/dryer and even the washing machine. The electric company has different billing rates for the different hours of the days. Business hours have the highest rates for electricity used. In one billing cycle I noticed a $15 reduction.
Go to Top of Page

Jules in Boston
Star Contributor

Boston, MA
USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  4:48:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Nstar Electric in Massachusetts does not offer discounts- I called and asked. :-(

GOLD CERTIFIED
Shopping Boston, MA and metro area.
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen in Clearwater

Clearwater, FL
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  5:18:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It would make sense in the summer to not run anything that generates more heat during the day - like the electric stove, dishwasher or dryer. By running during the heta of the day, your air conditioner will probably run more, causing the increase in energy consumption. Also, turn off the lights and close the blinds - keep the heat out to keep cooling costs down!
Go to Top of Page

BeckyWrkm

Camby, IN
USA
40 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  1:08:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I bought a retractable clothes line, that I attached to my fence, and started to hang my clothing out to dry. I already see the savings in my electric bill.

(I used to hate hanging up our clothes on the clothes line growing up, I never thought I be doing it with my own clothing.)
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  1:41:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am making a real effort to quit wasting food at our house.

I often have thrown away good food that we have left to ruin in the fridge. It was not unusual for me to toss out half-heads of lettuce, molded bread, left-over meats, vegetables, etc.

Now, I am really trying to use lettuce before it ruins; tomatoes before they shrivel; breads before they turn green. If I am not planning to use left-overs the next day, I put them in the freezer to use in soups,etc.

This amounts to saving pennies, before they add up to wasted dollars. And, maybe the amount of $$$ I save is small, but, I feel good about not wasting the food.
Go to Top of Page

JanB27
Star Contributor

OH
USA
4831 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  1:53:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When you factor fuel costs and the cost to the environment to raise and ship food, the effort to not waste food is even more worth it, I think. Good for you!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

PamBam
Star Contributor

Schaumburg, IL
USA
316 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  11:47:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow, that was news to me about the toaster and coffeemaker using electricity.

Here are a few of mine:

1. I only dry towels, underwear and socks in the dryer - I hang up everything else. Not only does it save money on electricity but it saves money on clothes most of all! You don't realize how much dryers ruin clothes until you've been hanging them for a while.

2. I have trained my family to like leftovers. I play games with myself with the goal of no food thrown out. I've made spaghetti sauce from all sorts of odd combinations of things and it always comes out great! And it's often packed with far more vegetables than were in the original recipe. I recently volunteered to take all cookies that were found in a storeroom left over from a conference. They tasted a bit stale but I've turned them all into crumbs in my food processor and they are weekly becoming wonderful cheesecake crusts.

3. I'm a tightwad so am not tempted by overspending so it's wasting money to me to NOT use my credit card which gives me airline miles and from which I've had many free tickets.

Just a few things - I LOVE bartering and would love to find more ways to do that. Now that would really save money.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping domestic and international locations since 2003
Go to Top of Page

TiffDeBolt

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  8:31:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have lately done a lot of crockpot cooking. It is so easy, cheap, and most importantly, convenient! There are some great cookbooks out there with only a few ingredients, that are easy to modify to your liking.

Tiffany
Go to Top of Page

Kim Edmunds
Contributor

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  8:43:49 PM  Visit Kim Edmunds's Homepage  Send Kim Edmunds an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
We have done and still do a number of things to save money at our house.

1)We participate in Angelfood. http://www.angelfoodministries.org is available to everyone. There are no income requirements, no paperwork to fill out. $25 gets a box of food intended to feed a family of 4 for one week. The food is first quality and not close on date. We've been known to buy 3 - 4 a month.

2)Investment cooking or cook for a day, eat for a month. There are some great cookbooks out there than can teach you how. "Frozen Assets" and "Dinner's in the Freezer" are just two of them. There used to be some online groups, too.

3)Homeschooling. We didn't choose to homeschool for the purpose of saving money, but it seems to have worked out that way! When I talk to friends about "back to school" expenses, I shudder.

4)As a family of avid readers, we too have been really enjoying Paperback Swap.

5)We shop thrift stores and then sell the outgrown clothing on eBay.

6)Until recently, we avoided having a car payment by maintaining an driving our paid for cars. A man backed his dumptruck onto the hood of my 13 year old BMW and ended all that for us.
Go to Top of Page

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
456 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  2:43:27 PM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
My full time job allows telecommuting. As long as I have a high speed internet connection, I can work anywhere. I work from home one or two days a week to save on gas. Which is alot for me since it's 80 miles round trip from the house to the office.

The other thing I do when I am in the office instead of getting iced tea for my lunch in the cafeteria, I use tea bags at the coffee bar which are free. That saves me about $5 a week and I can make it as strong as I want it. Which is good since the cafeteria makes it alittle on the weak side.

Another Tea related money saver is my $tarbuck$ super saver. My favorite drink at Starbucks in the Passion iced tea. A venti is $2.29 at my local Starbucks. I found the Tazo Passion Tea Bags at speciality grocery store, Twenty bags for only $3.99! Still a little on the high side for tea bags but compared to getting the tea already made, it's a big money saver.

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising!
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  8:30:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Several things: Combine as many trips as I can to save on gas.
Wash out freezer bags with very hot water & re-use.
Go to the library instead of buying books unless
the library is having a sale.
Collect seeds from my flowers for next year.
Save my empty water bottles; Buy 2 liter sodas &
fill the bottles. (The only reason I buy bottled
water is because the water in this area isn't fit
to drink.)
Keep an eye out for everday supplies on sale & then
check my coupons for additional savings.
Gave up my newspaper subscription. Read the news
online.
Buy store brand items most of the time.
Shop the end of season sales for clothing & also
thrift shops.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  08:03:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Wash out freezer bags with very hot water & re-use.

Save my empty water bottles; Buy 2 liter sodas &
fill the bottles.

Gayle & others: Please read this warning:

Cancer update -- Johns Hopkins -- Cancer News from Johns Hopkins:
1. No plastic containers in micro.
2. No plastic water bottles in freezer.
3. No plastic wrap in microwave.

Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in its newsletters. This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army MedicalCenter as well.

" Dioxin chemicals causes cancer, especially breast cancer."
" Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies."

Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic.

Recently, Dr. Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital, was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He said that
we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers.

This especially applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food, and, ultimately into the cells of the body

Instead, he recommends that we USE GLASS, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food in microwave ovens.. You get the same results, only without the dioxin.

So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the
container and heated in something else, preferably, glass! . Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper.

It's just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc. He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.

Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food.

Cover food with a paper towel instead.

Go to Top of Page

.Nadia B.
Inactive

OH
USA
76 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  08:22:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clare
Gayle & others: Please read this warning:

Cancer update -- Johns Hopkins -- Cancer News from Johns Hopkins:
1. No plastic containers in micro.
2. No plastic water bottles in freezer.
3. No plastic wrap in microwave.

Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in its newsletters. This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army MedicalCenter as well.

" Dioxin chemicals causes cancer, especially breast cancer."
" Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies."

Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic.

[ . . .]

Actually, that is a myth/urban legend.

Please see: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp
and/or: http://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnews/articles/halden_dioxins.html

Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  9:21:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Clare, I don't do any of those things.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums