Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Frugality, Sweeps, Freebies, Ways to Make $
 Frugal Living
 What every day things do you do to stop wasting money?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  11:39:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Nadia...thanks for posting the links to Snopes & Johns Hopkins sites to get more information.

I learned from those sites that most plastics do not contain dioxins....but, that they DO contain other chemicals that can be released by heating.

quote:
....there is another group of chemicals, called phthalates that are sometimes added to plastics to make them flexible and less brittle. Phthalates are environmental contaminants that can exhibit hormone-like behavior by acting as endocrine disruptors in humans and animals. If you heat up plastics, you could increase the leaching of phthalates from the containers into water and food.

Question: What about cooking with plastics?

Answer: In general, whenever you heat something you increase the likelihood of pulling chemicals out. Chemicals can be released from plastic packaging materials like the kinds used in some microwave meals. Some drinking straws say on the label “not for hot beverages.” Most people think the warning is because someone might be burned. If you put that straw into a boiling cup of hot coffee, you basically have a hot water extraction going on, where the chemicals in the straw are being extracted into your nice cup of coffee. We use the same process in the lab to extract chemicals from materials we want to analyze.

If you are cooking with plastics or using plastic utensils, the best thing to do is to follow the directions and only use plastics that are specifically meant for cooking. Inert containers are best, for example heat-resistant glass, ceramics and good old stainless steel.

So, I will still buy frozen dinners, etc., which are in plastic containers; however, I will continue to remove them from the plastic containers, and, put them in Corningware for heating in the microwave, and, in the conventional oven, as well.

It may not make a bit of difference, healthwise, but, I will feel better about doing it that way.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy2366

NH
USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  1:02:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am going to start unplugging my small appliances too and see if I can notice a difference. Thats a good tip I never thought about.

~Silver Certified~
Go to Top of Page

MelissaKupfer
Contributor

Tulsa, Oklahoma
USA
69 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  09:18:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey everybody I also hang dry almost all of my clothing. I use fabric softener in every load to reduce crunchy clothes. But it saves a lot of energy and time for me. I dont have to fold clothes and wait for the dryer to end and all of that I just put them directly onto hangers from the washroom and hang them in my closet since I have a walk in but I also have in the past hung them on the shower rod or on closet door framing. IT also makes your house smell great from the fabric softener so I dont have to buy room fresheners.

The dryer diminishes clothing quality and value and you are able to resell clothing for more when you hand dry.
Go to Top of Page

HeatherShops
Star Contributor

Lake Placid, NY
USA
277 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  6:35:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have stopped eating junk food, soda, and always unplug everything electrical in my apartment except for my frig!
Go to Top of Page

.Dawn DE
Inactive

DE
USA
518 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  11:06:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just saw this article on CNN and thought about Jen's comment on unplugging appliances. Very interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/10/30/vampire.electronics.ap/index.html

Dawn
Go to Top of Page

JamesBarr
Apprentice

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  1:24:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't unplug my appliances, but I always turn my computer off at the end of the day - not only does it save on electricity but it saves my computer from a potential hacker!

I also bring any empty cans and juice boxes to the bottle depot - don't make a lot of money this way, but anything helps and it's good for the environment.

When I go to work, I always pack a bagged lunch and instead of spending $5 on coffee at Starbucks, I brew my own "special blend" at home.

Oh, and I LOVE sales!

James
Go to Top of Page

AnitaTNShopper
Star Contributor

Nashville, TN
USA
704 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  10:24:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Last night we had our first freeze of the season. Rather than turn my heat on. I put on a pair of socks and a pair of moisture gloves. I slept soundly through the night all warm and cozy with no heat used at all.

MSPA Gold Certified 2006
Go to Top of Page

AnitaTNShopper
Star Contributor

Nashville, TN
USA
704 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  1:17:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just to update. My electric bill arrived on Saturday, and it was $37.46, and that is for the whole house, a 3 bedroom townhouse 2 baths. This is by far the lowest I have seen it.

MSPA Gold Certified 2006
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  8:15:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anita, I would love to know how you managed that low bill. Tell me your secrets.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

ClarrissaH

Idaho
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  12:54:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The electricity tip is great. I found the article very interesting.

One thing I do this time of year, is when the turkeys go on sale, I buy what my freezers will hold. I go to different stores and get there turkey deal. When I cook a turkey, after our first meal, my husband removes all the meat from the bone and I divide it up in bags and freeze it. That way I have meat for soups, casseroles and pasta dishes. The turkey itself can then be boiled to make a base for a really great turkey soup.
Go to Top of Page

Mahealani
Valued Contributor

Stockton, CA
USA
143 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  4:10:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One thing I've learned a few weeks ago is to do away with a "Balanced Payment Plan" option from my electric company. It's supposed to average out your monthly payments based on the past 6 months' usage so you pay a flat rate each month. Well, well, well... did I finally learn to stop throwing my money away!

I have been paying $67 a month since June. Once I disenrolled a few days before Halloween, my bill automatically dropped $27 within 30 seconds! It's finally gotten chilly at night (it's still 70 degrees in the daytime where I live in CA) but we just put on an extra blanket to avoid turning on the heat while we sleep.

Mahealani
Go to Top of Page

Mahealani
Valued Contributor

Stockton, CA
USA
143 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  4:35:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I also stopped buying bottled water as often. (I used to buy a 24 pk every week, now I purchase a case twice a month.) I refill my bottles with water from my Pur pitcher. Investing $20 into this pitcher has been such a huge cash saver and the filter lasts about 3 months. I try to buy the filters in a 2-pack at Walmart or sometimes find them in the clearance section at Target.

My husband takes dinner leftovers for his lunches at work 4 days out of the week. Usually on Fridays he spends about $10 when he meets his friends for lunch which is fine because he used to eat out three times a week and spend $30-35.

Mahealani
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  8:33:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I still buy bottled water because the water is this area is awful. But I stopped buying the 24 pack a few months ago & now buy the gallon jugs at less than a dollar & fill up individual bottles. Much cheaper. I get about 6 bottles out of the jug, depending on how full I make them. I buy my clothes for work (merchandiser) from the Church's thrift shop. I can find new or like new pants & tops for a couple of dollars. I am also on the budget plan for electricity but so far mine is working out. Electricity in this area went way up this year because of govt. de-regulation. Even with budget billing I pay $200 mo. I'd love to have that $67. (Don't get me stated on bills.)

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  10:59:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mahealani--I had budget billing for years. You are not wasting money. They average what they expect you to use for a year, then level the payments out. During the months when you don't use much, the bill is higher than usage. During the high-use months, the bill is less than what is actually used. Toward the end of the designated 12-month period, if your payments are going to be off, they adjust as needed, either charging a little more each month to get you caught up or lowering the bill if you have over-paid. This is a great way to budget for people who need the advantage of a predictable bill each month.

For some reason my daughter needs this button pushed:

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Janis in SoFla

Pembroke Pines, Florida
USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  6:40:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a composter. All of my vegetable shavings and coffee ground and eggshells go into it. It saves me on fertilizer. My fruit trees are the envy of the neighborhood. I also am building a worm bin and will use this as fertilizer also. Mix the compost with your potted plants and watch them thrive!

Silver certified shopping in South Florida
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  3:26:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My daughter's first grade class required that all daily snacks be completely disposable. I hated buying the bottled water and paper bags when I am trying to encourage my child to recycle and be frugal for the environment and her fiscal education. Now that summer is here her day camp allows a reusable lunch box for snacks and lunch and a water bottle that we fill with tap water and ice each morning. She can refill from the water fountain if necessary throughout the day. And a big plus is that she is getting the fluoride from the water that is not present in bottled water. Better for her teeth.

And I have a new one this morning: I have determined that although it was frugal when I was just me to smoosh the sliver of soap onto the new bar of soap in the shower, now that I have a husband and a child old enough to bathe herself, it costs more money in Liquid Plumber and Draino than I save in soap! From now on I throw away the soap slivers when I open a new bar. It can't be just coincidence that the shower drain clogs up right about the same time the soap sliver disappears from sight!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  11:25:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There is a reason that Draino and Liquid Plumber are considered a plumber's best friend. These liquids destroy pipes and can end up costing you thousands to replace your drainage system. If you have these in your house, get rid of them safely (not to mention you're pouring toxic chemicals down your drain). I work in the home improvement industry and work with plumbers all the time. If you get clogged drains, invest one time in a snake. Works very well and with practice it gets easy to use. I haven't used one in years because I now cover my tub drain with a plastic hair catcher. Only water makes it down the drain and I can screen everything else. My hair is very thick and can clog any drain.

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

Deborah52
Apprentice

Gorham, Me
USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  8:39:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
First I decide is this a need or a want. I also shop for bargains. Another thing I have done is stopped using paper towels because it just to easy for me to grab a bunch rather than use a wash cloth. That also saves on our trees.I also have started washing my clothes in cold water which saves on my oil.

Deborah
Go to Top of Page

Wendy G
Star Contributor

Park Ridge, IL
USA
284 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  8:06:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hubby brought a steam distiller to the relationship and I brought a Vitamix. These two items are things I use daily that save me a ton of money.

I never buy bottled water. I cook with and drink some of the cleanest water there is using the steam distiller. It was a large initial investment for him, but he's had the thing about 15 years and it still works great.

The Vitamix really helps me save money because I make smoothies, soups, grind coffee, nuts, seeds and can even bread dough in the thing. I make my own frozen yogurt using the vitamix and a popsicle tray.

It makes salsa in about 30 seconds. I make an incredible almonaise (a "mayonaise" subsitute made with almonds not dairy) that is to die for using the Vitamix. They sell them remanufactured and I love mine. If you think you will use it for grinding and bread, get the second container. Another container can even be bought and used to make your own compost tea.

I use the vitamix every day and have had it about 10 years. One of the best investments ever.

A friend of the family gave me a soymilk maker recently. It makes awesome soymilk (which you can also make with the Vitamix, but it takes a few more steps). I can also make tofu with the soymilk maker.

I can make 2 qts of soymilk for approximately .25 cents. We don't always drink soymilk, but now that I have the maker, we do so more. I am anxious to try making the tofu too.

We also went back to make our own dog food. The dogs were getting burnt out on the one we were buying them (even though I think it is a good brand compared to many other types of dog food) and this saves us money too. You can buy your own vitamin/mineral mix for dog food (also use brewer's yeast for the B vitamins) or use a crushed up Centrum (there are recipes online).

It's funny because at first when we went back to making the dog food, they thought the food was a treat and wouldn't eat it out of the bowl. We had to hand it to them. Now they are excited to eat everyday again.

I also went back to making my own laundry soap. It's not hard and I follow the recipes found here, basically 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup borax, and 2 cups fels naptha or a vegetable based soap. I dump a cup of white vinegar in the softener dispenser and that helps a lot.

So, that's what I do to save money!

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Wendy G
Star Contributor

Park Ridge, IL
USA
284 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  8:12:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I forgot to add that we also use an organic vegetable/fruit delivery service. The price for the fruits and vegetables are competitive, if not lower, we support local growers, and I don't have to drive anywhere to buy the vegetables, I don't have to cart them to my car, and into my house. They bring the box straight to my door, using their gas, not mine.

I continued with a service even when I moved to Chicago and a trader joe's was in the first floor of my condo. Trader's sometimes doesn't have all the different types of fruits and veggies we like, and it's very easy to go online, pick out the fruit and veggies you want, and have it delivered.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums