Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Frugality, Sweeps, Freebies, Ways to Make $
 Frugal Living
 What every day things do you do to stop wasting money?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  8:37:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
For grease clogged drains: Reg. size bottle of bleach, 1 box of salt & a large pot of boiling water. A plumber actually used this on my Mother's kitchen drain one time. She said it worked great. I have & use a snake when necessary.

Has anybody used the dryer balls? I bought some about a year ago & I think they do just as good, if not better, as the dryer sheets. Or if you use fabric softener in your washing machine, put some on a washcloth & toss it in the dryer with the wet clothes, in place of dryer sheets.

Compost piles are great for the garden. Collect seeds from your flowers for next year's beds. There are garden websites that have swap areas for seeds & sometimes even plants.

Shop the dollar & discount stores whenever possible. I always go to these before I hit the grocery stores.

If you work, run errands or do your shopping on the way to or from work to save gas.

Fill up a quart milk bottle with water & place it in your toilet tank to save on water if you are on a meter. If you can fit something larger in there that's even better. I've seen a brick used for this purpose.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  8:51:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I subscribe to Consumer Reports and dryer balls were definitely debunked and determined to be a waste of money.

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  9:00:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well everyone is entitled to their opinion but I would have to disagree with CR on this. I have been using them for over a year now & think they do just as good a job as the dryer sheets. Clothes come out soft & no static cling on anything. When you take a comforter to be washed & dried at a cleaning establishment I've been told they put tennis balls in the dryer.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  04:14:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They do that to fluff up the filling in the comforter. Also works for some coats and pillows.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Salena
Contributor

Cleveland, OH
USA
95 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  8:36:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Turn off lights when not in use.
Blow out pilot light in my furnace in the summer.
"" with the stove ( I rarely use the stove and I have sperate pilot lights for stove and range)
DO time shares selling "free" as vacations (LOL, But I really do). I have to endure 2 hours of a hard sell, but I get 5 days/4 nights ( or a long weekend) with all ammenities free.
Do as many paid incentive test drives as I possibly can.
Shop at Dollar Tree, Save-A Lot. Aldi etc. Mix MS for grocery stores and buy my groceries there.
NEVER use credit for anything.
SHop at thrift stores.

Oh, and I don't use dryer sheets. I see them as a waste of maney as I do things like Downy fabric softener. My mom survived without it why do I need it? If I want my clothes to small decent, I spray the wet clothes with Febreeze or any type of air freshener before I dry them. I need air freshener with cats, so it does double duty. Just like my girl and I sometimes (many times) forgo conditioner for our hair or use like plain body soap in liquid form as shampoo. ( LIkE , my big splurge is def. Bath and Body works ( expensive I know, I stock up during the semi annual sale)can do double duty for us.!!!!
Live way under my means (I could afford to live in a suburb, but I bought a house in inner city Cleveland so I could save for my child's future)

Go to Top of Page

New Mexico Jill
Valued Contributor

New Mexico
USA
134 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  10:19:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I hear that dryer sheets aren't good for your dryer, anyway. They can leave a buildup on the screen that will eventually burn out the heating unit.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy G
Star Contributor

Park Ridge, IL
USA
284 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  1:09:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The local library here has seven day DVD rentals, free. There are a ton of tv shows (Frasier, X Files, etc) and lots of movies. Some libraries charge to take out videos, but not this one. You can also go online and download free audio books through the library's program. However, most libraries with programs such as these only work with PCs, not Macs.

I went to the library's book sale last week, and instead of selling the books for $1 a piece, since it was the last hour of the sale, they said I could take as many books as I wanted in a bag for $1. The bag they gave me was a small garbage bag. I grabbed as many titles as I was interested in and thought I could sell on Amazon or trade on paperback swap. I already swapped out one book and am hoping to sell another $35 (new) one.

Was a great deal!

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  7:04:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Take public transportation (if available). My total transportation cost per month: $32.00. My total gas/insurance/auto maintenance cost: $0. Total cost for cardio exercise/diet foods/steady weight loss: $0. New friends? One or two a day

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Hair & MSPA Cert: Silver (70 - the new 30!)
"Retired" and LOVING it (mostly)!!!
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  9:35:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wish we had convenient public transportatin here. I would have to drive to the nearest stop, about 3 miles, not too bad. But that is considered a satellite stop & it costs $4 to get from there to the next reg stop. Then $1.50 every time I get off/on the bus (These are really just little shuttle type buses) I figured it up & it would cost me almost $60 week to use this service plus waiting in the rain, cold, heat, snow for the buses. Decided against it.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Paula Kutka
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1671 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  08:31:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a plumbing snake also. Had to use it Saturday. Having one saves a $60. plumbing call.

Paula
Gold Certified shopping the Houston/Galveston area and IAH Airport since 2002
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  2:32:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We ended up having to have a plumber address the bathtub problems. He snaked the pipes from the roof! That's a new one to me, but it worked. He said there was no foreign object that had gone down the drain (I had expected the cats or child had managed to put something down there), just that the old cast iron pipes rust and flake and have to be scraped out every few years. I don't think a household-use snake would have done the job. And there is no amount of money to be saved that would get me on the roof.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Amanda AshvilleNC
Valued Contributor

Ashville, NC
USA
118 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  4:42:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
With watches which I don't wear often, I pull out the crown to stop them. This keeps the battery from running down while it's in the drawer. Just imagine the impact on global warming this would have if everyone did this!
Go to Top of Page

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  10:50:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gayle R

I wish we had convenient public transportatin here.

Gayle -

Unfortunately, that's true in many parts of the country - and it's a shame. I'm lucky because I do a lot of work in an area with busses, trains, and free shuttles of various types. At the same time, there are many jobs I cannot do because my range is so limited (15 miles in any direction).

But if it is an alternative, it's definitely worth looking into, and kids love the bus! And the mothers I see are engaged in quality time with their kids - talking, laughing, telling stories, working on homework...

And yes - sometimes it's a huge hassle because of hot or cold or wet weather. Sometimes I get to a store looking like an unmade bed. But that's easily repaired

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Hair & MSPA Cert: Silver (70 - the new 30!)
"Retired" and LOVING it (mostly)!!!
Go to Top of Page

Wendy G
Star Contributor

Park Ridge, IL
USA
284 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  8:53:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Checked my library website again and they are now offering videos and music you can download free as well as portable audio books. You check out a device that reads the audio book for two weeks for FREE. This is awesome. Would be great for a road trip.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Robin in OR

Oregon City, Oregon
USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  11:33:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I stopped buying processed "food" for the kids: sweetened cereal, except on special occasions; fruit roll-ups (which aren't fruit); mac 'n cheese out of a box, cookies, etc.
It's saved me a ton of money because I have 8 kids. A special treat is ice cream (the real kind with SUGAR) and yogurt. It's also easy to save on toys when the kids have to get them...for ages 10 and up, we rarely buy toys for them. If they want something and buy it themselves, they take better care of it!
I also clean my own house, help at the local exercise facility to get free workouts, and paint my own house. It's not hard, it just takes a few days to prep it and another day to paint it.
Go to Top of Page

Marie56

Rochester, NY
USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  1:35:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We do a lot of things. Not wasting gas is one thing. My husband and I commute to work together everyday. Our work schedules make it easy for me to drop him off on my way into work, and then pick him up afterward.
We buy a lot in bulk, which onlky saves money if it is something we use often. I get many of my frequently used spices and seasonings in larger packages, and transfer to smaller. We go to the bread factory outlet for all our breads. Freeze a lot of it.
Although there are just the two of us, we shop often at BJs and Sams Club. Especialy for non perishable items, like tuna and pasta. We like both of their store brands of things like pasta, and some OTC medications.

Marie
my home is in Rochester, NY
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  8:44:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Don't drive unless you have to & combine trips when you do. Shop thrift stores & dollar stores first. I bought 2 pair of like new pants, 2 new tops, 3 paperback books, a really nice tapestry type pocketbook & a few other household items yesterday at a church run "Opportunity Shop" for $8 total. Check out sites like e-bay but pay attention to the postage to make sure you aren't spending more than what you could get it for in a local store. If you garden, start a compost pile. Grow your own veggies. Even a small garden or a few pots will help the grocery bill. I grow tomatoes, lettuce & cucumbers in pots & it provides salads for my neighbors & myself all summer.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

New Mexico Jill
Valued Contributor

New Mexico
USA
134 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  10:38:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In the winter, I open the blinds during the day to heat my home with solar energy. I hang my clothes on a line or drying rack instead of using the electric dryer. I catch rainwater and snow in an extra garbage can and use the water for washing cars, flushing toilets, etc. I shred up old newspaper for cat litter. I shower with my husband to save water and electricity . I pile the blankets on the bed at night instead of turning the heat on. I use coupons and sales and save about 50% on my grocery bill every time I shop. I look for free rebate items (Walgreens and Rite-Aid are great)!

A tip from my M-I-L: use 2 Tbs of white vinegar instead of liquid fabric softener. (I have tried this, but I'm not entirely convinced...)

A tip from my own ma: Fill up your fridge and freezer, even if it's just with water. The items in your frige will just transfer the cold to one another and your fridge won't have to work as hard to stay cold (saves electricity).

Also- if you have Energy Star appliances and/or a front-load washer, check with your electric and water companies to see if they offer rebates. My electric company offers $40 per Energy Star appliance (including water heaters). And check with your county- mine has started a free toilet replacement program. If you have a 3 or 5 gallon per flush toilet, they'll come and replace it with a 1.6 GPF unit for free!
Go to Top of Page

Heather Burnette2
Star Contributor

Spring Hope, NC
USA
340 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  12:05:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I like my 3 GPF toliet. thank you very much.

I think I will try the one about showering with hubby.

Burnette
Go to Top of Page

KayBee

Manteca, CA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  6:49:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you have pretty cube-shaped tissue box holders around your home and bathroom you probably notice that the cube-shaped tissues are more expensive than the larger rectangle boxes and you get many more tissues in the rectangle boxes than in the cube boxes so I started buying the rectangle-sized boxes when they’re on sale and using them as a refill for my cube-shaped decorative tissue holders. Whenever I run out of tissue, I grab a large handful of tissues from the rectangle box, fold in half and insert into the cube-shaped box.

Shopping Manteca, Modesto, Tracy, Stockton, Lodi, East Bay area
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums