Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Frugality, Sweeps, Freebies, Ways to Make $
 Frugal Living
 What every day things do you do to stop wasting money?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  8:02:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've heard of "Vampire Power" but doesn't that just refer to those tings that have a LED light still on when the appliance is not in use?

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  8:12:40 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
This article explains it pretty good. Thanks for the google tip.

http://greenhome.huddler.com/wiki/how-to-reduce-vampire-power

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

New Mexico Jill
Valued Contributor

New Mexico
USA
134 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2009 :  11:54:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lisa- regarding your dishes, if you still have the broken dishwasher, stack them up in there until you're ready to wash the whole load. That takes care of the unsightly dirty dishes on the counter! That's what I do!

When I turn on the shower and wait for it to get warm, I use empty laundry detergent jugs to catch the cold water. Then I use them to fill up the toilet tank when I flush. Saves water and the residual detergent helps keep the toilet clean.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2009 :  12:28:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
When I turn on the shower and wait for it to get warm, I use empty laundry detergent jugs to catch the cold water. Then I use them to fill up the toilet tank when I flush. Saves water and the residual detergent helps keep the toilet clean.

Great idea, Jill! Takes some effort to do that, but, it saves more water than you might think. We live in a drought-prone area, and, all of us should be doing this to conserve the water we do have.
Go to Top of Page

HeatherP
Star Contributor

AZ
USA
368 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  11:23:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love this idea! I am going to have to try that! I was raised in the desert where water conservation is HUGE, and now that I live in a place where there is lots of water, it just seems to me like people waste so much!

Heather
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

PJLaw1
Star Contributor

Nowhereville, NW
USA
370 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  11:52:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you like that consider a gray water system.

Some good planning tips. http://www.greywater.com/planning.htm

Philip
Silver Certified
Shopping Eastern NC
Go to Top of Page

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  05:06:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
SOP for used feminine products is to wrap them in toilet paper before putting them in the wastebasket. When I realized how much toilet paper we were wasting (which is expensive, too) I put a stack of expired coupon inserts in the bathroom. I asked my daughter to use these to wrap garbage and she has done so. We are using much less toilet paper. You could use any other type of free, throw-away paper, like newspaper, old magazines, even kids old homework! and you could fold them into a tissue box or something so they don't look so out of place on the bathroom shelf.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  09:42:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Time is money. Something I do that saves me time, but not necessarily cash, is sorting my pills in empty plastic containers that prescriptions come in.

I take a lot of pills daily (too many to fit into those little daily sorters and too many to try to sort out each day). So I save the plastic containers that the prescriptions come in and I take off the labels. I line up about 14 empty containers and fill them with the pills I need for each day. Doing it this way also makes it convenient for me to just grab a container and take it with me if I need to. And it keeps me from skipping any pills.

I have used some of the larger containers to take my own salad dressing to restaurants when I know they won't have what I want. They hold just about the right amount for one salad.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  6:44:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LAlao, I have my daughter save the plastic wrapper that each napkin comes in and she wraps that around the used product. The bathroom can has a lid with the step-on control to open, so no one has to view what is in there (and the pets stay out). We use plastic grocery bags as liners and change as necessary.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  9:15:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We need to buy storm windows for our new home. Yes an initial expense, but it will help with the cost of both heating the home in the winter and cooling it in the summer. This is our first winter in the house and didn't realize how badly we needed the storm windows til it finally turned cold.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  06:28:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, that reminded me that pouring a little PineSol in a trash bag or trashcan before closing will repel both animals and flies. I learned to do this when we were having trouble with dogs in the neighborhood getting into the trash before it could be picked up. Or, in Houston's heat, repelling the flies before trash day.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  11:26:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Juanita, what a great idea. I'll give that a try in our outside trash cans. We are moving into a new house and hope to be all the way in before January ends. That would be a nice start!

And we were very pleased to see that all but one window is already equipped with storm windows. The exception is the huge window above the landing on the stairs. I can see why the previous owners didn't want to go to the expense of having the glass made. I am certain they don't come pre-made in that size. Especially since the top half is a half-circle that's about six feet in diameter.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  10:01:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When my husband and my son-in-law put on weight, they had trouble fastening the top button on their dress shirts. They have little extenders you can buy that are just a metal button with a stretchy thing attached that serves as a buttonhole. But they were so small and my big husky men have such large fingers, they couldn't fasten these itty bitty things.

So I devised my own. I took some old dress shirts, cut out the top buttonhole with a little extra material, and then cut out the top button also with a little extra material. I turned them around and sewed them together. Now I have this 1 inch or 1-1/2 inch piece (I can make them whatever size I want) that has a button on one end and a buttonhole on the other end and buttons into the shirt at the top to make the collar bigger. Of course you do have to wear a tie with this.

Both men like these things and my son-in-law won't use anything else. When they lose weight from time to time, they just stop using the thing.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  06:33:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Something I do to keep from letting vegetables go bad in the refrigerator is to clean and trim them so they are ready to eat and put them in cold water in a big bowl. I mix radishes, cucumbers, celery, jicama, etc, all together. When I need some, I just fetch them from the bowl.

This will keep the vegetables fresh for up to a week (I change the water every three days and I usually don't cut up more than I will use in about four days). And this is amazing what it will do for limp celery. It will make the celery crispy again.

Also for salads, I cut up an entire head of lettuce. I place a dry paper towel in the bottom of the bowl with lettuce on top. Then I place a wet paper towel that has been wrung out on top. This keeps the lettuce fresh until I can use it up and I don't have to keep cutting some each time I want a salad. I fix a lot of salads so I can go through a bowl in about three days.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

RepSusan
Valued Contributor

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  3:55:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What is jicama?

Susan
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  5:21:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jicama is the root of the Jicama plant (pronounced like it starts with an "h"...hic ama). It is the color of a potato on the outside but white on the inside. It is moist and slightly crunchy but not hard. It has a very mild taste (almost no taste). I would liken it to a very, very light radish flavor but some would disagree. Some think it has a slightly sweet taste. It is really hard to describe the taste because it is so mild.

My husband loves it just sliced into salads and eaten raw. He loves the "crunch" that it adds to the salad. But it can be cooked. I have never tasted it cooked. If you have had salads in Mexican restaurants, it is very likely you have eaten jicama. I had some Mexican restaurant mystery shops and that is where I first tasted it. They added a lot to their salads.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  03:37:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I cut up a gallon zip-lock bag all at once, and we just eat salad from the bag. If you are careful to squeeze out all the air you can before zipping, it stays fresh until you use it all--as long as you don't put in things like tomato. They get added at the table.

I also put open bags of frozen veggies into zippered freezer bags, and keep re-using the freezer bags until the zipper wears out. Since the bags never actually touch the food, they can be used for a long time. If I have an empty bag, I just keep it in the freezer until the next open veggies require it.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  09:12:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love Bread and Butter pickles. After I finish a jar, and there is a lot of juice left, I bring the juice to a boil and pour over fresh cut-up vegetables and toss well. I usually add a little salt and pepper and then refrigerate overnight for the best flavor.

I have tried this also with Kosher Dill juice.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  1:30:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'll have to try that. We generally by the bread and butter pickles in the big jar at Sam's, so there would be plenty of juice left.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  11:20:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I like to make up my own bags of ice to keep in the freezer. But I also make up blocks of ice.

I use about a one gallon square tub to freeze the block and then put it in a plastic bag.

If you use one of these blocks in an ice chest along with cubes, the cubes will last a lot longer and the block takes forever to melt.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums