Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SandyMcMahan
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  6:47:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Dog Treats

Fido will love chomping on these tasty & healthy treats!

biscuit dough:

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup water

glaze:

1 large egg
2 Tablespoons milk

1. Preheat the oven to 275°.

2. In a large bowl: combine the flour, oatmeal, wheat germ, peanut butter, vegetable oil, honey, baking powder and water.

3. Mix the ingredients until thoroughly combined.

4. Roll the dough out to a ˝-inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes and place on baking sheets.

5. In a small bowl, mix together the egg and milk. Brush the glaze on the biscuits.

6. Bake for 30 minutes. Rotate the pans, and bake for an additional 20 - 30 minutes, until biscuits are golden and firm.

"Hug someone today, it will make them smile"

.LisaFrazer
Inactive

Raleigh, NC
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2003 :  10:13:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have made doggie treats for my two dogs with great success. They love them and prefer them to the milk bones that you buy. The following site has some wonderful recipes for pets www.doggieconnection.com . Below is the recipe I use.

Low –fat Dog Biscuits

˝ cup margarine
˝ cup beef or chicken broth
˝ cup dry milk
˝ tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
1 egg
3 cups whole-wheat flour

Combine all ingredients except flour in a large bowl and mix well. Blend in the flour one-half cup at a time, mixing well until a nice dough is formed. Knead the dough and roll out nice and thin. Cut out dog bones in whatever size you want.

Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for 50 minutes. Turn the oven off, but leave dog biscuits in for three more hours so they can get nice and crunchy.

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  2:03:14 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wonderful ideas. My son gives the dogs store bought treats daily against my wishes. My dog is overweight, and his Shih-tzu puppy is looking rather plump in the short time ( just before Christmas) weve had her. I WILL definitely try these. Thanks so much, they both sound really good.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  07:48:03 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well ladies, Ive made a batch of each recipe you've provided, and the dogs like them the same. Thanks you again. NOW, do you also make your own dog food? If so, how about sharing the recipe. Ive concocted my own by using recipes found online, then adapting them a bit. I throw everything in it but the kitchen sink that isn't fattening, and if questionable, I add a few drops of multi-vitamins. The meats I use are primarily chicken, turkey, and venison. I went to making my own low fat food to try and control some of the sugar, fat intake, and provide human grade meats, instead of the garbage that is used in purchased dog foods. Hopefully, to curb the weight gain some. Do you have any suggestions to share? Note: The reason I say "garbage" is because last deer hunting season, I worked at a wild game processing plant, and saw with my own eyes what cuts go to the rendering plants to make wild game foods. I was shocked, and sickened to see animals with puss oozing from infected body parts thrown in the barrels, along with gangrene parts, spit from the snuff chewing butchers, plus, human blood contaminated by one butcher who was taking blood thinner medication, that had cut himself. IF this is the same kind of low quality meat processers use to make our purchased dog foods, I want NO part of it! Consequently, Ive been making my own ever since. My Vet said my concoctions are healthy, and it was a good idea to use multi-vitamins in the mix to assure the pets got all nutrients needed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Volition.com is on Facebook.
Click here to
be a fan!

Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums