Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GinaJ

Enfield, CT
USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  11:36:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Freecycle.org is a wonderful way to get free stuff and get rid of stuff you don't want/need anymore. Sign up is free, and they ask that your first post be something to give away. After that, you can post messages regarding stuff you need. These posts are State and town specific. You just need to go on the site and see if there is a group in your area. There are also groups in the United Kingdom and elsewhere. The main goal is to keep us from throwing more stuff into our already overflowing landfills.

I have gotten rid of so much stuff that I otherwise would have had to haul to a Good Will or thrown away. And the best part is that these things I didn't want went to people who really wanted/needed the.

http://www.Freecycle.org/

Gina

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  07:51:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, you can get rid of things you no longer need, or want. Freecycle's purpose is to keep things out of the landfills.

But, there are a lot of people who fraudently use Freecycle to get items for resale, which is against Freecycle's terms of use.
Go to Top of Page

KathyinSFLA
Valued Contributor

Jupiter, FL
USA
179 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  08:18:41 AM  Send KathyinSFLA an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love Freecycle! I have given away items and I have gotten great kid's things, a toddler bed, kids table and chairs to name a few.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

KellyNY
Star Contributor

Long Island, New York
USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  09:04:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I recently discovered this site and found there are two groups in my immediate area. I love it! I have picked up maternity clothes and baby items. I can definitely see the potential for people taking the free items and reselling them, although most things are used and so I doubt it could really be a big money maker.

Long Island, NY
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  7:55:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our local Freecycle forum is pretty active, and some really good things are offered; but, there seems to be a group who pounces on new offers with sad tales of need (which is against the rules) in order to play on one's sympathy, and be given the free items ahead of others.

Then, they resell them, either in their yard sales, on on e-bay. There have been a number of complaints about it, but, I don't know how it could be stopped....it would be impossible to monitor the exchanges to be sure there was no profiteering.

But, we also have a "Cheapcycle" forum; and, I really prefer to deal with those members. Items are sold, not given. Items are priced reasonably low, and, I have gotten several useful items through them.

When I am through using the Cheapcycle item, I am free to sell it if I so desire; but, most times, I just donate things I don't use to charities for their fund raisers....that's lots easier than having yard sales.

With Freecycle items, we are supposed to Freecycle them again, or just give them away to a charity, or individual who can use them. So, donating them to a charity works there, too!
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
Star Contributor

Philadelphia, PA
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  8:37:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just unsubbed from my local Freecycle site. There were people making really off the wall demands of wanting good running cars, boats, people would say they would show up for something and never did...... I got burned out!
There were some good people and I did make a few new friends but it seemed like the same people were always "wanting" and never having anything to offer back.
Unfortunately, in my area driving for a free item could well cost more in gas than the free item was worth!
Go to Top of Page

KathyinSFLA
Valued Contributor

Jupiter, FL
USA
179 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  8:41:18 PM  Send KathyinSFLA an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I actually had a family friend who volunteers with a foster care agency, she asked me to post on Freecycle how the agency was in desperate need of a certain sizes of little girls clothing. I actually had awesome responses and some people are leery (who could blame them) and I emailed them with the organization's address and phone number so they could drop them off and others dropped at my house so they did not have to drive the 15 miles. Yes I agree that there are people on there that ask for everything, I think if you are with the group long enough you figure out who does what and choose accordingly. I got a great two drawer filing cabinet about two weeks ago.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  2:28:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
I just unsubbed from my local Freecycle site. There were people making really off the wall demands of wanting good running cars, boats, people would say they would show up for something and never did......

That's one reason I like to use Cheapcycle Forum....Things are priced fairly, and, those freeloading dealers are usually too cheap to lay out any money at all for items.....so, Cheapcycle doesn't get a lot of them coming around.

Everyone likes to get a bargain, but, there is no need to be greedy, and, just gather up stuff to resell.
Go to Top of Page

RebeccaFLGal
Valued Contributor

Palm Bay, FL
USA
103 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  2:38:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You can also go to Freesharing.org. It's made up of groups that broke away from Freecycle. Our local group has a great set of mods, and a few rules so you don't see nearly as many of the "gimme it all" type of posts. The first post has to be an offer, you have had to have made an offer in the last 2 months to post a wanted, no shopping lists of wanteds allowed, only 3 wanteds allowed per week. I'm really lucky to live where we have such a great local group. It's the busiest one in the world!

Check it out and see if there's a group near you!

Becky
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
2864 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  10:39:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I loved freecycle where we used to live in IL, but have been surprised at the one down here. Maybe it was the nature of the university town, but I am used to moving boxes being snatched up immediately and people frequently posting asking for them. I have had to just leave ours for the trash as no one seems to want them and there is no recycle place to take them. (However, I understand curbside recycling is supposed to be available in Shreveport sometime in the next year).

My daughter needs to post a pic:

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MelissaKupfer
Contributor

Tulsa, Oklahoma
USA
69 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  07:16:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes I love this site. We have a few for the Tulsa area. Its so cool that you can give something to someone personally that you know really needs it.
Go to Top of Page

Amy Cranston
Star Contributor

Farmington, NM
USA
537 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  4:01:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I LOVE FREECYCLE!! I just cleared out our shed, and many happy people got things they needed. Lots of it was still new. I just don't have a use for it now. I also got a great sandbox and tricycle for my kids. What a great concept!

Thanks,
Amy L. Cranston
Go to Top of Page

AnitaTNShopper
Star Contributor

Nashville, TN
USA
704 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  10:26:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Craigslist has a FREE Section, I had some old yard sale stuff that didn't sell. So I placed an ad last night in the Free section, and within an hour I had 15 calls. And with Craigslist there is no membership needed.

MSPA Gold Certified 2006
Go to Top of Page

AnitaTNShopper
Star Contributor

Nashville, TN
USA
704 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  7:54:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ok I take back my praise of Craigslist. The person claimed that they were going to pick the stuff up and then called 28 minutes before the appointed time saying his child was ill, and changed the time to 2:00, then failed to show at all. This put a major wrench in my day.

MSPA Gold Certified 2006
Go to Top of Page

Jules in Boston
Star Contributor

Boston, MA
USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  12:12:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Craigslist is great........ but often I get dozens of responses to free items that I am offering and no replies when I offer to get something. People to tend do be more flaky on Craigslist.

Freecyle is more of a local community. I belong to several freecycle groups and love it!!

GOLD CERTIFIED
Shopping Boston, MA and metro area.
Go to Top of Page

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  7:19:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The first weekend of every 3rd month, my cul-de-sac has a Block Flea Market. We have to get a permit from the city to do this, but there are about 40 houses involved, and people come from all over town dragging stuff on dollies and red wagons. We're hoping to get a Salvation Army truck to stop by for the next one, and maybe a mobile recycling van.

We actually started doing this on a much smaller scale in the 1960's, but the only planning it requires is getting some of your neighbors to "buy in" to the "entire block" thing, and asking the rest if they mind too much if the street is busy on such-and-such a date. Most do not mind, and if they do, we bribe them with a free something - yardwork, car-washing, babysitting...

The nice thing about have a bunch of people involved is that someone else will keep an eye on your stuff when you need a break.

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Hair & MSPA Cert: Silver (70 - the new 30!)
"Retired" and LOVING it (mostly)!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
2864 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  04:22:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue, how wonderful. And any neighborhood where you get a regular chance to meet and interact with the folk on the block is a place where you and your kids will be that much safer!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Roxanne777
Contributor

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  1:04:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue, That is wonderful and I think I might just have to see what my little neighborhood thinks about doing this once in a while.Maybe for the month of October,it will be a bit cooler here and it gives me a few weeks to get it together.

Freecycle is great. I have recently picked up an old desk that we replaced the top on.We had a scrap piece of Luann that worked great.I have also recieved a few toys,childrens books,exercise videos and a toaster oven.All from right here in the town I live,so not much driving. YEAH !!

Roxanne
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums