Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  6:58:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Marla, The surge team just does team resets and are also "helpers'' for the merchandisers who have regular stores that on occassion require more then 1 person. They are gearing up for the chip resets starting soon.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  1:23:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If I had to make $12 an hour I wouldn't have much work. LOL.. I like to work and especially merchandising! This work is not boring at all.
Go to Top of Page

SharonC

Jacksonville, FL
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  1:57:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't get out of bed for $9/hr. These companies are getting ridiculous. The longer you work the less they pay. And by taking these low paying jobs you encourage them to keep paying low wages.

Don't let them make you work for free. YOUR time is worth $$$. Demand compensation for it.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  2:12:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just logged in and wow has the web site ever changed. This is a lot more sophisticated than it used to be.

I am very satisfied with the money I make doing mc work for under $12 an hour. It beats the alternative which is work for minimum wage ($7.25), not pay bills and be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  3:03:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SharonC

I wouldn't get out of bed for $9/hr. These companies are getting ridiculous. The longer you work the less they pay. And by taking these low paying jobs you encourage them to keep paying low wages.

Well, I agree, but only idealistically.

People take these jobs because they need money. Me included. Fact is, companies like this know what they are doing. They pay what the market will bear (remember, it's an employer's market right now and will be for at least another 5-10 years most likely), and the market will bear $9/hr for this line of work right now. Although $9 is on the low end for mrech, all in all, $9/hr is better than what most mystery shopping jobs pay, that's for sure (if they pay anything at all).

I feel bad for merchandisers with years and years of merch experience. This market has to be the worst for you anymore.

But anyway, as long as I am guaranteed 20+ hours/week, for now, I will take $9 because not only am I new, but I am desperate (however, at that wage, be aware that I ocnsider myself stil a job seeker, as that is not an "acceptable" wage, just an "acceptable for now" wage). But I won't travel far for that kind of wage unless I am paid for drive time & mileage or at least a decent flat fee per store to cover travel costs. Problem is, most companies won't pay mileage before 30 or 40 miles so they keep your territory under that and mostly allow 1 store per day so there will be no DT and mileage to pay.

Ah, well. No use complaining...just gotta do the best you can and survive in these times.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  3:56:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Some people can and do get along just great at $9/hr. Some people can't live on $12/hr. I guess it means that some places just cost more than others. Myself, I can and do, do just fine at $9, but love the $12 when I get it. Overall, that $12 that comes in once in awhile doesn't pay the bills, but the $9/hr that is consistent does pay the bills and gives me enough for new toys also.

I don't work for DL, but other companies.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  5:31:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Plus $9 an hour is more then my states min. wage. The min. wage is $5.85 an hour, and in my state most people are lucky if they make $8 an hour. This is one of the rocky moutain states. Yes I also make $10-$12 an hour. Wages have fallen over the years and I don't think they will ever be way up there again. Back in 1977 I made $10 doing security.Now they are lucky if they make $7 an hour.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

PheePhee
Valued Contributor

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  6:47:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think it one thing to get $9 an hour if you are getting 20hrs a week or more. It's another story if you are getting less than 10hrs a week with 4 stores you have to complete weekly.
MCbarb, mine said Driveline was getting 60% more business.I don't think will matter one way or the other. Since they changed the greeting cards from twice a month to every week we are getting 50% more work right there, but they cut the time in half so we are not making any more money. My guess is that there will be a surge in 15-45 min. plans.

Phee
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  6:53:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Min wage is only 5.15 in Wyoming...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._minimum_wages

and the pay tipped employees at only 2.13, which I believe is the going wage for sweatshop work for children 12-17 in China .

(Makes note: never move to Wyoming lol)
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  8:15:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did not realize it was possible to be lower than the federal minimum wage. I knew some places had higher rates (California, for instance) if cost of living is much higher, but honestly thought the federal rate was the bottom threshold unless you were in the restaurant business. Learn something new...

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
514 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  9:26:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just an FYI to all, we live in Southern California, have for all our lives, been through a lot of good and bad times here. Some of the replies on this post are kind of awakening to say the least.

Guess contentment is where you find it and how hard you look and where the expectations people have of themselves will lead them.

What we expect of ourselves, our lives, our jobs and what they provide are quite different than what other people expect, just "making a living" is our basic goal as it is with a lot of other people, how we accomplish that is not the same as others though, we "love" our jobs and the people we meet along the way can be quite the treat to complete the day, the places we travel to are the "icing on the cake" so to speak.

The jobs that some people are willing to take and the pay they are willing to accept are a sign of our times, we just strive a little higher, the available hours, report time, amount of per store projects and pay just is not acceptable to us, we have been dropping companies that don't meet our needs which in turn frees up a lot of these one time gigs for other people.

MindyZ

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  3:32:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I believe, not sure, you must be paid the higher of either Federal or State minimum. I need to look at Indiana's.

While we don't always have the best weather, we still have some elbow room, unlike some other places.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  5:26:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
From the wikipedia link I provided above...

quote:
This is a list of the minimum wages (per hour) in each state and territory of the United States, for jobs covered by federal minimum wage laws. If the job is not subject to the federal Fair Labor Standards Act, then state, city, or other local laws may determine the minimum wage. A common exemption to the federal minimum wage is a company having revenue of less than $500,000 per year while not engaging in any interstate commerce.

Under the federal law, workers that receive a portion of their salary from tips, such as wait staff, are required only to have their total compensation, including tips, meet the minimum wage. Thus, often, their hourly wage, before tips, is less than the minimum wage. 8 states do not allow for a tip credit. Additional exemptions to the minimum wage include many seasonal employees, student employees, and certain disabled employees as specified by the FLSA.

In addition, some counties and/or cities within states may observe a higher minimum wage than the rest of the state in which they are located; sometimes this higher wage will apply only to businesses that are under contract to the local government itself, while in other cases the higher minimum will be enforced across the board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._minimum_wages
Go to Top of Page

SusanSG
Contributor

AL
USA
56 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  2:51:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd see what Driveline had to offer as far as work in the area and took them up on their latest offer for part-time work. Or I should say really vague work offer that I'm not quite sure what it is and no one else seems to know either.

But there's a ton of paperwork and within a few hours of finally receiving the info from HR I've received so many emails and phone calls telling me that I need to get it done within 72 hours, that I'm thinking of saying this is too much trouble. Also the DM told me what day she wanted to train me. Didn't ask. Told me. I happen to be busy on that day. They know I'm an employee with another company, part-time and they expect me to adjust that schedule to work around theirs? One of their reps did tell me not to work for them, but she was trying to find out about other job opportunities when she said that, so I thought she was trying to protect her territory.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  3:01:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
SusanSG, I would say from what you just reported, this is definitely not a good sign of what it might be like to work for them.

I have never had an employer demand an interview date. They either ask me what day works for me or they suggest a day or a few days. But they never demanded a specific day.

If others did not have good reports about this company, I would say that the company in general is probably one to stay away from, but it sounds to me most likely that you just happen to have a bad DM.
Go to Top of Page

DebsTN
Contributor

TN
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  3:09:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey Susan, who was the DM... i worked for DL a few years back and it sounds like some1 i know. I would most not recommend this company to work for. Everything is just fine until they want you to do something you can't... you are at their beck and call and they expect you to drop everything for them. There are so many better companies out there.

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  3:18:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Susan, I got an email with links for rehire ... the same as you would. It took me less than half hour to submit all of my paperwork. No one called me and no one emailed me. I find it strange they did that to you. Hmmm,that is really too bad. >>> The DM told you to take the paid training conference call cuz the resets are starting soon and she wanted you to be able to work. No one said exactly what the details of the jobs are cuz #1. it is confidential info and #2 you weren't working for them yet so why tell you? I hope things work out for you.
Go to Top of Page

SusanSG
Contributor

AL
USA
56 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  07:16:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, thanks for the info.

I realized I'm being contacted by two DMs for two different areas. One is new. The other is the one I dealt with before and gave up on. She always kind of had this attitude that gave me the impression that it was too much trouble to look through her inbox for the info, that I could send it again, and it was a lot to send. So I stopped responding.

DebsTN, oh the poor things will be in trouble with me if they expect me to drop everything for them. LOL I let them know I have another higher paying merchandising job that comes first. I also have quit much better paying jobs because I got bored or they were too much like work.

I thought this was a surge or flex rep job. Turns out it's master merchandiser.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  06:44:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got my new territory this morning. Is everyone ready for the resets? I am scheduled for the potato chip one so far. There will be sooo many. Wow!
Go to Top of Page

SusanSG
Contributor

AL
USA
56 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  1:03:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Got my training done. The DM, Carolyn, was great. She was the rep in an area I cover with FGX and we shared some stories about a manager who drove us both nuts. LOL

I was wondering if everyone is happy with the new territory divisions? How did it affect the existing reps? More work? Less work?

Susan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums