Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  5:23:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We have no DM now so I asked my RM 3 times how do I get ot if she does not answer the phone. Finally got a reply (?) that she was on a conference call and no overtime for continuity. We will see about that.
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  6:22:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MCBarb

...asked my RM 3 times...Finally got a reply...no overtime for continuity.

DL is what you call a cut-rate 3rd party merchandising/retail services company. They get contracts by undercutting the competition and cater to clients that are looking to save 3rd party merchandising dollars by accepting the lowest bid. They (DL) in turn, pay crappy wages (nothing illegal about that, though) and expect the most from you and try to get away with things like not paying overtime when overtime pay is legally due. This is par for the course for DL. I know this from experience and from others on this forum. I only stuck with them as long as I had to, but when I didn't need them anymore, I bailed. In fact, looking back, they actually cost me money in by hindering my ability to accept other opportunities. But that was my fault as I took the job realizing that this may happen.

I never had to worry about not being paid overtime as I was never given enough hours to worry about it, but I know 2 other merchandisers that I worked with in my area and they often worked overtime without overtime pay. But they continue to stick with DL for various reasons.

What you all need to do (those of you that work overtime without overtime pay, are asked to work overtime without overtime pay, and who are not compensated for admin or supplemental time) is contract both the federal dept of labor as well as your state's department of labor and report them. I do not have any links for you to make it easy. I searched quickly but did not find anywhere where you can report employers online. You probably have to make phone calls.

The more complaints they get about DL, the quicker something will be done about it.

I understand that some of you who work for DL put up with them because you are comfortable with them, they fit your lifestyle, and/or you really need a job. To those of you who fit this category, I do feel for you as I don't blame you for not stirring the pot. Let's face if, if you report them, you better be prepared to lose your job. In most states, you will have no recourse but even so they will fire you over something unrelated anyway so recourse will be impossible.

But for those of you who don't mind the risk of losing your job with DL and have experiencing these things, you really need to report them.

Of course, the end result will be that it will negatively impact those that need DL badly, but you have to do what you have to do. Let's face it, if the govt finds DL in violation of not paying overtime when overtime is due, DL will not start paying overtime as a reaction to it, they will simply over-hire for territories that have people going overtime so that barely anyone works more than 15-20 hours a week, if that, which will ensure that even during busy cycles there will be very little risk of people going overtime and DL having to pay it. But I believe in smacking down companies that violate labor laws, no matter what the consequence.

DL is a textbook example of why being an under-cutter doesn't usually work out in the long run.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

Laura_In_Az
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
307 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  8:41:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
very well said!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  06:06:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes .. you are correct Larry!! I have contact info on New York state anyways. I emailed and got a reply they have to pay me. I will be filing a claim this next week. Fire me? Then they have to pay unemployment insurance. My RM is taking jobs away from me after I confirm them anyways so who cares?? NYSDOL - Contact Center | Info.NYSDOL@labor
Go to Top of Page

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
626 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  07:35:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Be careful with thinking that if they fire you, you can draw unemployment. That's not always true. Driveline will find a way to contest, and you won't get a dime.
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  12:10:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Not sure how it is in all states, but in many states they have to prove willful misconduct. Since that does not apply in this situation, winning unemployment is pretty easy, especially if you have all your ducks in a row.

But DL would probably not fire you, they would just cut your hours to nothing and wait til you quit. I'm sure they are not so dumb as to flat out fire you for whining about not getting paid overtime since they are going against labor laws...and they know it, too.

I think one of the best things you could do in this case is to work one week with non-paid overtime that way you have a record of them not paying the overtime.

Man, if they get audited by the DOL, they are screwed and there will be major changes at DL. Maybe for the worst, but major changes for sure.

I say, to help make an impact, they should be reported to the DOL in the employee's state, the Fed DOL AND to the DOL within the state they are registered/incorporated, too.

If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

D-Elfe
Apprentice

Mosinee, WI
USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  7:35:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Did anyone see my post? Or did everyone ignore me? I was looking for a phone # to check up on my paperwork.
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  01:44:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D-Elfe

Did anyone see my post? Or did everyone ignore me? I was looking for a phone # to check up on my paperwork.

http://drivelineretail.com/contact.htx

Go to Top of Page

KrisInLuck
Contributor

Luck, WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  06:04:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LarryT
DL is what you call a cut-rate 3rd party merchandising/retail services company. They get contracts by undercutting the competition and cater to clients that are looking to save 3rd party merchandising dollars by accepting the lowest bid. They (DL) in turn, pay crappy wages (nothing illegal about that, though) and expect the most from you and try to get away with things like not paying overtime when overtime pay is legally due. This is par for the course for DL. I know this from experience and from others on this forum. I only stuck with them as long as I had to, but when I didn't need them anymore, I bailed. In fact, looking back, they actually cost me money in by hindering my ability to accept other opportunities. But that was my fault as I took the job realizing that this may happen...

DL is a textbook example of why being an under-cutter doesn't usually work out in the long run.

When I told my DL DM that there was no way I could complete a week of insanity for her due to my commitments to my regular, steady, higher paying company, she was all sweetness and light. But she never transferred any of the jobs to anyone else. When I couldn't get them all done, I emailed her and got an email back: "My daughter is getting married this weekend!"

Not sure how that's my problem, since I let her know in advance.

So I told her I was going to be finished after the following week. She called me then, telling me how that was a mistake because DL is "buying up" various companies and getting their work.

They won't be buying the company I work for.

For two weeks after my quit date, I was still getting emails about jobs not being confirmed or completed. I finally sent one back and asked why I was still receiving them. My last check was $18, but there's no accounting for how they reach that, and I'm telling you, I worked a LOT more than the two or three hours I got paid for. Since I could no longer access the system, I couldn't verify it. I chalked it up to experience and committed 100% to my regular gig. I'm working six days a week right now, plus mileage and drive time.

I'm a happy girl who is really tired!

Kris...in Luck, WI
Merchandising in West Central WI and East Central MN
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  10:09:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KrisInLuck

So I told her I was going to be finished after the following week. She called me then, telling me how that was a mistake because DL is "buying up" various companies and getting their work.

LOL. Nice scare tactic.

Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  10:15:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't work for DL, but if they are 'buying up' other companies, why is one of my companies taking over alot of the DL work in some stores???? Maybe those companies were going belly up anyways.

Does sound like she's trying to make it seem like DL will be getting more work. Of course, since it's 4th quarter, all of the companies should be getting more work, not for any other reason.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

DChristine
Valued Contributor

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  2:30:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Big Sue! Sadly this is very true about the majority of the companies now.
Go to Top of Page

MargieG
Valued Contributor

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  05:00:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have worked several years for a manufacturer who has a separate merchandising arm. The management had always been great until six months ago. They hired a DM from Driveline. He's horrible. He doesn't answer e-mails, his cell phone cuts off when you try to call him, he makes stuff up, and just doesn't seem to care about anything. I didn't think he would last long but he's still there.

Margie
MSPA Gold Certifed since 2004
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  3:53:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
just wait!!
Go to Top of Page

RobinMay

Theresa, NY
USA
19 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  4:53:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MCBarb

just wait!!

I take it as not good? One foot is out the door,just waiting to yank the other foot out.

Robin Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Candy607
Trainee

OH
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  7:17:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
UPDATE: I received an email today from Driveline Human Resources informing me I had been terminated effective yesterday due to a violation of their social media policy. I was confused as to what they were talking about at first since I was thinking more on the line of facebook/twitter etc which I do not even have but then I realized they have to be referring to my posting on this page (I posted/voiced my opinion on here on 11/1)and this is the only place I have posted.
Hmmm.. I am thinking my termination is retalitory and discriminatory unless they have fired everyone who posts on this site as well as all other sites like it. I will definitely be looking into this.
(Please feel free to inbox me with your experiences/suggestions)

Driveline is no loss to me. The past few weeks have actually cost more in gas and time then what they were paying and I had started with another company anyhow making more money as a new hire.

Candy
Experienced Merchandiser looking for Northeastern Ohio work. **RESET TEAM CABABILITY**
Go to Top of Page

MonikaJeanne
Contributor

Bethlehem, PA
USA
89 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  04:00:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This is all so very sad for some of you...no one should be treated like this! I am blessed in that the 3 merchandising companies I work for have NEVER treated me like this. Then again, I work for smaller companies..perhaps an advantage.
Go to Top of Page

Christina L.

Whitehall, PA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  6:51:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Any updates on this company? I am suppose to be working with them on their Master Merchandiser, I would have a circuit of stores?? Please give me any feed back that you may have. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  7:04:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The pay is low single digit, they very seldom pay drive time or mileage. The time that I worked for them 6 years, I went through 11 managers. I don't think they even pay anything anymore for ink or paper. They do have direct depostit, pay biweekly.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  06:34:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You will get a territory, have to check every paycheck, do heavy/huge resets wtih no help but on the lighter side you will get work and a raise every so often if you do your jobs on time. They do not pay overtime so do not plan on calling for OT as no one will answer. When it comes to doing balloons and cards service no over time again. They are famous for 15 minute projects that take well over 15 minutes to do also. Do the best you can. Good luck. Their busy season is coming up with many large resets to do and like I said no helpers unless you know someone that wants to help. That person (helper) will make $9 an hour and you make less. I hope you have a printer or all in one cuz you will spend loads of ink and use lots of paper too. I do not print everything cuz most of the time the store does the reset themselves.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums